Genetic link to tobacco addiction fou...

Genetic link to tobacco addiction found? -- Diseases, Newsday

There are 16 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 2, 2008, titled Genetic link to tobacco addiction found? -- Diseases, Newsday. In it, Newsday reports that:

Scientists say they have pinpointed a genetic link that makes people more likely to get hooked on tobacco, causing them to smoke more cigarettes, making it harder to quit, and leading more often to deadly lung ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Observer

Englewood, CO

#1 Apr 2, 2008
not so fast with this genetic hockus pockus...my father and mother smoked heavily in the 1950's. both died from heart disease. I could never stand the smell of cigarette smoke, and for that reason alone I have never smoked
LOL

New Hyde Park, NY

#2 Apr 2, 2008
it wasn't me - it was my genes! how about accountability and responsibility?- i smoked for 12 years, quit cold turkey - cut the crap. stop smoking. accept the responsibility and get it done. no one else is at fault or is to blame that a person smokes.
LOL

New Hyde Park, NY

#3 Apr 2, 2008
not even the tobacco companies!
mightymouse

Smithtown, NY

#4 Apr 2, 2008
Oh this is good news for smokers, maybe they can use the "disability act" to protect the from discrimination!!!
Quackery

Shoreham, NY

#5 Apr 2, 2008
More anti-tobacco nonsense from the world of "science."
Lorinda

Bronx, NY

#6 Apr 2, 2008
Both my parents smoked, I do not. Had I started smoking, they would of admonished me for smoking (while smoking themselves).
LOL

New Hyde Park, NY

#8 Apr 2, 2008
smoke all you want - just don't blame anyone or anything else when you can't quit - it's called willpower
Mike in Manhattan

Round Rock, TX

#9 Apr 2, 2008
I just passed the 20-year anniversary of stopping smoking. I did the Smokenders program with the home version (i.e., I didn't attend any meetings). It worked like a charm, I went from 2 packs a day to nonsmoker status in about 5 weeks in 1988. I don't hear about Smokenders any more, and don't know if it's still around, but I give the program credit for helping me stop. I've never had a single craving, even once.
Islander

Stony Brook, NY

#10 Apr 2, 2008
Both of my parents smoked when the commercials used to say that it was "good for you" and both of my parents quit. My father quit after seeing a man in a hospital with throat cancer and my mother after many years just deciding one day to quit and she did.

My dad used to smoke cigarettes, had an occasional cigar and also had a pipe collection and used them all.

My brother and I have never smoked anything and never had any desire to.

Cigarettes smell bad and make you smell bad and I am also allergic to the cigarette smell.

My father is still alive and well and going on 85 years old. My mom passed away, but it didn't have anything to do with her past cigarette smoking.
Southbound

Kansas City, MO

#11 Apr 2, 2008
Figures, it's just like modern American society to give every weak individual an 'out' so they don't have to accept any responsibility for their actions. Maybe if these 'poor smokers' are compromised by this 'bad gene' we should give them handicap status so they can park closer to the store to buy more cigarettes.
This, of course, is nonsense. I smoked for 11 years and quit with one laser therapy session and a little willpower. No one (and nothing) made me smoke but me. No one but me was responsible for quitting. There can be no room in society for 'forgiving' smokers, fat people, drinkers and drug addicts of their personal weaknesses based on some genetic hocus pocus.
Frank

New York, NY

#12 Apr 2, 2008
If one has never smoked are they still addicted if they have the genetic makeup for the addiction?
See where I'm going here? Don't do it and you'll never be addicted.
I might be the world's biggest heroin addict but if I never do it then I have nothing to worry about.
The Frank Award

Shoreham, NY

#13 Apr 2, 2008
Frank wrote:
If one has never smoked are they still addicted if they have the genetic makeup for the addiction?
See where I'm going here? Don't do it and you'll never be addicted.
I might be the world's biggest heroin addict but if I never do it then I have nothing to worry about.
Your comment makes absolutely ZERO sense.
Brian

Huntington, NY

#14 Apr 2, 2008
Great, Smokers. Now you can blame your addiction on something other than you're own weakness.
non smoker

Dover, NJ

#16 Apr 2, 2008
I LOVE TO SMOKE wrote:
The only thing I enjoy more than smoking is smoking around former smokers and their children. In my experience there is no bigger a s s h o l e than a former smoker. And I've never met a former smoker who didn't crave a cigarette the moment they saw someone else smoking.
So tell yourselves how strong you are and how much willpower you have. I KNOW that you are full of s h i t.
I may be full of crap but I am a non-smoker. After smoking for 35 years, I stopped smoking ten years ago. Both of my parents did not smoke.
Observer

Englewood, CO

#17 Apr 3, 2008
LOL wrote:
smoke all you want - just don't blame anyone or anything else when you can't quit - it's called willpower
also do not use a dime of my tax money to pay for your huge medical bills which you incur as a result of smoking. If you get cancer from smoking, you get pain pills, and say goodnight...not hundreds of thousands of dollars to prolong your life for stupid actions you took while my kids can't go to a good college because I am paying for you instead of them.
Candy

Netherlands

#18 Feb 1, 2012
it wasn't me - it was my genes! how about accountability and responsibility?- i smoked for 12 years, quit cold turkey - cut the crap. stop smoking. accept the responsibility and get it done. no one else is at fault or is to blame that a person smokes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genetics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1 attached, 1 unattached earlobe (Dec '07) Jul '17 Chimera 55
News 'Everyone is African': Geneticist, professor ta... (Oct '16) Jun '17 None 25
Confused about Nutritional Mutants Jun '17 eighsse 2
South Slavs are indeed slavic May '17 Anonymous 1
Questions about SNPS (single nucleotide polymor... May '17 Anonymous 1
Developed an earlobe? May '17 RyuuBeary 1
Chromosome 10 inversion (Apr '06) May '17 Redox 19
More from around the web