EarthTalk / 4-step plan for U.S. to ease global warming

May 1, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Westport News

Dear EarthTalk: What would you say are the most important steps we need to take as a nation to counter the impacts of climate change? Americans care more about the environment than ever before, and the overwhelming majority of us acknowledges that climate change is real and human-induced. But still we continue to consume many more resources per ... (more)

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated May 4, 2013
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#1 May 1, 2013
NRDC to Americans:

Step 1 - cut global warming pollution via "strong legislation that caps carbon emissions and makes polluters pay for the global warming gases they produce."

Step 2 - invest more in green jobs and clean energy.

Step 3 - build more fuel efficient cars.

Step 4 - build green homes and green buildings.

Step 5 - build more sustainable communities and transportation networks.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#2 May 1, 2013
Its time to demonstrate some actual warming, at .1 degrees warming over the 15 warmest years on the planet it will take 450 years to reach 3 degrees of warming.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#3 May 1, 2013
[QUOTE who="i'm warmed over"]......it will take 450 years to reach 3 degrees of warming.[/QUOTE]

Finally, cowardly toxic topix AGW deniers make a prediction. At least, "i'm warmed" over predicts a higher temperature, unlike the majority of toxic topix AGW deniers' hints that an ice age is right around the corner. Yet, its prediction will flop, also.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#4 May 1, 2013
Its actually been less than .1 degrees warmer on average since 1997 but lets round up.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#5 May 3, 2013
Simple. Promote and implement a global 'carbon surcharge' to add the 'externalized cost' of fossil fuels to the PRICE of fossil fuels (i.e internalizing externalized costs) and rebate it to the public on an intelligent basis to prevent economic damage.

It accomplishes SpaceBlues several items with market forces and is much easier to implement than any regulation (and harder to create a loophole in).
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#6 May 3, 2013
No Warming wrote:
Its actually been less than .1 degrees warmer on average since 1997 but lets round up.
Total nonsense.

www.skepticalscience.com/graphics.php...

This 'trick' of taking short periods to get invalid slopes is well documented among the trolls and denialists but is not REAL. The reference shows how they do it.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#7 May 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Total nonsense.
This 'trick' of taking short periods to get invalid slopes is well documented among the trolls and denialists but is not REAL. The reference shows how they do it.
I don't look at blogs for climate information, blogs are written to meet the desire of the audience. The source I use is a combination of NASA , NOAA and Met Office temperature records so if you believe the data is erroneous you're taking on all the heavy hitters. LMAO
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#8 May 3, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Total nonsense.
Forgot to post the link, and if the last 15 years of records are only noise then so is the period from 1980 to 1997 ... just noise NO Warming !

The table at the bottom of this page shows the temp. record going back to 1993.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/arc...
SpaceBlues

Pasadena, TX

#9 May 4, 2013
“In response to carbon dioxide-induced warming, the global water cycle undergoes a gigantic competition for moisture resulting in a global pattern of increased heavy rain, decreased moderate rain, and prolonged droughts in certain regions,” said William Lau of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., and lead author of the study.

The models project for every 1 degree Fahrenheit of carbon dioxide-induced warming, heavy rainfall will increase globally by 3.9 percent and light rain will increase globally by 1 percent. However, total global rainfall is not projected to change much because moderate rainfall will decrease globally by 1.4 percent.

Heavy rainfall is defined as months that receive an average of more than about 0.35 of an inch per day. Light rain is defined as months that receive an average of less than 0.01 of an inch per day. Moderate rainfall is defined as months that receive an average of between about 0.04 to 0.09 of an inch per day.

Areas projected to see the most significant increase in heavy rainfall are in the tropical zones around the equator, particularly in the Pacific Ocean and Asian monsoon regions.

Some regions outside the tropics may have no rainfall at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Environment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 23 min Agents of Corruption 256,241
Global warming pioneer calls for CO2 to be take... 11 hr Jim the Hoax Denier 2
Testing Well Water for Bacteria, Nitrate 17 hr FatLadyMe 1
5 ways going green improves your kids' health 17 hr FatLadyMe 1
EPA charges SUNY Downstate with federal hazardo... 18 hr FatLadyMe 1
Vilsack says up to $45M to available to help La... 18 hr FatLadyMe 1
EPA says proposed Delta water tunnel would harm... 18 hr FatLadyMe 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••