Pay for view - News

Pay for view - News

There are 77 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 14, 2009, titled Pay for view - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

What: Town hall informational meeting on a planned shark-encounter tour operation to launch three miles off Maunalua Bay Why: Area representatives and community groups will address public safety, operating procedures and impact on marine life.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Palu Palu

United States

#21 Apr 14, 2009
j-roc wrote:
<quoted text>
Palu Palu,
I'm sorry for being rude brutha but you need to think before you type. It's not like the sharks understand the 3 miles rule and stay that far out. They will follow the boats back into the harbor making it very dangerous for all of the ocean users in the path of the boat. This is a very bad idea in Haleiwa, Hawaii Kai or wherever. Although you are right that this may be bad for the shark tour company, think of how bad it would be for the overall economy to bring tigers and possibly white sharks closer to the south/east shores. How good you think it will be for tourism and the water sports industries (paddling, surfing, kayaking, boating, etc) should big shark sightings and attacks increase on the south/east shores. Sorry brah, but you way off base. As far as the media goes, yeah I agree they have agendas but in this case I'm glad they bringing this to everybody's attention.
Bra I do think before I type.

I saw videos years ago of huge tiger sharks swimming around a crab boat in Haleiwa. That's where they got the idea from in the first place.
They fed them and no one got eaten. While that boat was the slowest around, they didn't follow it back to the harbor. That theory is simply silly.

No records of increased attacks or sightings in 9 years now. People that are against the operators say "we see more sharks'. Do they? More than when? If there were more sharks wouldn't there be more attacks?

What the knowledgeable Haleiwa waterman who made the video understood, that most of us today do not, is we share the water with these animals every day. Those tiger sharks in the country, they are right there in the vicinity but rarely show up at the shark tour sites. Even when a White Shark stopped by, it never appeared again. I have to admit, when I saw the video of the white shark my concern was for the public beaches. It never happened. What did happen? More attacks on the Big island where there are no operators.

I do believe that DLNR needs to violate any operator with huge fines if they are not 3 miles off shore.

For now, let's keep theories, theories and fact.....fact.
Ocean advocate

Honolulu, HI

#22 Apr 14, 2009
Sharks follow boats and ships and can be conditioned to feeding patterns like dogs. For some open ocean species the sound of garbage hitting the water from large ships is like a dinner bell, much like rattling a food bowl or the can opener being used for Spot's evening meal. On Midway Atoll, the charter boats had to race to bring in their catches, the Galapagos sharks knew it was easy pickings anytime they heard a boat throttle down after a hookup. My advice to Molokai to Oahu canoe paddlers is, when you get near Hawaii Kai look before you leap from your escort boats to make changes.
JoeLocal

Honolulu, HI

#23 Apr 14, 2009
Where is SIERRA CLUB?

Someone is trying to make money off of the environment and the Sierra Club is not PROTESTING? WHY NOT - thats right these scumbags contribute to you guys so you don't say a peep.
feet in the water

AOL

#24 Apr 14, 2009
Not to Worry wrote:
"But the most dangerous part is that the sharks will quickly learn where the food came from, they will convey to our East Oahu waters in droves and they will instinctively figure out that the boat is “a food supply” and they will follow it to port and then swim around patiently waiting for the next day."
Oh my gosh, the sharks will be showing up in the aisles of Safeway!
Give me a break. How many shark bites have there been in Haleiwa sade? ZERO! It's a non-issues. And what a shock...the proprieter of a North Shore shark encounter opposes a south shore opperation (competition). Please! As for the swimmers...how often do you swim 3 miles from shore? Thought so. Come on folks, don't we have real issues to be concerned about here? Hawaii is going down the tubes! We're taxed to our okoles! We're about to get the "Train to Nowhere," and our legislators have no idea how to do their jobs. Focus on real issues, people.
Finding sharks in Safeway aisles? They would if they could. Fortunately they don't have legs. Wild animals learn very quickly where the food supply comes from. In National Parks, bears have learned how to raid camping’s and how to break into cars. Need to say more? And while we are on the subject, tell me a valid reason (beside possible financial gain for the operator) for this operation)
Haole Style

Honolulu, HI

#25 Apr 14, 2009
Did anyone ask "Malama Maunalua"?- a group of REAL community members working to 'take care' of Maunalua for everyone!
Maunalua Paddler

Ewa Beach, HI

#26 Apr 14, 2009
All those who use the bay are aware of a lot of boat traffic, jet ski's and paddlers. We are pretty much creating a daisy chain of motor noise attracting the habituated sharks following the fishing and dive boat in. Many comments supporting this dive tour are from those who do not use Maunalua Bay and are not directly effected by this issue. They are not aware of the heavy use from paddlers, and surfers.

Many paddlers paddle the Hawaii Kai downwind runs into Waikiki, we go out into the windline, about 1-1.5 mile out from the shore. That is plenty close to the shark tours if there are crossing dive boats coming into the Blinker buoy. And if Lolani does follow the 3 mile mark, paddlers are within a 10-15 minute paddle from his site. How long does a shark take to swim a mile? Not long.

A lot of distance paddle races, both oc1, 0c6, Kayak and paddle board follow this down run, with accompanied support boats during the races. With the sharks becoming habituated with the motor noise, water changes involving picking up and dropping off paddlers just became a huge risk. This is a recipe for disaster, its like one of the Shark dive patrons jumping off the boat without the cage. However we do not sign multi-page clauses with Lolani in case of death or dismemberment. Who is at fault when there is an attack?
ithink

Kapaau, HI

#27 Apr 14, 2009
Palu Palu, please check the facts. Check with pilots out of Dillingham airfield who see the sharks following the boats in. Check with the C&C lifeguards, there has been a big increase in shark bites on the north shore and shark sightings since the boats started operating. Check with the Coast Guard about the rescue of boaters from a capsized boat just outside the Haleiwa head buoy a couple of jears ago; CG diver assisting the boaters had to hurry up the operation because a couple of very large sharks were circling the underneath the people in the water. Check with the former Advertiser reporter whose board was bitten at Walls/Avalance. Check with the Haleiwa surfers who see more sharks in the line up than ever before and see turtles getting blasted by sharks. Check with the paddlers, whose canoes/boards get followed. Try get informed, Brah.
Palu Palu wrote:
<quoted text>
Bra I do think before I type.
I saw videos years ago of huge tiger sharks swimming around a crab boat in Haleiwa. That's where they got the idea from in the first place.
They fed them and no one got eaten. While that boat was the slowest around, they didn't follow it back to the harbor. That theory is simply silly.
No records of increased attacks or sightings in 9 years now. People that are against the operators say "we see more sharks'. Do they? More than when? If there were more sharks wouldn't there be more attacks?
What the knowledgeable Haleiwa waterman who made the video understood, that most of us today do not, is we share the water with these animals every day. Those tiger sharks in the country, they are right there in the vicinity but rarely show up at the shark tour sites. Even when a White Shark stopped by, it never appeared again. I have to admit, when I saw the video of the white shark my concern was for the public beaches. It never happened. What did happen? More attacks on the Big island where there are no operators.
I do believe that DLNR needs to violate any operator with huge fines if they are not 3 miles off shore.
For now, let's keep theories, theories and fact.....fact.
Bad Idea

Waianae, HI

#28 Apr 14, 2009
If you have any water knowledge it is easy to see that feeding sharks brings them in....simple.

Yes children, they do follow boats that are too slow bringing in a catch.....in fact there was one snorkeling boat that was feeding the nenue sandwiches that had turkey and sometimes roast beef in them.

Soon, not only the nenue came in but that boat was met daily by two reef sharks wanting to be fed too.

But the 3 mile part off of the east side is a joke.
There is no way a conscientious operator can set up and operate that far out on a regular basis.....on malia days it is doable but what is that 15 days per year? so the rest will be in the sheltered waters closer to shore.

I do doubt that we'll see any sharks in Safeway Hawaii Kai though....called professional courtesy.

Sorry Iolani, this one is gonna bit you in the a...
wdl

Honolulu, HI

#29 Apr 14, 2009
Terible idea. Someone swimming, surfing or otherwise enjoying the ocean off South Oahu is going to get eaten by a shark because of this.
mokumoku

Honolulu, HI

#30 Apr 14, 2009
What's all the fuss? Just a bunch of people jealous that someone else going make some money. Make it hard ... so that the government can force them to pay a special fee and tax. It's a big ocean and carcasses are in the ocean all the time.
concerned

Honolulu, HI

#31 Apr 14, 2009
For this tour operator, it is all about the money. He explains this under the disguise that it is to educate the public on sharks. RIGHT, wait till someone is attacked, then we will all be again educated on how dangerous and unpredictable Tigers can be. Hum, Maunaloa Bay is right around the corner of Hanauma Bay. Do sharks know there is a 3 mile limit? I hate to be dining at Kona Brew Rest and see a shark cage parked outside. YIKES
willie

Wahiawa, HI

#32 Apr 14, 2009
If the sharks don't get the tourist the land sharks will.
whitie

Wahiawa, HI

#33 Apr 14, 2009
More people get killed in cars than eaten by sharks. so, should we ban the car? Let them feed the sharks and bring them near the shores of waikiki. It will be great for businese.
WSS

Kapolei, HI

#34 Apr 14, 2009
I'd be more worried about the land sharks that beat up people on the beaches and break into their cars.
So it is illegal to chum for sharks to take their picture but it is legal to chum for sharks if you are "fishing", which results in dead sharks. Twisted logic.
bluemoki

Seattle, WA

#35 Apr 14, 2009
WSS wrote:
I'd be more worried about the land sharks that beat up people on the beaches and break into their cars.
So it is illegal to chum for sharks to take their picture but it is legal to chum for sharks if you are "fishing", which results in dead sharks. Twisted logic.
Yes, it is twisted logic but that is what our Western Pacific Fishery Management council wanted and that is what they got.
808Citizen

Seattle, WA

#36 Apr 14, 2009
Both State (shoreline to 3 nm offshore) and Federal (3-200 nm offshore) laws prohibit shark feeding.

Excerpt from Hawaii Revised Statutes:

§ 188-40.6. Shark feeding; prohibitions; exceptions; penalties.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), or as otherwise provided by law, it shall be unlawful for any person to conduct any activity related to the feeding of sharks in state marine waters.
(b) Persons may engage in the feeding of sharks for traditional Hawaiian cultural or religious practices; provided that the feeding is not part of a commercial activity.
(c) Persons engaged in the taking of marine life that results in captured, injured, or dead fish being incidentally eaten by sharks shall not be considered in violation of this section; provided that the purpose of the taking of marine life is not the feeding of sharks.
(d) The department may issue permits to engage in activities otherwise prohibited by law, in accordance with section 187A-6, or as may be otherwise authorized by law.
(e) As used in this section:
"Commercial activity" means to engage in any action or to attempt to engage in any action for compensation in any form. The action or actions may include, but are not limited to, providing, or attempting to provide, guide services, charters, tours, and transportation to and from the location or locations for which such services are provided.
"Compensation" means money, barter, trade, credit, and other instruments of value, goods, and other forms of payment.
"Feeding" means the introduction of or an attempt to introduce any food or other substance into the water to attract marine life for any purpose other than to take the marine life.

Excerpt from the U.S. Code:

Title 16--Conservation
Chapter 38--Fishery Conservation and Management
Subchapter IV--National Fishery Management Program
§ 1866. Shark feeding.
Except to the extent determined by the Secretary [US Secretary of Commerce], or under State law, as presenting no public health hazard or safety risk, or when conducted as part of a research program funded in whole or in part by appropriated funds, it is unlawful to introduce, or attempt to introduce, food or any other substance into the water to attract sharks for any purpose other than to harvest sharks within the Exclusive Economic Zone seaward of the State of Hawaii and of the Commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States in the Pacific Ocean Area.
Wait A Minute

Honolulu, HI

#37 Apr 14, 2009
mokumoku wrote:
What's all the fuss? Just a bunch of people jealous that someone else going make some money. Make it hard ... so that the government can force them to pay a special fee and tax. It's a big ocean and carcasses are in the ocean all the time.
Carcasses in the ocean all the time? I've been a spearfishing for 30 plus years and have never seen a carcass in the ocean. Even if carcasses are there all the time like you say, they're already dead. Were talking about saftey for those that are still alive and breathing that could end up dead because of this activity. That is what all the fuss is about. Nothing to do with jealousy.
concerned

Honolulu, HI

#38 Apr 14, 2009
808Citizen wrote:
Both State (shoreline to 3 nm offshore) and Federal (3-200 nm offshore) laws prohibit shark feeding.
Excerpt from Hawaii Revised Statutes:
§ 188-40.6. Shark feeding; prohibitions; exceptions; penalties.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), or as otherwise provided by law, it shall be unlawful for any person to conduct any activity related to the feeding of sharks in state marine waters.
(b) Persons may engage in the feeding of sharks for traditional Hawaiian cultural or religious practices; provided that the feeding is not part of a commercial activity.
(c) Persons engaged in the taking of marine life that results in captured, injured, or dead fish being incidentally eaten by sharks shall not be considered in violation of this section; provided that the purpose of the taking of marine life is not the feeding of sharks.
(d) The department may issue permits to engage in activities otherwise prohibited by law, in accordance with section 187A-6, or as may be otherwise authorized by law.
(e) As used in this section:
"Commercial activity" means to engage in any action or to attempt to engage in any action for compensation in any form. The action or actions may include, but are not limited to, providing, or attempting to provide, guide services, charters, tours, and transportation to and from the location or locations for which such services are provided.
"Compensation" means money, barter, trade, credit, and other instruments of value, goods, and other forms of payment.
"Feeding" means the introduction of or an attempt to introduce any food or other substance into the water to attract marine life for any purpose other than to take the marine life.
Excerpt from the U.S. Code:
Title 16--Conservation
Chapter 38--Fishery Conservation and Management
Subchapter IV--National Fishery Management Program
§ 1866. Shark feeding.
Except to the extent determined by the Secretary [US Secretary of Commerce], or under State law, as presenting no public health hazard or safety risk, or when conducted as part of a research program funded in whole or in part by appropriated funds, it is unlawful to introduce, or attempt to introduce, food or any other substance into the water to attract sharks for any purpose other than to harvest sharks within the Exclusive Economic Zone seaward of the State of Hawaii and of the Commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States in the Pacific Ocean Area.
This is true, however, this tour plans to operate outside the 3 mile limit which is still worrisome and may still result in dangerous conditions for people who frequently use the bay
alice

Pahoa, HI

#39 Apr 14, 2009
WSS wrote:
I'd be more worried about the land sharks that beat up people on the beaches and break into their cars.
So it is illegal to chum for sharks to take their picture but it is legal to chum for sharks if you are "fishing", which results in dead sharks. Twisted logic.
very true..too many sharks on land here.

Since: Feb 09

Honolulu, HI

#40 Apr 14, 2009
this guy needs to think of another business to run.

sorry guy, but i'd like the public to be as safe as possible out there in the bay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Just say no to Syfy's 'Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!' Jul 20 goonsquad 1
Strange aquatic life found in shallow basin poo... Jun '15 Trumpimp 1
Studying marine bio? May '15 Kate22192 1
why ascidian belong to phylum chordata? May '15 mark abrea 1
Should I become a Vet Tech. (May '07) May '15 ins 9
How problematic are dead zones really? May '15 Anonymous 1
Marine Biology / Environ. Science Schools (Apr '14) Apr '15 wannabemermaid 2
More from around the web