Scientists fight for lab's future - H...

Scientists fight for lab's future - Hawaii News

There are 11 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 21, 2009, titled Scientists fight for lab's future - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Kewalo Marine scientists who have been helping the community save Maunalua Bay from alien species and pollution are trying now to save their own $5.5 million research program.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

poidog

Paauilo, HI

#1 Sep 21, 2009
In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and the University of Hawaii wants to shut down an ocean research center which generates its own revenue? SAD
Local fisherman

Waipahu, HI

#2 Sep 21, 2009
poidog wrote:
In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and the University of Hawaii wants to shut down an ocean research center which generates its own revenue? SAD
Because the UH needs the money to recruit highly paid coaches for their athletics programs. A university spending money on academic programs and its library? Don't be silly!
Student Researcher

Switzerland

#3 Sep 21, 2009
I have worked at the facility for 4 years now and this story may remind many people about the football facilities problem a few years ago. The football program had little or no money thrown its way yet we were one of the top programs in the country. Our lab gets little or no support yet the research done there brings in a great deal of money and publicity for the school.
John Kamaka

Honolulu, HI

#4 Sep 21, 2009
.."I just don't understand. Why take a thriving facility that is making money and doing good research and providing a lot of opportunities for education, community service and management -- why throw it away? Kewalo is a good partner, the way science should work."

Good point, the reason why UH administration and most likely outside political interference (politicians/cronies) have different agendas based on the amighty $$dollar$$ wants this thriving facility to move. It sits on PRIME oceanside real estate...worth untold $$MILLIONS$$ to line the pockets of unscrupulus crooks!

To hell with research...lining their pockets have been the name of the game for generations in Hawaii "old boy networks". UH presidency and most of the top administrators are just puppets for the major banks that control Hawaii!

Martindale said the faculty is not allowed to write grant proposals extending beyond 2013 without Ostrander's permission. The lab also hasn't been allowed to hire in six years although it has two open faculty slots, he said.

Yeah, including that crony Ostrander, who has no credentials in Oceanic research...another puppet who got his high paying UH executive position for "brown nosing" some political wimp!
a guy

Honolulu, HI

#5 Sep 21, 2009
i wouldnt believe anything the hcda says they probably cut a deal with the UH to condemn the research facility all i the hopes of plowing it over and building their high rises. these people are crooks we saw this earlier when they took over the harbour and were and are still in the process of pushing out the local marine sports businesses located their so their rich super yacht private development can begin.
TTP

Germany

#6 Sep 21, 2009
In fact, Dr. Ostrander has a PhD in Fisheries and Aquatic Biology. I doubt that this is his decision.
noend

Ewa Beach, HI

#7 Sep 22, 2009
$500,000.00 for utilities and staffing????shut it down NOW
OneWhoKnows

Silver Spring, MD

#8 Sep 22, 2009
In response to John Kamaka:

There is truth in everything John said EXCEPT his characterization of Dr. Ostrander. As TTP pointed out, Dr. Ostrander has a PhD in Ocean and Fisheries Science.

The reality is HCDA/Ted Liu has always coveted this site. It was supposed to be one of the centerpieces in A&B's plan to redevelop that whole waterfront. Even though UH continues to screw up everything it touches in Kaka'ako, in this case, HCDA is the cause.
OneWhoKnows

Silver Spring, MD

#9 Sep 22, 2009
poidog wrote:
There are other facilities that would allow the work to continue. Perhaps not ideal but they work. "...much too difficult to go to Coconut Island every day for school..." So, pick another line of study. If you want to, you will.
nice

Singapore, Singapore

#10 Nov 22, 2009
this is madness
Ajax

Ukiah, CA

#11 Nov 22, 2009
They USED to bring in a lot of money. They don't anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
help wanted! Apr 26 MPS237 3
What is this tooth/tusk? Apr 21 atooth 1
Limpets and drag and lift Apr 6 HeyHey 1
What is this creature? Mar '16 captaincack 1
Strange fish mouth found. Please help identify. Mar '16 Anonymous 1
What is this thing I found? Jan '16 Shi 1
Dugong in Merimbula Jan '16 Pat 1
More from around the web