Life-sparking 'wet asteroid' debris f...

Life-sparking 'wet asteroid' debris found orbiting white dwarf

There are 1 comment on the Russia Taday story from Oct 11, 2013, titled Life-sparking 'wet asteroid' debris found orbiting white dwarf. In it, Russia Taday reports that:

This is an artist impression obtained from The University of Warwick and The University of Cambridge shows a rocky and water-rich asteroid being torn apart by the strong gravity of the white dwarf star GD 61. Scientists have detected the first ever water-heavy asteroid - of the kind that is thought to have brought water to Earth - outside our solar ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Russia Taday.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Oct 14, 2013
nice article.

some vital statistics on the white dwarf would have been nice to go with it, ie, distance, magnitude, Mv, temperature, B-V, mass (calculable if the others are available). This should also give a decent estimate of the age.

a solar mass WD for example is likely even in its current state to be younger then the sun.

As age is in many cases a pointer to the initial metallicity of the system, the result is likely fairly important, it may be that we are looking @ the WD system equivalent of a sungrazing comet crash.

Will keep watching that space.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Environment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 10 min RayOne 336,662
Fracking: Progress or Poison? Thu Arkansas 652
News DEP to investigate Ten Mile Creek for radioacti... Thu CaCat 14
News James Hansen Spells Out Climate Danger Of The '... Jul 28 don t drink the k... 7
News Editor of Science Magazine Should Resign Jul 28 SpaceBlues 1
News Exxon Busted: knew climate change was a threat ... Jul 25 SpaceBlues 20
News A renewable spat - the political battle over a ... Jul 24 Earthling-1 1
More from around the web