The Benefits of Our 100 Million-Year Relationship With Herpesviruses

Apr 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

We go back a long way with herpesviruses. Our evolutionary line has been living with these genomic parasites for more than 100 million years.

But do we get anything out of this relationship?
Comments
21 - 29 of 29 Comments Last updated Feb 1, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
amber amber b-bamber

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

[doesn't anyone just masturbate anymore? why is it people insist on having a partner? it's 100% save from STDs & then you can have a romantic relationship based on something other than compatibility in the bedroom, which is only good for so many years by the way you young'uns. marry for love, not passion in the bedroom.]

anyways, so out bodies produce that macrophage in response to the latent herpes virus, & that macrophage is actually helpful in warding off some serious diseases, so herpes is really helpies - cool! who knew herpes could be so helpful!
pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

all bs
Moonbeam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

Hanazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that Herpes B virus passed sexually like most Herpes viruses? What sicko would have sex or exchange spit with a monkey? I know there are those who long for the good old days of multiple partners and unprotected sex. But have some restraint. I guess some folks are just too perverted then I can imagine. I guess ol Rhesus was just on a long list of unprotected multiple "scores".
It can be put in food, water, aerosol. The best
way to spread it is by mosquito bite. Monkeys
only produce it in very small quantities, but
about 40 monkey handlers have died of Herpes B.
The trick is producing it and finding people
who can deploy it.
Got Real

Glendale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2008

As often as I have had blood tests the lab has never said anything about any type of herpes to me. So why the periodic cold sores? Or is the lab not thorough? The doctor is not forthcoming with information? Because of my parents swinging lifestyle I would not doubt I contracted some type of virus. Thanks Mom and Dad I might be one of those out of 1000 that survive whatever is made to reduce the population because welfare mothers are not sterilized. Gotta keep the population in check somehow.
Spoil Sport

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely concur on the spelling thing. However, I think we can both agree that the original commenter was not referring to an indefinite term of abstinence... just prior to marriage (if I had to guess). Perhaps the original commenter should've been more precise, but - logically speaking - that's no reason to completely discount his/her comment. Lastly, just because one waits to have sex after marriage is not a guarantee that either partner will not acquire an STD from their partner who may not have had the same values prior to marriage (or after).(Which, this last statement shouldn't be construed to mean that I think everyone should have sex prior to marriage because you're probably just going to get an STD anyway.)
All good points, although I think you went on a little too long on the disclaimers.
kelmark

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

Spoil Sport wrote:
<quoted text>
All good points, although I think you went on a little too long on the disclaimers.
hey here's a thought spell check. Your sence of humar is at 3 grade level just like my spell'in be. "Hey" here a thought. If spellings the mesure of intellegens them explain me. An try it with out my lack of ability to spell. you do not understand the prosses of thought just the prosses of memerising a sting of words like a trained dog. Sit simlpe one sit. and watch your spelling for god sake if you make a mistake they'll find out how simple you be and then the shows over.
Spoil Sport

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

kelmark wrote:
<quoted text>
hey here's a thought spell check. Your sence of humar is at 3 grade level just like my spell'in be. "Hey" here a thought. If spellings the mesure of intellegens them explain me. An try it with out my lack of ability to spell. you do not understand the prosses of thought just the prosses of memerising a sting of words like a trained dog. Sit simlpe one sit. and watch your spelling for god sake if you make a mistake they'll find out how simple you be and then the shows over.
garsh an u thot ah wuz trien 2 b phunney
planet steve gross

Grafton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

HINT :if you see herpies at closing time , maybe you should try leaving the bar earlier
Casey

Lund, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2012

Perhaps the original commenter should've been more precise, but - logically speaking - that's no reason to completely discount his/her comment. Lastly, just because one waits to have sex after marriage is not a guarantee that either partner will not acquire an STD from their partner who may not have had the same values prior to marriage (or after).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Genetics Discussions

Search the Genetics Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Origin of Hindu Brahmins (Aug '08) 22 hr husayn 178
1 attached, 1 unattached earlobe (Dec '07) Jul 23 Laura 32
Do Nepalese hate Indians? (Aug '13) Jul 21 nepali boy 36
Nepalese Mongoloid! Go back to EAST ASIA. (Nov '13) Jul 15 gudboy 9
Why white men get testicular cancer more than b... (Oct '13) Jul 15 Break Time 7
Whites genetically weaker than blacks (Oct '11) Jul 15 Mslayer 2
Why Nepalese Mongoloid doesn't like Indian people. (Jun '13) Jul 14 Me Myself and I 84
•••
•••