Hollywood1981

Stanfield, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

I live in North Carolina, not far from Charlotte. I can remember as a child, seeing small perfect cubes made from some sort of black rock. I have always heard the same thing about them: "That there is Indian Money." Up until now I geuss I have always accepted that definition. Not that I really doupt it now, I just want to know more about these stones. First of all, what kind of mineral is it? Does it form into cubes naturally? And was it REALLY used by Ancient Native Americans as currency? In this area of the country, the Cherokee was the most prominant tribe. I went to an estate auction recently and bought a pair of them.(I paid 5 bucks for them) One is about 3/8's of an inch cube, and the other is about 1/4 to 5/16's of an inch cube. I have never seen one as big as the larger one, so, if anyone can tell me anything about these stones, I would love to hear it.
Chris

Monroe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2011

Judged:

limonite cubes
Darla morton

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

When I was a girl I went to my cousins house and we would pick the stuff out of the ground. I still have a bag of it. We found your comment while looking for the mineral name. We think it is limonite. It does form Cubes in nature. Very cool.were from Charlotte too
WilkinsNC

Holly Springs, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

we too have it in our area ( roboro nc ) My great great grandfather used them in his black powered shotgun for turkey hunting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••