Visiting photographer documents the p...

Visiting photographer documents the plight of the polar bear

There are 19 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 12, 2008, titled Visiting photographer documents the plight of the polar bear. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This text is replaced by the Flash movie. He traveled to the ends of the Earth to photograph polar bears, fearing that one day, the only place he would be able to see the Arctic creatures would be in a zoo.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Don

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Nov 13, 2008
"A U.S. Geological Survey study released last fall predicts that Alaska's entire polar bear population and two-thirds of the world's polar bears might disappear by 2050 because of shrinking summer sea ice."

My biology professor told me that animals evolve into other animals if their habitat changes. If the ice melts, why don't these polar bears just give birth to aquatic polar bears? that is what has happened historically, right?
GDP

Plymouth, MN

#2 Nov 13, 2008
Facing the Truth of the Warming World - Say Steve, couple of things. 1. How do you explain the FACT that the global temperative has decreased in the last decade and in the last two years decreased significantly, relatively speaking. 2. The population of polar bears has been increasing for the last few decades and it presently at the highest levels in years. 3. Have you thought about adaption/evolution. Do think the bears might just find a new way to obtain their food source and / or adjust their diet instead of hunting on the ice pack?
FKObama

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Nov 13, 2008
Steve just realized he spent the "majority of eight years" capturing photos of the fuzzy creature he was hooked on and now has realized that no one wants to pay him for his photos so quick write a book and use the "climate change" angle to try to sell it to dupes such as schools and universities and such. Got to pay them bills somehow and there is a seat on the Al Gore bandwagon
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Nov 13, 2008
According to population numbers, the polar bear is thriving. This article is propaganda.
NoBS

Boone, IA

#5 Nov 13, 2008
I did not see plight in the photos in fact the bears look happy and well fed.
Cory

United States

#6 Nov 13, 2008
Funny, he spent eight years in the Arctic, and speaks of warming. Is he aware that the last three years, the arctic has actually had a cooling?
The cap ice shifts and moves. That is why it is called a cap. If it was not floating, it would be called land. It shifts, breaks off, re freezas and so goes the cycle. I know this doesn't fit many people's political agenda and want to change the behavior of humans. But, if you actually HAVE a brain, and do actual research, you find we go through warming and cooling cycles and have for 10,000 years +. If you go to www.icecap.us , you will see that the reports from this summer are BS and propeganda. The latest picture from September is very telling. See for yourself.

now, with that said, should we be mindless jerkoffs and not take steps to use alt energies? no. We need to be more conscious of our micro ecology. We need to conserve more. But the BS about the Polar Bears drwoning and burning up is justthat, BS.
MikeC

Wayzata, MN

#7 Nov 13, 2008
Denial is not just a River in Egypt!

Spend $7 and go to the University of Minnesota's Bell Museum of Natural History, 10 Church St. S.E. at 7 PM tonight, to learn some truth; not Palin's petro-science.
Gophers fan

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Nov 13, 2008
Ahh, nothing like reading the made up "facts" from anonymous posters. Wow, you found a website with articles that put an article about "global warming alarmists" next to an article about our impending doom from the next president. Just a bit of irony there...

So, instead of putting up a non-governmental, non-peer reviewed blog, I found this:

http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/polar_...

But hey, it's a lot easier to make things up and throw them on a message board. Check out the other info on the site. No mention of "thriving" or "growing" populations.
Tank

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Nov 13, 2008
The polar bear is doing just fine....take a picture during middle of winter on summer
Tank

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Nov 13, 2008
do you believe in santa clause too???
Don wrote:
"A U.S. Geological Survey study released last fall predicts that Alaska's entire polar bear population and two-thirds of the world's polar bears might disappear by 2050 because of shrinking summer sea ice."
My biology professor told me that animals evolve into other animals if their habitat changes. If the ice melts, why don't these polar bears just give birth to aquatic polar bears? that is what has happened historically, right?
MikeC

Wayzata, MN

#11 Nov 13, 2008
For the real scoop on Cory's icecap.us, visit http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php... .

The Web site domain name for ICECAP was registered on October 20, 2006 by Joseph D'Aleo, who is listed among the personnel of the Science and Public Policy Institute, another organization that promotes the views of global warming skeptics that is backed by the Frontiers of Freedom[2].

Frontiers of Freedom receives its money from tobacco and oiol companies (just follow the money trail).

The only question is: is Cory being duped? or is he does he have a reason for duping us?

The warming of the Arctic region is proven via direct satellite and permafront study evidence. Even the Bush administration is no longer in denial.

Don't be duped!
MikeC

Wayzata, MN

#12 Nov 13, 2008
For the real scoop on Cory's icecap.us, visit http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php ....

The Web site domain name for ICECAP was registered on October 20, 2006 by Joseph D'Aleo, who is listed among the personnel of the Science and Public Policy Institute, another organization that promotes the views of global warming skeptics that is backed by the Frontiers of Freedom[2].

Frontiers of Freedom receives its money from tobacco and oil companies (just follow the money trail).

The only question is: is Cory being duped? or is he does he have a reason for duping us?

The warming of the Arctic region is proven via direct satellite and permafront study evidence. Even the Bush administration is no longer in denial.

Don't be duped!
More bars in more places

United States

#13 Nov 13, 2008
Ok, so this guy has been travelling around taking pictures of animals and being an "activist" for the last 8 years......how does he get money to eat? Who is paying for this?

Where do you apply for a job that has the same requirements as retirement?
Cory

Green Bay, WI

#14 Nov 13, 2008
MikeC- Really? You blindly accuse a site that disagrees with your propeganda by partnering it with Tobacco and Oil? Do all Tobacoo and Oil people want to ruin the planet? Do they sit in offices like the Legion of Doom, hoping to come up with ways to kill us all? You are a FOOL. You go ahead and place all your faith in $80,000+ a year activits dependant on results to continue their studies. Read what I stated after I posted the website. CONSERVE, TAKE CARE OF YOUR MICRO ECOLOGY, ALTERNATIVE CLEAN ENERGY. No, don't attribute that to a reasonable person. They may get some credit. I cannot WAIT to see the explainations for this winter that is ahead of us. Should be a hoot....oh, right, Climate CHANGE, not Global Warming. tell me, what is the NORMAL temp supposed to be? 10,000 years ago it was alot colder than it is know. 750 years ago it was alot warmer. So...what is normal? Just wondering.

oh...by the way...NASA just posted a new photo of the North Pole Ice Cap. Check it out. There is only about...mmm...2 MILLION SQUARE MILES OF POLAR ICE CAP.
Cory

Green Bay, WI

#15 Nov 13, 2008
....don't the colder temps( below 0* F) make it harder for prey of Polar Bears to survive-in turn making it harder for the Polar Bear to eat? Just a question. what is the "ideal" for their survival? No one seems to answer that.....wonder why?
MikeC

Wayzata, MN

#16 Nov 13, 2008
Cory, I have no idea what you mean by "micro ecology" and neither does my search engine. I do, however distinguish between "climate" and "weather", which you use interchangeably.

Regarding oil companies. ICECAP's backer Frontiers of Freedom (FOF) received $230,000 from Exxon in 2002, up from $40,000 in 2001, according to Exxon documents. Exxon has no vested interest in denial of Climate Change? Of course they do.
Source - SourceWatch

Want my attention? Just point me to information produced by the the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) formed in 1988 by the United Nations and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) rather than a site referenced by http://www.globalwarminghysteria.com/ .

“m”

Since: Sep 08

here

#17 Nov 13, 2008
how do you catch a polar bear?

“m”

here

#18 Nov 13, 2008
come on someone must know the answer

“m”

here

#19 Nov 14, 2008
you drill a hole in the ice and put peas around the hole. when the polar bear comes to the hole to take a pea you kick him in the icehole

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is this thing I found? (Jan '16) Jul 17 Anonymous 2
What is this creature? Jul 17 Anonymous 2
Help! What is this bone? Jul 17 Anonymous 2
Unknown whale specie. Jul 6 Anonymous 1
help wanted! Apr '16 MPS237 3
What is this tooth/tusk? Apr '16 atooth 1
Limpets and drag and lift Apr '16 HeyHey 1
More from around the web