10 tips for a green retirement

Aug 21, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBS News

Playing with my 2 1/2-year-old granddaughter recently, it occurred to me there's a very good chance she'll be alive for another 90 or 100 years.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Aug 22, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

"it occurred to me there's a very good chance she'll be alive for another 90 or 100 years."

Not if the denialists keep blocking progress. She is more likely to die young from pollution, war or food shortages.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

Oh, and replace your incandescent and CF bulbs with the Philips LED bulbs. They aren't cheap (some coupons help) but they will last just about forever and the light quality is very very good, while consuming only about 20% of the energy of incandescent light).

I bought three for about $15 each (sale plus Ontario energy saving coupon). They allow me to light up the place for the energy of a 25 watt light (using two in a fixture). I'll probably pass them on to my grandchildren in my will. Hope they won't fight over them.. ;-)

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

1. Downsize your house. A smaller house will save on energy bills as well as property taxes and maintenance.(Really? How do you downsize when your home is 1000 square feet?) Townhomes, condos and apartments are particularly bad for the environment because the lawns are maintained by others who use herbicides, pesticides and mowers, tractors and weed whips that use oil and gas to cut the lawn which leaves no habitat for the wild creatures to nest or find food and shelter.

2. If possible, move far away from day-to-day retail and service outlets, restaurants and social settings. This lets you rest easily and quietly, eat your food in peace and entertain friends and family, saving your sanity and marriage while reducing your exposure to idiot neighbors.

3. Use your car less by walking or biking to as many places as possible. You'll get mowed down by other drivers, and hopefully, they'll have insurance. Not only will you save money on transportation, but you'll also get a free ambulance ride to boot. Note that you might be able to get a triple knee replacement and a neck brace by combining tips 1, 2 and 3.

4. Share housing with friends or family. Also share toothbrushes, soap, wash cloths and toilet paper. Sharing toiletries enables you to stretch your retirement income a lot farther. It also messes up the DNA should one of you get arrested for a crime.

5. Take public transportation whenever possible, saving money while reducing your energy consumption. Since we have more time on our hands, we can wonder what's in the suspicious package on the seat at the back. Besides, it's not everyday we get patted down and strip searched by a nice looking young lady, or man...whatever your preference. We might even enjoy life more, leaving the driving to others who may be under the influence, or on the verge of a heart attack, stroke or seizure. But hey, we're meeting people as we go.

6. If you need a new car, buy a large pick up truck. They are the safest vehicles on the road. Need I say more?

7. If you need to work because your financial resources aren't sufficient to retire completely, then you should have never retired in the first place.

8. Eat less meat. Factory farmed meat that is. Hunting for your own food is not only easier on the environment, it's also less expensive and healthier for us, which will reduce your medical bills and trips to the store. Not to mention, save a few cows and pigs from a life of injections, confinement and torture.

9. Grow your own fruits and vegetables. You'll eat cheaper, fresher, tastier food if the rabbits don't get it first.

10. Rip up your lawn, and replace it with landscaping that uses less water, gas (for mowing), and chemical fertilizers and pesticides. That's commonly called "native landscaping." I've been doing it for years. By using native plantings, you'll create native wildlife habitat. And if you combine this tip with tip 9, you can attract some really cool birds to share the bounty.

I have taken many green steps of my own, and I find most people who tout "green" malarkey is really clueless. In fact, they are brain-dead. I say this not to brag or preach, or to imply that I'm perfect -- well, pretty close.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Oh, and replace your incandescent and CF bulbs with the Philips LED bulbs. They aren't cheap (some coupons help) but they will last just about forever and the light quality is very very good, while consuming only about 20% of the energy of incandescent light).
I bought three for about $15 each (sale plus Ontario energy saving coupon). They allow me to light up the place for the energy of a 25 watt light (using two in a fixture). I'll probably pass them on to my grandchildren in my will. Hope they won't fight over them.. ;-)
Not only are they not cheap, they are hazardous your health.
http://www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl-d...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only are they not cheap, they are hazardous your health.
http://www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl-d...
LED not CFL you moron. What a dim witted boob you are. Any more random nonsense to impart?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
LED not CFL you moron. What a dim witted boob you are. Any more random nonsense to impart?
I will only use the bulbs outlawed by the government! So there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••