Fantastic voyage - Hawaii News

Using new diving technology, scientists discovered vistas of coral reefs and fishes never before seen in ocean depths of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument. Full Story
Tors Nyquist

Lindome, Sweden

#1 Sep 9, 2009
Fantastic! Kudos to Dr Kosaki and the Hi'ialakai researchers. Thankfully Bishop Museum, NOAA and UH-IMB have kept the funding coming in. We hope it will continue. This voyage will keep the Hawaiian Islands on the scientific research map for years to come.

Since: Sep 09

Honolulu, HI

#2 Sep 9, 2009
"Everything was fantastic, exciting and fun," said Bishop Museum ichthyologist Richard Pyle...he had collected a couple of specimens of the striped, black-and-white butterfly fish years ago...But it is un-described, he said. "If you're going to name a new species, you want a fresh specimen. The species was waiting for more than a decade to be properly described."

Typical human arrogance. This species was waiting to be properly described? I think not. The only thing it requires from us is to leave it alone. The only thing it is waiting for is the time when a natural disaster puts us back in our place as just one other species that occupies this planet, and not ruining it for all others with our rubbish and discarded nuclear reactors that already litter the oceans.
Dream Job

Honolulu, HI

#3 Sep 9, 2009
These divers are so lucky to be able to experience the pristine reefs. Amazing! Would love to volunteer to cook or carry gear, just for the chance to be there.
CMK

Honolulu, HI

#4 Sep 9, 2009
What ever happened to the much-touted predator-dominated ecosystem of a few years ago? You know, all those schools of ulua swimming around eating stuff up, taking food from the monk seals?
Mike

Ronan, MT

#5 Sep 9, 2009
A happy marriage of science, technology, human curiosity and wonder.
Randy Brewer

AOL

#8 Sep 9, 2009
I am a PADI instructor and an IANTD technical (trimix) blender and diver. Please take me with you. brewercr@aol.com
hawaii boy

Singapore, Singapore

#9 Nov 22, 2009
cool stuff guys

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
infectious bite Sep '14 carmen999 1
Can anyone tell me what this is? (Apr '13) Sep '14 kaitlyndupree121901 3
Discovery Channel Shark Week Crossover Rejections Aug '14 Todd Trumpet 1
Elecricity generated by sharks muscles Jul '14 Save Sharks 1
Life at the Harvard of the Arctic Jun '14 Kevin 1
Fish ID, a Red Sea Fantail anemone fish?! (May '14) May '14 Tim Stobart 1
Marine Biology / Environ. Science Schools (Apr '14) Apr '14 Matt D 1

Marine Biology People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE