KotA

Muenster, TX

#1 Jun 21, 2009
I usually post over at the James Randi Foundation Foundation. They are a lively bunch of skeptics, who more often than not can field any science question I can muster.

These 'lines' have stumped everyone so far...

Google Earth:

22 degrees 55' 35.34" N
62 degrees 56' 34.42" W

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/image/2minsurfac...

10 degrees 10' 49.39"
49 degrees 24' 58.89"

The 'lines' also show up in this image:

http://topex.ucsd.edu/marine_topo/gif_topo_tr...

GEOLOGICALLY SPEAKING, what natural occurrence could account straight lines that continue on for a hundred miles, and intersects other such lines?

How straight are fault lines?

Do fault lines intersect each other?

“WEATHER is not CLIMATE”

Since: Jun 08

Pasadena, TX

#2 Jun 22, 2009
KotA wrote:
I usually post over at the James Randi Foundation Foundation. They are a lively bunch of skeptics, who more often than not can field any science question I can muster.
These 'lines' have stumped everyone so far...
Simple preservation of the transverse faults associated with the mid atlantic ridge complex. Picture the sea floor spreading out from the ridge. Not all sections of the ridge move outward at the same speed or time. These long lines are the remnants of the earlier larger faults. Note how they become obscured as the sediment covers them closer to the continents.
KotA

Muenster, TX

#3 Jun 23, 2009
Nacho Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple preservation of the transverse faults associated with the mid atlantic ridge complex. Picture the sea floor spreading out from the ridge. Not all sections of the ridge move outward at the same speed or time. These long lines are the remnants of the earlier larger faults. Note how they become obscured as the sediment covers them closer to the continents.
"Fault lines"...? Really...?

Please take a moment to review the series further south. One set of lines seem to 'radiate' out from one point, er 'port'.

Can you point to an above sea level example of intersecting fault lines?

Some have argued that the lines are non-existent, that they are an artifact of the mapping process.

“WEATHER is not CLIMATE”

Pasadena, TX

#4 Jun 26, 2009
Yes, faults. You will see innumerable configurations.

Sea floor spreading faults on the scale you are looking at in the maps, by definition, are not seen on land.
KotA

Muenster, TX

#5 Jun 28, 2009
Associate Professor Dr. Dunbar, at Baylor University, DISAGREES.

He writes:

"This is a good question! These are very strange linear features. There are three natural types of long linear features on the seafloor. There are (1) fracture zones, which are fossil transform faults that formed at the mid-ocean spreading ridges and are moved off the ridges in time as a result of seafloor spreading,(2) active and fossil spreading ridges, where new ocean crust is currently or once was forming, and (3) hot spot tracks, which are linear chains of submarine volcanoes believed to form over deep upwelling currents of hot rock in the interior of Earth. The lines you have pointed out do not appear to be any on these recognized features and do not appear on other maps of the seafloor. I suspect that they are in fact artifacts of the data that was used to make the image and are not real features of the seafloor.

Data on seafloor topography comes in part from ships that measure the water depth using acoustic sounding devices as they cross the oceans. If a slightly different speed of sound is used or the instrument is not calibrated properly, a given ship track may produce water depths that are systematically deeper or shallower than they should been. If this error is not found and corrected, the resulting map will contain an apparent linear ridge or valley along the line of that ship track. Some of the linear features you point out look suspiciously like ship tracks. For example, one of the linear features you point out is a nearly perfect straight line that emerges from the straight of Florida and goes directly to Bahamas Islands. This is hard to explain geologically, but is a perfectly reasonable ship track. Florida is home to several ocean-going research institutions. Another of the linear features crosses the Florida-Bahamas line and appears to extend from Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts to San Juan Puerto Rica. That would be a logical ship track of a vessel from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. So, my guess is that all of the anomalous linear features you are looking at are artifacts from the ship tracks used to make the map."

Later he added:

"I do not believe the linear features you pointed out are real bathymetric features on the seafloor and are in fact artifacts of data collected along ship tracks. Two lines of evidence suggest this:(1) Several of the lines extend from port to port,(2) Bathymetric maps based on satellite geoid measurements do not show these features. Note that with modern navigation, ships can steer pretty much any track they want, regardless of wind, current etc."

“WEATHER is not CLIMATE”

Pasadena, TX

#6 Jun 28, 2009
The lines I was looking at fall into his #1-3. I guess I didn't pick out the lines you were talking about. It isn't a matter of disagreeing, it is a matter of looking at the same thing.
Mark Bianco

Woburn, MA

#8 Mar 27, 2012
The intersecting lines west of Lima, Peru, in the Pacific, are especially compelling. They form a very cool star pattern. The vertical one, upon closer inspection, is about 25-30 miles wide and appears to contain small mountain ridges. It's just incredible how straight they appear!
spirallll

Tampere, Finland

#9 Jun 9, 2012
Mark Bianco wrote:
The intersecting lines west of Lima, Peru, in the Pacific, are especially compelling. They form a very cool star pattern. The vertical one, upon closer inspection, is about 25-30 miles wide and appears to contain small mountain ridges. It's just incredible how straight they appear!
Does these lines have connection to Nazca lines in Peru?
loveroflife

Lebanon, OR

#10 Dec 11, 2012
I have read the comments and they are good as far as they go. But what of the lines to the immediate east of Saipan? Far off the west coast of Peru are what... blocks of lines? And why do they sometimes follow natural fissures? This is not a boating accident!
Kevin

Adelaide, Australia

#11 Dec 17, 2012
Check out the grid patterns between Australia and Antarctica. They are thousands of miles long and show complex rectangular patterns at the nodes. Not natural and not artefacts.
LambertJason

Texarkana, TX

#12 Jan 13, 2013
The best evidence I've found to support the "ship track" theory is looking at the line just north of Bermuda. If you follow the line east, you'll find a place where the ship went off course and turned around to get back on the otherwise straight path beginning at South Carolina, USA and ending at the Atlantis Fracture Zone.
Terry Skinner

Columbia, MO

#13 Feb 27, 2013
Could this account also for the massive, angular anomalies that look like the foundations for large cities?

Two are located northwest of Easter Island: 17.18'06.57S by 113.42'27.93W. And one just west north west of that.

Another such block pattern can be found in the traditionally speculated location of Atlantis, between the Madeira Plain and the Canary Basin at: 31.06'20.92"N by 24.08'37.49"W.

The first are dark areas with squarish angles. The "Atlantis" location displays more of a large grid, as in the layout of streets and roads in a square city.
Stephen G

Sacramento, CA

#14 Dec 23, 2013
Is it possible these are remnants of ancient impact sites from extra-terrestrial objects?
D Bunker

Cognac, France

#15 Jan 23, 2014
Stephen G wrote:
Is it possible these are remnants of ancient impact sites from extra-terrestrial objects?
No.
Stephen G

Carmichael, CA

#16 Jan 23, 2014
Not possible? Hmmm... It's a pretty good theory don't you think? Maybe these are left over "shadows" of prehistoric impacts that existed prior to the ocean being an ocean? Is it possible that at one time this planet had no oceans? or atmosphere? or was simply a mass of dust? Not possible? No imagination I suspect. If one can't entertain the possibility of an idea, one can't possibly discover anything. Nein!
mark

Denver, CO

#17 Mar 24, 2014
What about all the lines south of Australia?6638
Ezincr

San José, Costa Rica

#18 May 13, 2014
I have just recently noticed these myself and finally googled them.
They seem to be all over the world on the ocean fool some places much more dense and hundreds of miles long, some intersect making triangular shapes, and others cross hatched into grid like patterns.
These to me seem like maybe giant collapsed underground tunnels or some type of under sea (slightly underground) travel system.
Some form what seem to be ancient possibly city sites because of the geometric patterns often the square and rectangular patterns have very regular hills in very grid like forms, maybe decayed under water cities or bases from civilizations long passed, possibly from extra terrestrial races that left or mostly left. Maybe some are still in use?

Also around the most interesting ones the quality of the image is poorer than surrounding sea beds, this makes me think they are intentionally blurred as to not be so obviouse. Maybe at global government request???

Why would one area fairly bland and filled in with silt or sedimentation be very detailed, and then just next to it where there are interesting geometric un-natural looking formations be so blurry as to hide details?

Who knows but they are not fault lines if you look at fault lines on the ocean floor there are almost always signs of compression or other natural procesees.
Look at a couple of long ones that intersect and point towards Mexico City, many in that group remind me of NASCA lines and seem to portray mathematical inteligence of geomatry.
Sorry for my horrible spelling.
Very interesting stuff though, and most so straight it points to intelligent design, in nature most processes form curvilinear shapes!
line solver

Fort Worth, TX

#19 Jul 21, 2014
They are nothing more than scan lines from the satellites that take the pictures. Notice that the "lines" are in focus and the other areas are not in focus. It's that simple. There are no lines on the ocean floor

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Early Earth - Now A Lot Less Like Hell Sep 17 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Earthquake: 2.6 quake strikes near Palos Verdes... Sep 16 Erin 1
4.2 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Near Guthrie Sep 15 Dan 1
Southwest's Earthquake Spike Linked to Injectio... Sep 15 go figger 1
Small earthquake rattles Northern California Sep 15 Faridmuti 1
Earthquake: 3.1 quake strikes San Jacinto, Calif. Sep 14 Kelly 1
Small earthquake rattles Northern California Sep 14 him 1
•••

Geology People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE