The Benefits of Our 100 Million-Year ...

The Benefits of Our 100 Million-Year Relationship With Herpesviruses

There are 28 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Apr 24, 2008, titled The Benefits of Our 100 Million-Year Relationship With Herpesviruses. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

We go back a long way with herpesviruses. Our evolutionary line has been living with these genomic parasites for more than 100 million years.

But do we get anything out of this relationship?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Got Science?”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1 Apr 24, 2008
*sigh* Remember the good old days when herpes was the worst thing you could get from having unprotected sex with multiple partners in a consequence free environment?

I should have been born a few years earlier.
Guess Who

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Apr 24, 2008
You get sucked....
Rodger

United States

#4 Apr 25, 2008
Hey! here's a thought! ABSTONANCE.
Who would have thought.
Spoil Sport

Baldwinsville, NY

#5 Apr 25, 2008
Rodger wrote:
Here's a thought - learn to spell. And if you're parents had been abstinent, where would you be?
truthist

United States

#6 Apr 25, 2008
Hi Cash. Cheer up, s'il vous plait. Remember you are the MAN for all seasons. :)
Cookie

Cuba, MO

#8 Apr 25, 2008
A mouse a day keeps the doctor away. I'd rather eat an apple.
henry wallace

United States

#9 Apr 25, 2008
Spoil Sport wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a thought - learn to spell. And if you're parents had been abstinent, where would you be?
Most people are born with herpes..everyone has it.
Disgusted

Utica, MI

#10 Apr 25, 2008
Spoil Sport wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely concur on the spelling thing. However, I think we can both agree that the original commenter was not referring to an indefinite term of abstinence... just prior to marriage (if I had to guess). Perhaps the original commenter should've been more precise, but - logically speaking - that's no reason to completely discount his/her comment. Lastly, just because one waits to have sex after marriage is not a guarantee that either partner will not acquire an STD from their partner who may not have had the same values prior to marriage (or after).(Which, this last statement shouldn't be construed to mean that I think everyone should have sex prior to marriage because you're probably just going to get an STD anyway.)
kelmark

United States

#11 Apr 25, 2008
Yes you get something from the deal. Herps rewards you with a pleasurable iching feeling when you dig at a fresh breakout. And it actually enhances your stimulation when your having sex. It increases your nerve sensitivity for a more violent and rewarding sex sesion. Some people even strategically get exposed to the virus in there special place. This is proof enough for me that there is no god.
dlp4548

North Anson, ME

#12 Apr 25, 2008
To quote the article:
"We aren't born with these viruses, but most of us acquire multiple infections of various types of herpesviruses during childhood."
I am not crazy about spelling correcting, but fact correcting I can get into, Hank.
Houndogger

Schaumburg, IL

#13 Apr 25, 2008
Doesn't anyone just get cold sores any more? You know, Herpes simplex. Now its this genital variety. Wait a minute...where have you had your mouth?

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

Since: Jul 07

San Diego, but now: The Woods

#14 Apr 25, 2008
truthist wrote:
<quoted text>Hi, so interesting. Thank you very much.
I had missed you in the neighborhood for a while. Wishing you all the nice stuff.:)
Hi! Yes, I missed being here - busy, busy. Wishing you all the nice stuff, too and the time to enjoy it.

:)

I had fun with the researcher's name, but his work is really brilliant. I'm thankful we have folks that are fascinated by how our bodies can interact with what we are exposed to.

A little virus exposure here, some gene manipulation there and who knows what diseases may be prevented or cured?

“Up and out, or down and out”

Since: Apr 08

Quitman, LA

#15 Apr 25, 2008
So, it appears that herpes primes the pump of the antibody system. We must have co-evolved for a long time, since it only causes sores and scabs.
Moonbeam

United States

#16 Apr 25, 2008
The Herpes B virus from the Rhesus Monkey is the
deadliest virus known to man. It is probably the
deadlyest pathogen that can be produced. Some
strains kill 999 people out of 1,000. Reference:
Dr. Walter Schelenberg's book " In Hitler's Secret
Service", pages 195-200. Almost all doctors are
afraid to even work with the "B" Virus.
Captain Obvious

Montgomery, AL

#17 Apr 25, 2008
Rodger wrote:
Who would have thought.
Chastity works!

So does spell check (most of the time).
Hanazdad

United States

#18 Apr 25, 2008
Cash wrote:
*sigh* Remember the good old days when herpes was the worst thing you could get from having unprotected sex with multiple partners in a consequence free environment?
I should have been born a few years earlier.
Cash you must be pretty old now, I would guess either at least mid 50's or 60's. In my early 20's we were all warned about that mysterious fatal virus/cancer spreading first among gay and drug users and soon thereafter str8 groups. I am in my early 50's now and I wised up in the late 70's or 1980 or so. Either you are old and nearing the close of any sexual activity or you were one of the millions of insensitive stupid promiscuous people who continued wanton lifestyles help spread the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Unsafe anonomous sex has never been socially acceptable or medically safe. It is sad that some still look back on those good old days where their sadly shortsited selfish selfcentered dangerous lifestyle helped promote the killing of millions.
Hanazdad

United States

#19 Apr 25, 2008
Moonbeam wrote:
The Herpes B virus from the Rhesus Monkey is the
deadliest virus known to man. It is probably the
deadlyest pathogen that can be produced. Some
strains kill 999 people out of 1,000. Reference:
Dr. Walter Schelenberg's book " In Hitler's Secret
Service", pages 195-200. Almost all doctors are
afraid to even work with the "B" Virus.
Is that Herpes B virus passed sexually like most Herpes viruses? What sicko would have sex or exchange spit with a monkey? I know there are those who long for the good old days of multiple partners and unprotected sex. But have some restraint. I guess some folks are just too perverted then I can imagine. I guess ol Rhesus was just on a long list of unprotected multiple "scores".
DS in NJ

Newark, NJ

#20 Apr 25, 2008
Rodger wrote:
Who would have thought.
Here's a thought: Spelling!!!
amber amber b-bamber

United States

#21 Apr 25, 2008
[doesn't anyone just masturbate anymore? why is it people insist on having a partner? it's 100% save from STDs & then you can have a romantic relationship based on something other than compatibility in the bedroom, which is only good for so many years by the way you young'uns. marry for love, not passion in the bedroom.]

anyways, so out bodies produce that macrophage in response to the latent herpes virus, & that macrophage is actually helpful in warding off some serious diseases, so herpes is really helpies - cool! who knew herpes could be so helpful!
pat

United States

#22 Apr 25, 2008
all bs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genetics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chromosome 4 inversion May 19 Howdie 1
News Homosexual behavior due to genetics and environ... (Jun '08) Apr '16 Belles Echoes 252
Why Nepalese Mongoloid doesn't like Indian people. (Jun '13) Mar '16 dristi tamang 122
1 attached, 1 unattached earlobe (Dec '07) Feb '16 abbymom23 41
Trihybrid Cross/Forked-Line Method (Jan '08) Feb '16 Lian 9
News Origin of Hindu Brahmins (Aug '08) Jan '16 MUQ2 191
3 Earlobes Jan '16 Adamcoo 1
More from around the web