Tongue rolling
Dom

India

#1 Oct 23, 2007
Both my parents and my wife and I are all tongue rollers, is it possible to have a child who doesn't roll their tongue?
Chemistry

Ames, IA

#2 Oct 24, 2007
I assume that tongue rolling is a dominant trait.
Let's say your dad and mom are tongue rollers, they could be heterozygous for the trait. As a result, you could also be heterozygous (do the Punnett square for percentages).
You marry a woman who is a tongue roller, and she could also be heterozygous. As a result, there is a 1/4 chance your child won't be able to roll his tongue.

“BasicGenetics”

Since: Dec 07

Seattle

#3 Dec 7, 2007
eh kinda hard without you telling us if your parents parents could do it, its either 1/4 your kids wont be able too roll there tounge or it will be 1/2
Anon

Nottingham, UK

#4 Jan 19, 2008
Yes, it is possible.

Tongue-rolling is a dominant trait, like Chemistry said.

That means you must have at least one T to be able to roll your tongue.

If you and your wife are both hetrozygous, then you both have Tt.

If that is the case, then the punnet square is Tt x Tt which results in possible geneotypes of TT (this child will be able to roll his tongue but won't be able to have children who can't.), Tt (which is really tT and Tt but the capitial is always written first - these two children would be able to roll their tongues but would be able to have children who can't) and tt (this child would not be able to roll her tongue)

If, however, either you or your wife is homozygous dominant then TT x Tt = TT, Tt = no, that isn't possible.

If that was the case though, you would be able to have grandchildren who can't roll their tongues, assuming your Tt child had children with someone else who was also Tt.

If you both had TT, then, mutations aside, you shouldn't ever end up with descadents who can't roll their tongues.

(What about your siblings, though or your wife's siblings?)
j dog

Brisbane, Australia

#5 Feb 25, 2008
hmmm what a bout a telaphone that you can smell through?

“Hi! I'm no longer here. ”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#6 Mar 9, 2008
Dom wrote:
Both my parents and my wife and I are all tongue rollers, is it possible to have a child who doesn't roll their tongue?
My husband and I are both rollers and we have one child who can't roll and one child who can roll and make the clover with her tongue.
Arthur

London, UK

#7 Jul 5, 2013
my ex can roll her tongue, I cant. We have two kids one can the other cant. whats that about???

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#8 Jan 3, 2015
Odd topic, but I can roll my tongue and eyes. Seriously though, can't anybody roll their tongue with practice; I don't think its a genetic trait.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genetics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr Sanford's theory of genetic entropy? Jan 3 pcx 1
1 attached, 1 unattached earlobe (Dec '07) Dec 30 liv 61
News How rattlesnakes got, and lost, their venom (Sep '16) Dec '17 was auch immer 2
News Rattlesnake Ancestor Was Venom Factory (Sep '16) Dec '17 was auch immer 2
News How our cells use mother's and father's genes (Sep '16) Dec '17 was auch immer 2
News Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Opens Prostate Can... (Sep '16) Nov '17 ReneeWilliamson 2
Why Nepalese Mongoloid doesn't like Indian people. (Jun '13) Nov '17 Soniya Rai 128
More from around the web