Loud sonar deafens isle dolphin in study - News

University of Hawaii and other scientists are suggesting that sonar used by the military can cause hearing loss in marine mammals, but only when it is extremely loud and close. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Voice of Reason

Kapolei, HI

#1 Apr 9, 2009
The government should ban commercial airlines because they harm the hearing mechanism of the endangered "lesser striated mosquito".
Woody

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Apr 9, 2009
Horse Hockey, did They ask the dolphin?
The point of the evil sonar is the defence of human life. People first. The Chinese and Russians don't give a flip about dolphins.
put up or shut up

Iraq

#3 Apr 9, 2009
sounds pretty freakin cruel to subject dolphins to extremely loud sounds in captivity just to see if they can make them deaf.

Woody...I like the way you think. Can you imagine some Chinese or Russian scientist telling their government that they have to stop using military sonar because it might harm animals?
jjj

Wailuku, HI

#4 Apr 9, 2009
It probably sounds like the boom, boom, boom of those cars going by only it doesn't move...
willie

Farmington, MI

#5 Apr 9, 2009
""The animal would have to be relatively close to the sonar source, the equivalent of 40 meters (131 feet) from the Navy ship.""

So send out a memo to all the dolphins to stay away from navy ships..geesh.
Kailua Rat

Honolulu, HI

#6 Apr 9, 2009
willie wrote:
So send out a memo to all the dolphins to stay away from navy ships..geesh.
Since they can hear the ship and the sonar just fine I don't think you would need a memo to keep them away. If they swim with the ship while it's using its sonar, that would tell you something, wouldn't it?
Mike

Ronan, MT

#7 Apr 9, 2009
The new Cold War is with Red China and we must balance our military evolution with environmental concerns.
Rubba Slippa Man

AOL

#8 Apr 9, 2009
What????????
Great Kid

AOL

#9 Apr 9, 2009
I can't hear you????????
Mike

Ronan, MT

#10 Apr 9, 2009
We are still like it or not the world's policeman.Great empires have great responsibilities and one of ours is to try and keep the world as peaceful as possible and hopefully infused with ever encompassing democratic ideals. To do that we must continue to have the most advanced and effective military capability in the world.
Chang

Honolulu, HI

#11 Apr 9, 2009
Where is this red china garbage coming from? They are some of the largest capitalist that I know of, besides the US. Why would they start a war with the US whom their economy is based on? And how often do people think that subs use active sonar? What's the point of using active sonar when it gives away your position.
Mike

Ronan, MT

#12 Apr 9, 2009
China is rapidly developing an effective deep water navy. Our sonar capabilities must always be up to the task at hand. Let's hope that China eventually develops a completely free political system that can help us to establish democracy around the world. In the meantime we must be prepared for all contingincies.
WSS

Kapolei, HI

#13 Apr 9, 2009
Dolphins use their sonar to stun or kill fish. What about the rights of the fish?
wise up

Puunene, HI

#14 Apr 9, 2009
boy, you guys just eat the military propaganda right up, don't you? As for Kakesako, why not have somebody write the story who isn't embedded with the navy?
Tsk Tsk

Waianae, HI

#15 Apr 9, 2009
Main thing in article is that it is possible to do both, protect the ships and the dolphins. A far cry from what the enviro freaks used to believe.....of course they won't believe it.....goes against this pseudo-green mentality.

Should also go towards proving that the whale and dolphin groundings , etc were not likely caused by the sonar tests both here and in Calif.

That is truly good news
Squid

Netherlands

#16 Apr 9, 2009
Tsk Tsk

Waianae, HI

#17 Apr 9, 2009
Tell me "wise up" you ever worked with marine life?

Your post proved my point before I could even type it.
white elephant

Lahaina, HI

#18 Apr 9, 2009
Chinese and Russian dolphins have ear plugs.

Since: Nov 08

Eagle River, AK

#19 Apr 9, 2009
Chang wrote:
Where is this red china garbage coming from? They are some of the largest capitalist that I know of, besides the US. Why would they start a war with the US whom their economy is based on? And how often do people think that subs use active sonar? What's the point of using active sonar when it gives away your position.
That would explain why just last night the news reported that China had used advanced software to penetrate and potentially compromise the US electric grid.
Mike

Ronan, MT

#20 Apr 9, 2009
I say again we must be as sensitive as possible when it comes to interactions between humans and animals related to highly sophisticated military research.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
infectious bite Sep '14 carmen999 1
Can anyone tell me what this is? (Apr '13) Sep '14 kaitlyndupree121901 3
Discovery Channel Shark Week Crossover Rejections Aug '14 Todd Trumpet 1
Elecricity generated by sharks muscles Jul '14 Save Sharks 1
Life at the Harvard of the Arctic (Jun '14) Jun '14 Kevin 1
Fish ID, a Red Sea Fantail anemone fish?! (May '14) May '14 Tim Stobart 1
Marine Biology / Environ. Science Schools (Apr '14) Apr '14 Matt D 1
More from around the web