Group Opposes Madison Proposal to Reopen Shenandoah Entrance

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Madison County wants to move forward with a plan to reopen its gateway into Shenandoah National Park but now, a group near the proposed park entrance is pushing back.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

"the environmental questions that are going to be raised about the air and water quality from the traffic"

The quickest way to shut down progress is to cite "environmental concerns" and then some well funded leftist group like the Sierra Club will come running. The theory of man made climate change by the emissions of Co2 has been debunked. However we should protect our streams from run off of nearby roads and the like. That is the balance that should be struck.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Giving rogue hunters another way to ply their nefarious acts is reason enough to keep this closed.
hondacivic

Staunton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

I'm all for protecting the environment, but the argument from the Rapidan Camps seems pretty weak. The guidelines for the entrance call for 28,530 vehicles for the entire year. Most roads probably see that in one day. The trees in the area will take care of that amount of CO2. I have looked at their website and see that they rent the cabins out to members and some non-members. As a business, I am sure that increased traffic by their location will benefit their business greatly. The ability of being able to rent a cabin and get away from the city life will appeal to a number of people. I hope he will weigh the pros and cons carefully before putting up a full fight to prevent it.
Dude

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Sounds like the cabin owner is trying to be a tiddy baby!
amaithi

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

this is ridiculous! the national parks are paid for by taxpayers dollars. we have a right to access them. this is akin to the argument going on about who owns the bottom of a river. just because a king of england said that the property owner owns it doesn't make it right and it should change. just because hoover said, "don't come near my camp, close the gate!" does not mean it should stay that way. change is a way of life...it is time to change. open the damn gate!
madison resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Why do we need this when I can already drive up to the gate and walk to Camp Hoover? Just another complicated way to get more money.
local

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

The spread sheet attached is a joke. Been traveling this road for forty plus years, fished the river, hiked the trails and even set a spell on the rocks winter, spring summer and fall.

This road without serious improvement will not support 28,000 vehicles a year. There will be serious environmental issues if this many vehicles or even a fraction of them travel this route. Sediment from the ground up rock dust from wheel slip alone will end up in the river and settle in the trout pools thus eliminating them. Thus no more native trout. Neglected maintenance coupled with people not knowing how to drive mountain roads coupled with sudden storms will further damage the area. Leaking vehicles in the proposed quantity will contaminate the ground and surface water. The higher traffic volume will add noise and dust destroying the peacefulness and fresh air.

Need I say more.
Madisonian

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Danged dumbest idea to come along in quite awhile. A good way to ruin another nice peaceful,quiet place. No, Mr. Hoch, not everyone from Madison wants this. why don't you just go on back from where you came and take Waste Management with ya. Leave Madison to us Locals.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

C-Ville Patriot wrote:
The quickest way to shut down progress is to cite "environmental concerns"
you say potato, i say potahto
spoken like a true realtor...progress, mother earth be damned
Mike

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

local wrote:
The spread sheet attached is a joke. Been traveling this road for forty plus years, fished the river, hiked the trails and even set a spell on the rocks winter, spring summer and fall.
This road without serious improvement will not support 28,000 vehicles a year. There will be serious environmental issues if this many vehicles or even a fraction of them travel this route. Sediment from the ground up rock dust from wheel slip alone will end up in the river and settle in the trout pools thus eliminating them. Thus no more native trout. Neglected maintenance coupled with people not knowing how to drive mountain roads coupled with sudden storms will further damage the area. Leaking vehicles in the proposed quantity will contaminate the ground and surface water. The higher traffic volume will add noise and dust destroying the peacefulness and fresh air.
Need I say more.
Many of those 28,000 cars will contain children, which will be taught a love and respect of the park. If not for this access, they might miss the opportunity if its made too hard for busy parents to access. Think long term.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of those 28,000 cars will contain children, which will be taught a love and respect of the park. If not for this access, they might miss the opportunity if its made too hard for busy parents to access. Think long term.
What a ridiculous argument. Rtes 33 and 211 are maybe 20 miles in either direction, an extra 20 minutes ain't gonna result in no lost opportunities.
Guardian

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

That public road should have been open years ago, just because you own property adjacent to the road that you did not build, does not give you exclusive access to the right of way afforded by that public road. Open it, and be done with it.
Donna

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Please keep the gate in place, don't open it up to polluting cars and people. If you let cars in you take a chance of injuring hikers and horse back riders.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

C-Ville Patriot wrote:
"the environmental questions that are going to be raised about the air and water quality from the traffic"
The quickest way to shut down progress is to cite "environmental concerns" and then some well funded leftist group like the Sierra Club will come running. The theory of man made climate change by the emissions of Co2 has been debunked. However we should protect our streams from run off of nearby roads and the like. That is the balance that should be struck.
Not only has it not been debunked, but it has been supported by a Koch brother funded study.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...

The Koch brothers have been spending billions to try to debunk it, and in their efforts, have done nothing but reinforce it, now they're spending billions in trying to bury the findings they've spent billions in trying to disprove.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

amaithi wrote:
this is ridiculous! the national parks are paid for by taxpayers dollars. we have a right to access them. this is akin to the argument going on about who owns the bottom of a river. just because a king of england said that the property owner owns it doesn't make it right and it should change. just because hoover said, "don't come near my camp, close the gate!" does not mean it should stay that way. change is a way of life...it is time to change. open the damn gate!
If I use the same syllogism; I should be able to dump my trash there, right? I mean, we have a right to it, right?

Charlottesville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

huck wrote:
<quoted text>
you say potato, i say potahto
spoken like a true realtor...progress, mother earth be damned
Baaaaa....Baaaaaa
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Foxnews Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Baaaaa....Baaaaaa
irony is your name

Charlottesville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Not only has it not been debunked, but it has been supported by a Koch brother funded study.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...
The Koch brothers have been spending billions to try to debunk it, and in their efforts, have done nothing but reinforce it, now they're spending billions in trying to bury the findings they've spent billions in trying to disprove.
I remember being in elementary school in the 70's and at that time the environmental religion was CFC's were burning a hole in the Ozone and it didn't happen. In fact the same idiot who caused a global movement to remove all CFC's from aerosol cans admitted several years ago his conclusion was wrong. I forget his name but I will look for it a little later.

Then we had the Global Warming religion. And oh my god did you guys jump into that with both feet. Pictures of Starving Polar Bears swimming for miles across the Artic to find food. Receding glaciers and ice caps Florida under water in 20 years. There have been so many instances of incorrect data that has refuted all of those claims. But just like the IRS you want to squash any opposition speech.

Well since the globe was found not to be warming the environuts along with suckers like you do what they always do; they changed the name of their movement again so that the funding and donations keep rolling in. Now it's climate change!

Al Gore has become a very wealthy hypocrite pedaling his lies to idiots but all you guys can talk about is the Koch brothers.
Jest

Galax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

C-Ville Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>I remember being in elementary school in the 70's and at that time the environmental religion was CFC's were burning **** in the Ozone and it didn't happen. In fact the same idiot who caused a global movement to remove all CFC's from aerosol cans admitted several years ago his conclusion was wrong. I forget his name but I will look for it a little later.
Then we had the Global Warming religion. And oh my god did you guys jump into that with both feet. Pictures of Starving Polar Bears swimming for miles across the Artic to find food. Receding glaciers and ice caps Florida under water in 20 years. There have been so many instances of incorrect data that has refuted all of those claims. But just like the IRS you want to squash any opposition speech.
Well since the globe was found not to be warming the environuts along with suckers like you do what they always do; they changed the name of their movement again so that the funding and donations keep rolling in. Now it's climate change!
Al Gore has become a very wealthy hypocrite pedaling his lies to idiots but all you guys can talk about is the Koch brothers.
I love how you failed to provide a single source for any of the moronic claims you made. Par for the course for you fake conservative Teabagging yokels, but it doesn't make it any less easier for the rest of us rational people to deal with.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

C-Ville Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>I remember being in elementary school in the 70's and at that time the environmental religion was CFC's were burning **** in the Ozone and it didn't happen. In fact the same idiot who caused a global movement to remove all CFC's from aerosol cans admitted several years ago his conclusion was wrong. I forget his name but I will look for it a little later.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/07/...

Do you try to be ignorant, or are you just genetically stupid? Seriously, I told my wife I was going to be nicer on the internet, but morons like you make it impossible. BTW, everyone, and I mean everyone, in the scientific community agree that climate change is real, the argument is whether it is anthropomorphic or not. Even a Koch Brother funded study backs data that finds climate change to be anthropomorphic. The only reason people talk about the Koch Brothers is because they led the denier tea party charge. I could not care less about Al Gore, it was the Koch Brother funded study that swayed my opinion, not Al Gore. Look, if you set out to disprove something, and in that effort prove it... drrrrrr... here's your sign.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••