State inspector closes Lamotte's

Full story: The York Daily Record

On July 1, an inspector with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture shut down Lamotte's Restaurant in New Freedom for violations stemming from "gross unsanitary condition," according to a recent health inspection.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of75
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
YorkEatsCrap

Leola, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

I don't want to hear any crap about how "hard" the staff worked to "keep the place going". This is a total cop-out and poor excuse for BASIC sterilization and sanitation issues.

Mold and mildew in the basement? Cock-a-roaches lying about? Swarm of gnats at the waitress area and salad bar?? The only thing missing from this sad story is the mice and rat infestation which I'm sure was soon to follow. Ever hear of a wash-down area? Chlorine? Soap? The Orkin Man??

Glad this fecal cesspool was closed down before someone came down with Hepatitis or was bit by a rodent!!! Or, the roof fell in on the place while the patrons were eating a crab cake with gnats around their plates!!!

Disgusting.
justice served

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

The last crab cake I ate there I commented to those eating with me that I couldn't quite tell what that secret seasoning was in the cake that gave it it's distinctive flavor. Guess I know now!!!!!!!!!!
Charlie O

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

It's too bad this place was closed down. It was one of the few restaurants I've found in York County with a decent and diverse menu. Most restaurants around York all serve the same fare, boring, boring, boring.
YorkEatsCrap

Leola, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

justice served wrote:
The last crab cake I ate there I commented to those eating with me that I couldn't quite tell what that secret seasoning was in the cake that gave it it's distinctive flavor. Guess I know now!!!!!!!!!!
Just like KFC, their distinctive flavor is probably rodent droppings!! Nasty sh*t.
YorkEatsCrap

Leola, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

Charlie O wrote:
It's too bad this place was closed down. It was one of the few restaurants I've found in York County with a decent and diverse menu. Most restaurants around York all serve the same fare, boring, boring, boring.
Try "The Great American Saloon" in Red Lion. Nice diverse menu and very good food. Lancaster & Harrisburg have York beat for a mile, hence my screen name.
JReis

Quarryville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

We sat in the back dinning room and observed a "patron" from the bar area down on the basement level. He was speaking on his cell phone and actually pissing into the tiny creek along the back.
What a wonderful view while you are eating!!!
Home Town

Moorestown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

Just Sayin wrote:
This zoning officer/inspector is the same ass that calls himself a zoning officer/inspector in Stewartstown and you are so right but Stewartstown is great at wasting the tax payer’s money. Just another example of the trained people they hire WHAT A JOKE
Sounds like some people have recieved violations of there own and are bitter because of their ignorance of the rules and laws that govern a commonwealth, might want to remember Rt83 runs south, go back to Maryland.
Wade Portner, The New Freedom & Stewartstown’s SO CALLED building code officer. Couldn’t find his A$$ with bought hands and no I didn't received any violations. But as with you I can spot stupid when I see it But on like you HO stupid one I know what I'm talking about. And know I’m not going back to Maryland.
Just Sayin

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

"But as with you I can spot stupid when I see it But on like you HO stupid one I know what I'm talking about."

And you're calling me stupid, this sentence makes no sence. Go back to school fool.
factfinder

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

For those that lack the comprehension of the state laws, from Dept of Ag. to the UCC, most inspections that are not required on a license, are required to be investigated when a complaint is filed. The inspectors acted on complaints, and the inspectors involved are certified by the Commonwealth of Pa. For the comments are building /codes officials, sounds like someone got caught doing something they shouldn't, or without a permit, or tried to ignore the state building code. Remember if you think inspectors shpould be able to judge a place on the outside, and gain entry without probable cause, you better hope your neighbors do not complain about your place. You could get to meet an inspector first hand! For all of those that KNEW how bad it was, guess they were in it, how many complaints did you file?
very sad

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

I can only say one thing about Lamotte's I was a regular there for many years, and those employees did do their best to keep it running, most of them weren't even getting paid. When you have a so called "owner" who runs away to KY and leaves all of the problems to the staff, and I mean not GM's, this is what happens. I remember seeing employees acually bringing in their own cleaning supplies....ON THIER OWN TAB. These people really cared about the place and tried to do what they could. How can they prevent mold in the basement? When the "owner" wouldn't fix a single thing? And further more, the insects and so called rodents that were found were on the 3rd story.....Remember this place had 3 vacant apartments, that were left in filth. That is on the owner, not the employees. I also saw a comment blaming the so called future owners...How can they be blamed when they didn't buy it BECAUSE it was in such poor shape. Larry didn't fix any of it, and still thought he should get a mint for it....SELFISH!!! He still owes all of those employess alot of money....Now do you want to bet they never get it???? I'm digusted with anyone who wants to judge a situation that they have no idea about. I think it's sad that all of those people lost their jobs and all the posting are about how much it was deserved. Most of the people that worked there were there for 10years plus...Now if it was inspected in 08...how could it be related to them? Now this place is closed forever, and all you people can say is that it should have happened? I am sure the employees that have read these postings are hurt enough by losing their jobs, they don't need everyone's opinion....Especially people that don't know the whole story!!!!
very sad

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

YorkEatsCrap wrote:
<quoted text>
Try "The Great American Saloon" in Red Lion. Nice diverse menu and very good food. Lancaster & Harrisburg have York beat for a mile, hence my screen name.
The great American Saloon sucks!!! I have eaten there quite a few times, and always have horrible service. It's to loud sounds like I am eating in a cafateria. And the food is just OK...I wouldn't jump around for it. Sounds like you need to try somewhere outside of Red Lion....I agree about York not being great either, but Harrisburg? Lancaster? YUCK...go south if you want good food
Willie Don

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

Just Sayin wrote:
"But as with you I can spot stupid when I see it But on like you HO stupid one I know what I'm talking about."
And you're calling me stupid, this sentence makes no sence. Go back to school fool.
Sence? Better hitch a ride>
Just Sayin

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

lol
lol

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

lol...that's the funniest thing I have ever heard....I would have died...but hey guess what? You will never forget it!!!!
nice try

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Nice try Shane
up for sale

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

that place has been been up for sale for awhile, im sure the owner had a good idea about the current contition
WHAT

Villanova, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Cathy Seven Valleys wrote:
You people have no idea the hard work that the workers of Lamottes have been doing to try and keep that place going on their own for years now. Just trying to keep their jobs and food in the place. ON THEIR OWN PEOPLE! With barely any support. Yes its true Larry did moved and doesnt give a crap. Don't sit around and bash something unless you know the whole story. Just because the building has gone to the dumps doesnt mean the food has or the people that work their have. I have ate at Lamottes on a regular basics for the past 15 years and their food is great! So is the Head Cook. All the staff that work at Lamottes are great. So you can all hang your head high because you did the best that you all could with a bad situation.
Obviously they didn't do there jobs on their own! Mold doesn't appear on a soda machine because a building is falling apart. What do these employees need, Larry to hold their hand while they clean a soda machine? Soda machines should be wiped down twice a day and the nozzles taken off and soaked. So yes, these employees should be embaressed for how well they DIDN"T do their jobs. That is just gross!
WHAT

Villanova, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

JoyceS wrote:
I think it's a shame the place is closing. That building has been there since 1909.
I have know Larry for about 30 years. The place was great when he was there, but he moved on with his life. Some one was going to buy the place but that fell through, so I think they are the one's at fault here. They are the one's that have been there and supposed to be taking care of the place. For the residents of New Freedom, Shrewsbury, Glen Rock and Maryland Line, this was the place to go and get a decent meal and not have to drive to York or Hunt Valley.
So instead of running it down, sit back and feel sorry that another place has closed it's doors. Now all New Freedom has is the Hodel, and we don't even want to talk about that. That place is a joke!!!!!!
What about the Glen Rock Tavern? Have you heard that it was closed up too because of being a nuisance bar? Has anyone heard if that is true???
WHAT

Villanova, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

justice served wrote:
I think their crab cakes were terrible! So big that they were over cooked on the tops. Yuck!
WHAT

Villanova, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

YorkEatsCrap wrote:
<quoted text>
YES! Great American Saloon is awesome! Very diverse menu and excellant food and service. Totally clean too! That is my favorite restaurant in York County! AWESOME!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of75
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••