PBS Attacked for Allowing Global Warming Skeptic to Speak

Sep 19, 2012 Full story: NewsBusters.org 289

If you had any doubts about the level of zealotry involved in today's global warming movement, they likely will be erased by the goings on at PBS the past few days.

Full Story
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Sep 19, 2012
If you don't have the science to back up your premise, then you must silence the people who disagree with the premise.
James Hansen

Spain

#2 Sep 19, 2012
With the help of my sidekick, Al Gore, that is just what I intend to do, silence the unbelievers

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

#3 Sep 19, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
If you don't have the science to back up your premise, then you must silence the people who disagree with the premise.
That is the truth when it comes to liberals
James Hansen

Spain

#4 Sep 19, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
Here is one what, an american who abandoned his country to live in Mexico?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#5 Sep 19, 2012
The reason for the objection is of course that Watts repeats a load of oft-debunked pseudo sceptic nonsense.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/watts-pbs-new...
James Hansen

Spain

#6 Sep 19, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
The reason for the objection is of course that Watts repeats a load of oft-debunked pseudo sceptic nonsense.
http://www.scepticalscience.com/watts-pbs-new...
that damned Watts, he's a thorn in my side.
hey, you seem like a good guy, how about coming to work for me?

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

#7 Sep 19, 2012
James Hansen wrote:
<quoted text>Here is one what, an american who abandoned his country to live in Mexico?
You forgot that I lived in Spain, Italy, Asia, New Zealand two asian countries and a few others ..........LOL
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#8 Sep 19, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/watts-pbs-new...
True. I watched the show on PBS and found it incompetent.

Watts came across as ignorant and unimpressive. The fellow looks also in bad shape.

SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#9 Sep 19, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
You[speaking to dirtie] forgot that I lived in Spain, Italy, Asia, New Zealand two asian countries and a few others ..........LOL
LOL.

He must admire Prof Dr Hansen.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#10 Sep 19, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now. Go easy.

You don't want to join the lying, hating deniers like tina, dirtie, mememe, ff aka fossil fuel, do you?

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

#11 Sep 19, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Now now. Go easy.
You don't want to join the lying, hating deniers like tina, dirtie, mememe, ff aka fossil fuel, do you?
You have seen my post and know I am not a tina..........LOL

Let me rephrase that for you.....

how about far left loon.....as yes many here like you are pretty centered.....

But like tina is a far right winger there are also far left loons....
Local

Clearlake, CA

#12 Sep 19, 2012
ANTHONY WATTS: Global warming has become essentially a business in its own right. There are whole divisions of universities that are set up to study this factor. And so there's lots of money involved. And so I think that there`s a tendency to want to keep that going and not really look at what might be different.

ANTHONY WATTS: Some of the issues have been oversold. And they have been oversold because they allow for more regulation to take place. And so the people that like more regulation use global warming as a tool as a means to an end. And so, as a result, we might be getting more regulation and more taxes that really aren't rooted in science, but more in politics.

Those two statements pretty much sum the situation up.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#13 Sep 19, 2012
Local wrote:
ANTHONY WATTS: Global warming has become essentially a business in its own right. There are whole divisions of universities that are set up to study this factor. And so there's lots of money involved. And so I think that there`s a tendency to want to keep that going and not really look at what might be different.
ANTHONY WATTS: Some of the issues have been oversold. And they have been oversold because they allow for more regulation to take place. And so the people that like more regulation use global warming as a tool as a means to an end. And so, as a result, we might be getting more regulation and more taxes that really aren't rooted in science, but more in politics.
LOL You're the ignorant one who ignores what he said about his own large business.

And Watt's not a scientist to be competing with the modern science. Have your brain examined.

I guess you never got a university science education. SOUR GRAPES.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#14 Sep 19, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
You have seen my post and know I am not a tina..........LOL
Let me rephrase that for you.....
how about far left loon.....as yes many here like you are pretty centered.....
But like tina is a far right winger there are also far left loons....
Whatever makes you happy??? Balloons are free.

tina et al are busy wih the icons again.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#15 Sep 19, 2012
tina et al are busy with the icons again.

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

#16 Sep 19, 2012
Local wrote:
And that does not even take into account the amount of money in carbon credits..........LOL

"the green troll"

#17 Sep 19, 2012
Local wrote:
Yep, Watts doesn't have a clue about how science works.

Scientists don't get rich from research, and research into alternative causes of warming does get funded.

http://profmandia.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/ta...

There are conservatives who don't like regulation who also recognise the reality of AGW and the necessity of doing something about it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2...

"the green troll"

#18 Sep 19, 2012
Ex-GOP lawmaker says conservatives must end ‘denial’ on climate

Former South Carolina GOP Rep. Bob Inglis, who was vanquished by a Tea Party insurgent in 2010, is urging conservatives to stop denying that humans are contributing to global warming.

Inglis, who will lead a new initiative at George Mason University to promote “conservative solutions to America’s energy and climate challenges," says conservatives should instead promote solutions to the problem on their own terms.

Inglis on Tuesday announced a new “Energy and Enterprise Initiative” that he hopes will voice the case for conservative leadership on energy and climate.

“Conservatives have the answer to our energy and climate challenge,” he said in a statement.“It’s about correcting market distortions and setting the economics right. We need to stop retreating in denial and start stepping forward in the competition of ideas.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/2369...

"the green troll"

#19 Sep 19, 2012
"My climate epiphany wasn't overnight, and it had nothing to do with Al Gore."

I'm going to tell you something that my Republican friends are loath to admit out loud: climate change is real. I'm a moderate Republican, fiscally conservative; a fan of small government, accountability, self-empowerment and sound science. I am not a climate scientist. I'm a Penn State meteorologist, and the weather maps I'm staring at are making me very uncomfortable. No, you're not imagining it: we've clicked into a new and almost foreign weather pattern. To complicate matters I'm in a small, frustrated and endangered minority: a Republican deeply concerned about the environmental sacrifices some are asking us to make to keep our economy powered-up. It's ironic. The root of the word conservative is "conserve". A staunch Republican, Teddy Roosevelt, set aside vast swaths of America for our National Parks System, the envy of the world. Another Republican, Richard Nixon, launched the EPA. Now some in my party believe the EPA and all those silly "global warming alarmists" are going to get in the way of drilling and mining our way to prosperity. Well, we have good reason to be alarmed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-douglas/re...

"the green troll"

#20 Sep 19, 2012
I gave a talk called “How to Avoid the Truth About Climate Change” for the College of Science and Health at Utah Valley University. For those of you who aren’t familiar with me, I am a Republican and a geochemist who, until a few years ago, was quite skeptical about the idea that humans are causing significant climate change.

In the presentation, I briefly talked about how I had made the transition from being a climate change “skeptic” to being an outspoken advocate of mainstream climate science. I then discussed how it is that people like me can so effectively avoid the truth about climate change.

Please pass this video along! I am actually writing a book with the same title, but there’s no way I can get it published before the Republican primaries. Hopefully this kind of thing can influence a few people toward the center on this issue.

http://bbickmore.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/how...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Environment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 46 min Quirky 265,596
Thousands Attend Climate March in New York Mon harmonious 75
Study Shows Ethanol Produces Worse 'Global Warm... Mon Brian_G 22
Toxic waste dumped into Niagara River a threat ... Mon StephDad 2
Faced with existential climate threat, small is... Mon jestr 1
Capitalism Is Saving the Climate, You Hippies Sep 27 Earthling-1 7
Alpha says it plans 1,100 layoffs at coal mines... Sep 25 Wow 5

Environment People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE