Maine earthquake rattles New England

Maine earthquake rattles New England

There are 2 comments on the WLOX-TV Biloxi story from Oct 16, 2012, titled Maine earthquake rattles New England. In it, WLOX-TV Biloxi reports that:

An earthquake that hit southern Maine Tuesday night rattled nearby New England states as far as Connecticut, including the Boston area, but caused no injuries or apparent damage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLOX-TV Biloxi.

Recent natural disasters

Kathmandu, Nepal

#1 Oct 16, 2012
Moderate earthquakes are extremely rare for this region. Reports have shown that moderate earthquake takes place in New England once every few decades.
The strongest earthquake recorded in Maine occurred in 1904 (M 5.9) in the Eastport area, near the state's eastern border with Canada.
http://www.disaster-report.com/2012/10/rare-m...

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#2 Oct 17, 2012
NEIC reported this as a small thrust quake via the moment tendor with vector direction as ~50 deg NE-SW ie. N.Mid Atlantic Rift-Sierra Madre-Baja Mexico.

Also downed the magnitude to 4.0 and depth ~6Km in the rubble pile at the top of the crust.

May be response to compression versus sierra madre range but may also as a result of the shallow depth be a response to isostatic uplift of Baffin region Canada.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Multiple Earthquakes Rattle Central Oklahoma Re... Jun 26 Nic 1
News Oklahoma Earthquakes: Is There A Liability And ... Jun 26 Nic 1
News 'Peak Demand' Is The New 'Peak Oil' Jun 25 r they keepin abr... 2
News How Much Oil Does the World Have Left? Jun 25 has consumption r... 1
News Risk Management a Oklahoma drilling regulator c... Jun 25 Doc 1
News 5.8 magnitude earthquake west of Willow rattles... Jun 24 u never really know 1
News Magnitude-5.8 quake shakes buildings in south-c... Jun 24 Eric 1
More from around the web