Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated May 22, 2011
Scuba723

Romeoville, IL

#1 May 2, 2007
I want to work with marine mammals in the wild as well as captivity. I am graduating this year and am attending a local junior college for my first year. They offer a good vet tech program that i am considering. Does anyone know if this will help me in working with the marine mammals and getting a job? or do i have to have a specific degree to work with them. Any comments would help. thank you
Kaitlyn lifely

Canada

#2 Jun 4, 2007
I believe that my path in life is to work and better life for animals and would like to make desent income and not dedicate myself to college for to may years what path is right for me
karleen

Guelph, Canada

#3 Oct 11, 2007
i am also considering vet tech i am curently in my 4th year of marine biology and not sure what to do is there somewhere where we can get marine mammal vet tech training
Confusedgurl

Peterborough, Canada

#4 Apr 21, 2008
Hi there!

I am currently a Personal Support worker, and was apply to Nursing Colleges to become a Registered Nurse. Over the last few weeks I have been having a change of heart. I dont know if Nursing is for me any more. As a child I had hopes of being a vet, but as i grew up the passion depleted. Now this has come back to me and i am unsure of my next move. Any advice any one has would be most helpful!

Thank you :)
Not shure

Winnipeg, Canada

#5 Jun 2, 2008
I really dont know what to be i wanted to be a vet for most of my life then a designer and i really want to be both but i know i cant uhh i need help to know what to be if you could help me out i would really appreciate it.
casey725

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 Dec 9, 2009
karleen wrote:
i am also considering vet tech i am curently in my 4th year of marine biology and not sure what to do is there somewhere where we can get marine mammal vet tech training
Just happened to run across this and thought I would offer some advice. I have a marine bio degree and have worked with seals, sea lions, sea turtles, dolphins, whales and manatees. I obtained my vet tech training by working at a cat/dog/exotic practice for about a year and volunteering in aquarium vet services departments. There are VERY few marine mammal vet tech positions out there but they do exist. I would definitely recommend getting your registered vet tech degree. Best of luck!
casey725

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Dec 9, 2009
Scuba723 wrote:
I want to work with marine mammals in the wild as well as captivity. I am graduating this year and am attending a local junior college for my first year. They offer a good vet tech program that i am considering. Does anyone know if this will help me in working with the marine mammals and getting a job? or do i have to have a specific degree to work with them. Any comments would help. thank you
It can help but only if you want to work in an aquarium or possibly a rehab setting. It's a great thing to have but just know that there are few jobs out there for marine mammal vet tech however it can be part of another job title. In the marine mammal field it is very difficult to get a foot in the door without a 4 year degree just b/c of the sheer number of people applying who do have that. Also know that you will not get paid as well as your typical cat/dog/exotic vet techs do but that's ok b/c you'll love your job! I have a marine bio degree and recently added my registered vet tech degree to the resume. Best of luck!
jsmith_

Missoula, MT

#8 May 22, 2011
Not shure wrote:
I really dont know what to be i wanted to be a vet for most of my life then a designer and i really want to be both but i know i cant uhh i need help to know what to be if you could help me out i would really appreciate it.
me 2. any advice?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marine Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Discovery Channel Shark Week Crossover Rejections Aug 11 Todd Trumpet 1
Elecricity generated by sharks muscles Jul '14 Save Sharks 1
Life at the Harvard of the Arctic Jun '14 Kevin 1
Fish ID, a Red Sea Fantail anemone fish?! May '14 Tim Stobart 1
Marine Biology / Environ. Science Schools Apr '14 Matt D 1
Raising funds to promote Giant Sea Bass researc... (Feb '14) Feb '14 savedafishes 1
Good Textbook (Jan '14) Jan '14 Sam 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Marine Biology People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••