UN Warns of Widening Climate Gap

UN Warns of Widening Climate Gap

There are 3 comments on the ABC News story from Nov 21, 2012, titled UN Warns of Widening Climate Gap. In it, ABC News reports that:

A U.N. report on rising greenhouse gas emissions reminded world governments Wednesday that their efforts to fight climate change are far from enough to meet their stated goal of limiting global warming to 2 degrees Celsius .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Nov 21, 2012
Last summer we were told that US emissions were below 1996 levels. It appears we are doing our part in emission reductions.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#2 Nov 21, 2012
Auto designs to reduce emissions are proceeding with practical, if not overwhelming results.

The best are the early & long standing efforts by Toyota in their Prius design. Mostly avoided & demeaned by car enthusiasts, the public is buying the cars, which deliver 50+mpg real-world by a surprisingly high percentage of drivers. The amazing information is the 50+mpg figure is obtained not only on open highway driving, but in-city, also! Other Hybrids try, but the emphasis on SUV styles hurt mpg figures(but better than previous SUVs).

Non-hybrid turbo-charging designs, specifically made to increase mpg have appeared that work well, at least in the present short-term. The Chevy Eco-Cruze obtains high 40mpg on the highway & sometimes 50+mpg with careful driving. The Cruze is..... kind of roomy. The Dodge Dart is trying to say,'Me too'. Ford & Mazda have extra cost cars with 40mpg EPA ratings. A car with low power, but...... kind of roomy too, is the Nissan Versa sedan w/CVT which can obtain 42-45mpg with careful highway driving. The 2013 Versa has upped its mpg with some CVT computer tech changes.

One Ford 3-cylinder turbo design, that have worked in other countries to gain mpg, is coming to the U.S. Other 3-cylinder designs may come, one being a Nissan supercharged affair that has worked without the supercharger for years in other countries. The car, itself, may be one of Nissan's better lookers, altho that isn't saying much. They may catch on, if the extra vibration & sound, which limit engine size, isn't too obnoxious. Hopefully, the engine durability is good, despite the vibration. Six & 4 cylinder vehicles finally caught on in the U.S. The 3-cylinder........ we'll see!
PHD

Oak Park, MI

#3 Nov 21, 2012
I'm sure when someone manufactures that 80 mpg auto one of the Big Auto Ind. owner's will have it crushed. Think back if your old enough in the very early 70's there was a opel built in someone’s garage that averaged 170+ - MPG and one of the BIG Three bought it and crushed it. It was featured in one of the leading auto magazines back then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Environment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 8 min Coffee Party 380,971
More environmentally friendly bikes 16 hr Billy Smith 2
News TL;DR: Five Themes to Up-cycle from the Green I... Apr 24 Lucy Ann Jane 1
News Climate Collusion? AGs accused of working with ... Apr 23 goonsquad 12
Fracking: Progress or Poison? (Apr '15) Apr 22 Into The Night 1,005
News 300 Scientists Want NOAA To Stop Hiding Its Glo... Apr 22 litesong 102
News EPA Head Admits Clean Power Plan Wouldn't Impac... Apr 22 bamawatt 2
More from around the web