Property maintenance code adopted

Property maintenance code adopted

There are 10 comments on the Free Press story from Dec 3, 2013, titled Property maintenance code adopted. In it, Free Press reports that:

Staff report The city of Wilmington has a new tool to address poorly maintained structures in any zoning district, particularly those that permit public access.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Press.

Wilmington resident

Niles, IL

#1 Dec 5, 2013
Everyone knows the economy is really in the toliets now Wilmington has put this in to effect so they can fine people that are broke right now and can't afford to fix these problems the property taxes are sky high in Willcounty I DON'T HAVE ANY OF THESE MAINTENANCE ISSUES SO I AM NOT SPEAKING FOR MYSELF I'M SPEAKING FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE CHILDREN AND HAS LOST THIER JOBS BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMY WHAT IS WILMINGTON GOING TO DO FOR THEM I MEET 2 PEOPLE A DAY IN MY BUSINESS THAT ARE STRUGGLING TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE !!!! WRONG IDEAL RIGHT NOW WILMINGTON !!!! LETS GET OUT OF THE SLUMP FIRST THEN YOU TAX & FINE THE PEOPLE /////I understand THAT NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE NEXT TO A JUNK COLLECTOR !!!WHAT HAPPEN TO THIS COUNTRY AND CARING ABOUT THE FELLOW MAN !!! ITS ALL ABOUT WHO WE CAN STICK IT TOO $$$ AND MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT !!!

Since: Aug 13

Wilmington

#2 Dec 5, 2013
Or you know, you could have some pride in your home, neighborhood, and city? People like to panic about things like this as though the gestapo are going to come take you away because a piece of fascia is falling off your house.

Basically, until somebody is proven to be given a fine for some incredibly minor upkeep situation, this is pointless sky is falling talk. This is not going to be a profitable venture for the City of Wilmington.

The code is being enforced on a complaint basis. This means unless you let your property get in such bad shape that somebody complains about it, you have nothing to worry about. Yes, some people like to complain and will do so sooner than others, but a complaint does mean somebody is automatically being fined. I'm sure the city and your neighbors both would rather have their hometowns look nice than have people pay fines for not caring.

There are extreme examples you can make, like perhaps an elderly person living alone does not have the capability to make home fixes on their own, and obviously the city should work with them if it gets that far (though if that's the case the neighbor complaining should consider assisting in cleanup) but typically fines are going to be assessed to the lazy, not the incapable.

If your grass is two feet tall, cut it already. Also, let me just point out that if you type IN ALL CAPS FOR ALL OF YOUR MESSAGE THE MEANING OF TYPING IN CAPS IS LOST. You wouldn't bold, italic, or underline entire paragraphs, don't do it with caps.
Wilmington resident

Itasca, IL

#3 Dec 9, 2013
Ok Mrs city of wilmington, Have you read the code or are you part of the vote on the code? AND THANK YOU FOR TEACHING ME ABOUT CAPS !!!! and i'm so glad this was not put into force to make money like the cost of the water being sky high !!! why did they raise everyone's water if money wasn't the issue ? You mean to tell me they sit in a room and dream this up? just courious !!

Wilmington

#4 Dec 9, 2013
I'm sure this was enacted because of a vocal minority complaining more than their logical share. Like I said before, you likely have nothing to worry about unless you refuse to cut your grass ever. This is not a treasure trove for the city.

I read the paper article about this. I have not read the code yet, as far as I can tell it hasn't made it's way online yet.

As to your question of the water bill. The loan on the treatment plant was the issue. Past administrations expected large growth in Wilmington and built a plant that is simply too large for our current size. The payment on the loan came up, and the amount of money coming in from water bills wasn't enough to cover it. This is because nobody is moving here (and that's a whole other topix to get into) which would help keep our bills lower. The water bills are ridiculously high but there's little anybody can do about it. If we get a big influx of residents our bills can go down. The water plant isn't really a for-profit operation. It does need to make enough money for the city to keep the plant. If the plant was taken over because we didn't make the payments on the loan, your water bill would go up even more immediately.
Wilmington resident

Lombard, IL

#5 Dec 11, 2013
Thank you for that info, wilmington can demo buildings ,build a new police station,i could be wrong but im not complaining im voiceing my opinion i love wilmington. i think they should make it where a person wants to build a house and live here !!! that old school was ok for our children to be in with the so called asbestos but it wasn't good enough for a community center, an office complex, a police station,????except to tear it down so now i know what your going to say , it was not cost effective $$$$$$ bull @#@#$%%&&T you seem like a very smart person !!!!but buying property have a police station brought in on trailers is ?

Wilmington

#6 Dec 11, 2013
The problem with simply trying to use Booth as a new community center, or anything else, is the cost of renovating it to be used for something new. If I recall correctly, things like the asbestos problem (which was safe enough for me to attend there personally) would legally have to be fixed. They couldn't simply say "we know it's there but it's not going to cause any harm unless it's tampered with." The cost of getting Booth up to modern standards would be comparable to knocking it down and putting something new up, so why not? Not every old building has culturally significant and historic value.

That of course ignores the questions of 1) do we really have a need or want for a community center, and 2) do we have the funds or is it a smart use of them to pay ongoing maintenance costs for said center? Even if we were allowed to just say Booth is now a community center, it was a huge old building and you could expect skyrocketing perpetual maintenance costs. That's not to mention who is going to staff this building? That's more money. What programs are going to be held there? Who is paying for that? Using Booth for some modern purpose was a pipe dream that, similar to the train depot, nobody really cried out about until the decisions were made.

All these new construction projects, and don't forget the library thinks they should get a new building now, are getting under way because the Ridgeport money is going to start rolling in soon. I don't necessarily think it's wise to just go on a crazy construction spree as a result of that, but that is why it's happening.$2000000 of that is specifically laid out for building a new police station. It's not a question of smart or not. That's what the money is for. It's not like there's a ton of land available downtown for a central location.

Finally there is nothing wrong with a modular building. Nothing. If your problem is that they are shipping the building from out of state while at the same time constantly preaching "shop local" to us, there is no denying that they are massive hypocrites. Sure it saves them money, but by their logic investing that additional money into the local economy would have a greater long term impact to the town than spending money out of state and only using local people to piece it together.
Wilmington resident

Aurora, IL

#8 Dec 13, 2013
Lettuce be serious wrote:
The problem with simply trying to use Booth as a new community center, or anything else, is the cost of renovating it to be used for something new. If I recall correctly, things like the asbestos problem (which was safe enough for me to attend there personally) would legally have to be fixed. They couldn't simply say "we know it's there but it's not going to cause any harm unless it's tampered with." The cost of getting Booth up to modern standards would be comparable to knocking it down and putting something new up, so why not? Not every old building has culturally significant and historic value.
That of course ignores the questions of 1) do we really have a need or want for a community center, and 2) do we have the funds or is it a smart use of them to pay ongoing maintenance costs for said center? Even if we were allowed to just say Booth is now a community center, it was a huge old building and you could expect skyrocketing perpetual maintenance costs. That's not to mention who is going to staff this building? That's more money. What programs are going to be held there? Who is paying for that? Using Booth for some modern purpose was a pipe dream that, similar to the train depot, nobody really cried out about until the decisions were made.
All these new construction projects, and don't forget the library thinks they should get a new building now, are getting under way because the Ridgeport money is going to start rolling in soon. I don't necessarily think it's wise to just go on a crazy construction spree as a result of that, but that is why it's happening.$2000000 of that is specifically laid out for building a new police station. It's not a question of smart or not. That's what the money is for. It's not like there's a ton of land available downtown for a central location.
Finally there is nothing wrong with a modular building. Nothing. If your problem is that they are shipping the building from out of state while at the same time constantly preaching "shop local" to us, there is no denying that they are massive hypocrites. Sure it saves them money, but by their logic investing that additional money into the local economy would have a greater long term impact to the town than spending money out of state and only using local people to piece it together.
ALL I HAVE TO SAY AFTER THAT IS {WOW}!! YOU ARE SO SMART !!!!! YOU JUST KNOW SO MUCH !!! THEY SHOULD OF BOUGHT THE BUILDINGS DOWNTOWN DEMOLISHED ALL OF THEM AND BUILT NEW ONES IF YOU WANT TO HELP THE CITY GROW AND PEOPLE TO COME HERE !!!$$$$$ SINCE THEY ARE ON A SPENDING SPREE $$$$$$!!!THEY COULD OF KILLED 2 BIRDS WITH 1 STONE !!! DOING IT AGAIN SORRY / make downtown look great plus build a police station all in one deal !!!
Local Yocal

Joliet, IL

#9 Dec 22, 2013
Watch out Bobby Thomas!! The city is gonna fit ya now

Wilmington

#10 Dec 24, 2013
Wilmington resident wrote:
<quoted text> ALL I HAVE TO SAY AFTER THAT IS {WOW}!! YOU ARE SO SMART !!!!! YOU JUST KNOW SO MUCH !!! THEY SHOULD OF BOUGHT THE BUILDINGS DOWNTOWN DEMOLISHED ALL OF THEM AND BUILT NEW ONES IF YOU WANT TO HELP THE CITY GROW AND PEOPLE TO COME HERE !!!$$$$$ SINCE THEY ARE ON A SPENDING SPREE $$$$$$!!!THEY COULD OF KILLED 2 BIRDS WITH 1 STONE !!! DOING IT AGAIN SORRY / make downtown look great plus build a police station all in one deal !!!
What are you even ranting about? You clearly have no reading comprehension skills. I would never advocate tearing down all of the downtown buildings and rebuilding new. That's idiotic. I mean, sure there isn't even one historic building that demands saving there, but that doesn't mean everything should be blown up. However, if money were no issue I am confident that such a strategy would actually promote Wilmington growth. It might even get the old timers that fear change to move out at the same time, and that would be the real 2 birds, 1 stone trick.
jordennancy23

Smarr, GA

#14 Nov 10, 2014
The pipes in my home have been acting funny recently. I need to find a maintenance company to come in and see if there is a problem. I want to fix the problem soon. I don't want to have to worry about it later. http://www.solveall.com.au/services

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entomology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Adams Housing Authority gets bed bugs und... (Mar '10) Mar 7 cil 96
News Bees, please Feb 25 Glen 1
News Bizarre Caterpillar That Makes Own Leafy 'Armor... Feb '17 Spotted Girl 19
News Big love for bugs on Valentine's Feb '17 Strong Wakamoto 5
News California scientist names moth species after D... Feb '17 visitor 24
News Fellatio common among fruit bats, says research (Nov '09) Feb '17 andet1987 96
News Holiday hell: mosquito bites made my breast rot (Jun '13) Feb '17 Boobian Phartologer 29
More from around the web