Load current formula for a capacitor ...

Load current formula for a capacitor bank load?

Created by Parthiban on Nov 28, 2008

623 votes

Click on an option to vote

I = VAr / (1.732*V)

I = VAr / (1.732*V*sin phi)

Since: Nov 08

Chennai, India

#1 Nov 28, 2008
I,m a electrical design engineer. I have desingned a capacitor bank load for a traansformer. for that to find the load of the capacitor bank i have used this formula (I = VAr /(1.732*V)). why shouldn't we use sin phi there? Please tell me the answer and explain the concept.
Braham singh

Santa Clara, CA

#3 May 29, 2009
Is capacitor bank taking load? If yes then why is not shown in ammeter of main line?
Zado

Philippines

#4 Jun 14, 2009
- If your not sure on your calculations using the above formula, use a Power Analyzer device (ex. AR5-L Power analyzer by CIRCUTOR). Connect the device to the line where the capacitor bank was connected.(make sure the system was energized and on operation, as well as the capbank)
You'll see in the device the electrical parameters that will answer to your question. This device also will determine the problem on the electrical system where it is connected such as flicker, voltage sags, swells and distorted harmonics.
shailesh

Thane, India

#5 Apr 30, 2011
what is a formla to calculat capciter bank
Greg Robbo

Sydney, Australia

#6 Jul 23, 2011
Parthiban wrote:
I,m a electrical design engineer. I have desingned a capacitor bank load for a traansformer. for that to find the load of the capacitor bank i have used this formula (I = VAr /(1.732*V)). why shouldn't we use sin phi there? Please tell me the answer and explain the concept.
The current flowing to the capacitor bank is assumed to be purely capacitive and so the only opposition to current flow is capacitive reactance so phase angle is irrelevant. Anyway the phase angle would be 90 degrees sin 90 = 1 and so would make no difference to the answer.
Greg Robbo

Sydney, Australia

#7 Jul 23, 2011
The circuit to the capacitor bank is considered pure and so the phase angle would be 90 degrees. sin 90 = 1 and so would make no difference to the answer.

Greg
Mafi Zhou

Europe

#8 Sep 18, 2012
Formula to calculate current drawn by a capacitor bank like 200kVar
sitaram

Mumbai, India

#9 Apr 8, 2013
we have a 2500kva transformer.how can i insall capcitor bank.for power factor improvement
sakthivel

Doha, Qatar

#10 Oct 9, 2014
shailesh wrote:
what is a formla to calculat capciter bank
KVAR = Kw * Kw factor Kw - is the total peak load and kw factor- value from kw factor table based on your current power factor and targeted power factor)
Min Ko Naing

Yangon, Myanmar

#11 Feb 18, 2015
sitaram wrote:
we have a 2500kva transformer.how can i insall capcitor bank.for power factor improvement
(QUOTE)
momo

Pasadena, CA

#12 Nov 15, 2015
Parthiban wrote:
Because electrical power have 3 different angle... cos and sin.. cos is kva.. sin is kvar...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Electrical Engineering Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Falkirk student gains A 10k boost for space age... Feb 11 Walter glen stock... 2
Load Calculation for Office Blg. (Apr '17) Dec '17 jsykes 2
certification / re-certification (Jan '17) Dec '17 jsykes 3
John Dec '17 jsykes 2
Electrical Load Calculations Dec '17 jsykes 1
Complete Noob Question (Apr '17) Apr '17 Enargins 1
false feeder tripping (Feb '17) Feb '17 NKA 1
More from around the web