New Study Finds Major Differences in Deep Earth Motions of Volcanic 'Hotspots'

There are 1 comment on the Salem-News.com story from Nov 25, 2012, titled New Study Finds Major Differences in Deep Earth Motions of Volcanic 'Hotspots'. In it, Salem-News.com reports that:

The movement of tectonic plates over a volcanic hotspot typically results in a narrow chain of seamounts, such as the Hawaiian-Emperor Seamount Trail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salem-News.com.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Nov 28, 2012
Thaty one is interesting.

Definitely know that hotspots are not rooted to a specific spot on the CMB.

Definitely do not know of whereabouts of the louisville hotspot or the volcano chain resulting from it.

Appears thet S. Pacific volcanism related to hotspots is little charted in the literature.

Also DO know of one hotspot in region that has not deviated in position; this one is the Ontong-Java hotspot responsible fotr the current spreading of the Pacific & Nazca plates and currently topped by the Easter microplate. Ontong Java now in NW. Pacific, Other half of plateau basalt province now residing as a range plastered against, and under the Altiplano region of S. America.

Apparently spreading centre hotspots appear to be stationary for a long period of time.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 4.2-magnitude Michigan earthquake felt througho... 17 hr Wassup 1
News No reports of major damage from small earthquak... 17 hr Nelson 1
News New Island Off Pakistan's Coast May Not... (Sep '13) Fri shahid afridi 5
News Behind Nepal's Shangri-la image, poverty and mi... Thu not so lucky 1
News Preparations fall short for Nepal earthquake Apr 27 4500 gone 1
News Correction: Nepal-Earthquake Warning story Apr 26 Sam 1
News New Insight On Ground Shaking From Man-Made Ear... Apr 24 that not all 1
More from around the web