How to make an ocean friendly garden-...

How to make an ocean friendly garden--students give tips

There are 4 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 18, 2009, titled How to make an ocean friendly garden--students give tips. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Diverting dirty run-off water from your home garden isn't that hard, according to a handful of UC Santa Cruz marine biology students, and it could improve the ocean environment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Get Real

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Nov 18, 2009
It's spelled Yarrow. Good job editors!
Water is precious

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Nov 18, 2009
Very good idea. If you still have a lawn, you could make peace with dandelions and stop using the pesticides already, and reduce the size of it with some xeriscape features(drought garden).
On "bio-swales": a most attractive landscape
features I have seen is a shallow bowl/seep basin(from top, doesn't look like hole with the rocks)lined with flat smooth river rock, a "dry pond", dotted with irises, rushes and other water dwelling-type plants.
If your lawn doesn't slope, you could put a dry river bed/bio swale on the sidewalk side, or place rock hole/basin/bed where it appears to be lowest.
Also has the useful function of keeping the driveway from flooding in rainy season(it does happen).
Protection of precious resources(that we all SHARE)can be done simply with a little creative imagination. Using the brain keeps it alive. Have fun with it!
save the sea

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Nov 18, 2009
For storm drains, we could use bio swales, french drains and dry wells that can let the rain go back into the earth.
We could use decomposed granite pathways, rather the concrete impervious sidewalks.
Prettier, softer, less expensive and environmentally friendly.
John

Daly City, CA

#4 Apr 15, 2010
This article offers no new information; everyone knows lawns are inefficient and hurt the environment. Michelle Hall holds an embarassingly minimal amount of knowledge on this subject. Further, I happen to know she spends most of her time actively pursuing and sleeping with men who are involved with other women. Maybe she should stop feeling sorry for herself and attempting to find attention through her promiscuity and more time on environmental studies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sting on face in Spanish sea Aug 19 Jimmy 1
What is this Creature Aug 12 Ayesh244 1
What is this thing I found? (Jan '16) Jul '16 Anonymous 2
What is this creature? Jul '16 Anonymous 2
Help! What is this bone? Jul '16 Anonymous 2
Unknown whale specie. Jul '16 Anonymous 1
help wanted! Apr '16 MPS237 3
More from around the web