Tibetan Plateau may be older than pre...

Tibetan Plateau may be older than previously thought

There are 1 comment on the Science, Industry and Business story from Aug 17, 2012, titled Tibetan Plateau may be older than previously thought. In it, Science, Industry and Business reports that:

The growth of high topography on the Tibetan Plateau in Sichuan, China, began much earlier than previously thought, according to an international team of geologists who looked at mountain ranges along the eastern edge of the plateau.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Science, Industry and Business.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Aug 20, 2012
nice result.

Area of main Tibetan plateau also contains several volcanoes and behaved as a backarc basin, which naturally would have been telescoped by continued convergence between India & Mongolia.

Most of the region has now been well and truly telescoped with the listric faults in the backarc basin now outcropping as ranges interior to the basin margin ranges.

Region very closely resembles the Variscan range region of W. and Ctr. Europe of the Permian where the basaltic sector of the backarc basin subducted and dewatered producing numerous Variscan granites.

Will probably have difficulty locating the Tibetan plateau granites, may have to wait a bit longer for those.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) 4 hr Into The Night 2,395
News Magnitude 5.2 earthquake rattles Southern Calif... Jun 10 okimar 1
News Three Earthquakes Recorded Thursday Morning In ... Jun 9 AIPAC owns Congress 1
News Rise in Alaska Wildfires is Worsening Global Wa... Jun 8 IB DaMann 9
Black Rock Cubes - (Indian Money?) (Nov '10) Jun 6 PLEEPLIUS 5
News Las Vegas feels magnitude-4.8 earthquake 100 mi... (May '15) May '16 Stu Peddaszo8 6
Help identify this terrain May '16 vdBeukel 1
More from around the web