of 23
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

Milan, Italy

#1 Sep 13, 2008
T Rex fan

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Sep 13, 2008
If the T rex was drinking water in a pond and Deinosuchus was hiding in it, Deinosuchus could jump out bite it by the neck thus winning the fight. however if Deinosuchus is on land i think T rex would win because Crocs are too slow on dry land.

“One of many, yet he who is one”

Since: Jul 08

Live in Menasha, born in Cali

#3 Sep 13, 2008
T Rex fan wrote:
If the T rex was drinking water in a pond and Deinosuchus was hiding in it, Deinosuchus could jump out bite it by the neck thus winning the fight. however if Deinosuchus is on land i think T rex would win because Crocs are too slow on dry land.
I would probably agree.

“I don't exist:youve gone crazy”

Since: Aug 08

Australia

#4 Sep 13, 2008
yes, crocs are quite slow, but deinosuchus was capable of holding off albertasaurus, another tyrannosaurid, and was at the top of the food chain. muscle research shows that deinosuchus could have moved its head quickly, like present day crocs. I'd say deinosuchus, as it was more adapted to life in both environments, more than trex.

Australia

#5 Sep 13, 2008
Also, trex was not very agile, so might not have been able to deliver a bite without getting bitten first. Does anyone know deinosuchus's bite force?

#6 Sep 14, 2008
Sakib wrote:
Also, trex was not very agile, so might not have been able to deliver a bite without getting bitten first. Does anyone know deinosuchus's bite force?
Not for sure, but other Crocodilians have mean measured at over 5000. I said I would probably agree that the T-Rex would win on land because any bite Deinosuchus could give would be on the foot or leg, which would not be immediately fatal. A T-Rex, on the other hand, could bite and twist at Deinosuchus, possibly breaking its neck.
DinosaurDisciple

West Lafayette, IN

#7 Sep 14, 2008
Think of it like modern animals; for example, Jaguars and cayman. If a large, Black cayman snuck up on a jaguar drinking, it's game over. However, on lang the Jaguar can land a quick bite to the head/neck and end the duel. This is the same for deinosuchus and T-rex. On land, the T-rex is more agile and can end the battle with a quick, bone crushing bite.
SamuTyranno

Bangkok, Thailand

#8 Oct 3, 2008
It would be a very tough battle. Here are 2 ways for the battle to end.

Deinosuchus attacks the T-rex and drags it down to the depths.

Deinosuchus attacks the T-rex but misses and the the T-rex kills it by cracking it's neck.

“Religion is Superstition”

Location hidden

#9 Oct 3, 2008
How about this result...

Tyrannosaurus is involved in a kill at the bank of a river. Deinosuchus decides to try and intimidate the T rex into abandoning it's kill, so it comes surging up, hissing and puffing itself up and showing off it's fangs...

Only to reallize there is actually a pack of Tyrannosaurs present. So with much more hissing and threat displays on the part of both Deinosuchus and the entire pack of Tyrannosaurs, the croc withdraws back into the river, where he retires to a ford down stream to wait for a hadrosaur to decide the ferns are greener on the other side.

Australia

#10 Oct 3, 2008
tyrannosaurus didn't hunt in packs. However, your story on how the battle begins is much more realistic. One-on-one, I'd say deinosuchus gets the victory. Trex would have to bend down quite low to get at deinosuchus, and that would make it vulnerable.

Location hidden

#11 Oct 3, 2008
There is evidence for Tyrannosaurus being a pack hunter. Which I have addressed with you on another thread, but for everyone else;

When they found the Tyrannosaur called Sue (the one mounted in Chicago...) they also found several other adult and juvenile Tyrannosaurs at the same location. The fossils also showed signs of having been in a fight/at least chewed on by other Tyrannosaurs. Something wiped out this pack, and the available evidence suggests they were on the loosing side of a fight with another pack of Tyrannosaurs. So we have evidence for not only pack behavior, but possibly territoriality as well.
DinosaurDisciple

West Lafayette, IN

#12 Oct 3, 2008
I think one thing to consider is that tyrannosaurs were probably warm-blooded, at least to some degree, and probably had a greater degree of stamina than the giant croc. Also, I don't think bending down to bite the croc is too big a deal; they probably bent down all the time to feed or kill small prey.

#13 Oct 3, 2008
There is also evidence that juvenile T-Rex's traveled in pairs, if not the adults also.
NK Dart

Australia

#14 Oct 3, 2008
A fight between a cayman and a jaguar is not an accurate analogy because crocs have broader snouts and much higher bite forse than caymans.

Australia

#15 Oct 3, 2008
As I said in the other thread, I think that the fossils were that of a family group, maybe the mother, father, and their offspring. The fight may have been between family groups, and and resulted in everyone, or most of the involved, being killed. It's pretty obvious that trexes were territorial, and family groups would be especially agressive.
I don't agree with you, DinosaurDisciple. Trex may have developed some form of warm-bloodedness during the earlier years, but once they attained their adult sizes they would have a higher chance of overheating. DinosaurDisciple, you also state that bending down wouldn't have been a problem, as they'd do it for smaller prey. Of course, the problem isn't in the bending, but the fact that deinosuchus wasn't smaller than it, and could bite back.
cbbWi's point just reaffirms my point of view on trex packs.
I agree with NK Dart, and also the fact that the crocodile has heaps less agility than a jaguar, whereas a trex isn't all that agile compared to a deinosuchus. I'm not saying it was lumbering, but didn't have the same advantage in terms of speed and agility against a deinosuchus than a jaguar with a cayman.

Location hidden

#16 Oct 3, 2008
I never considered switching to mass-homeothermy in the big preds. I thought that would work best with the Sauropods. It's something to consider.

Australia

#17 Oct 3, 2008
what's homeothermy? If it means taking care of young in groups, then we can expect something new every time.

Location hidden

#18 Oct 3, 2008
Homeothermy is where an animal relies on it's mass to maintain a high body temperature. It cuts down drasticly on the amount of food the animal would have to take in to keep it's metabolism going.

In the case of it's use in dinosaurs, what I think is envisioned is that the young would have a high metabolism, but as they grew, their mass would take over the job of maintaining body temperature at a level higher then the environment, and the metabolism would then slow down some, which in turn would reduce the required food intake.

I don't think any animals alive today actually use this method.
NK Dart

Australia

#19 Oct 3, 2008
Rex was larger than en elephant, so I don't think we should rule it out at all because no animals today use it.

Australia

#20 Oct 3, 2008
I think that trex was homeothermic. But still, pack hunting would be of no use to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Giganotosaurus vs. T. rex (Apr '07) Jun 21 The Allosaurus 6,175
spinosaurus vs giganotosaurus (Dec '15) Jun 21 The Allosaurus 11
News Asteroid which destroyed dinosaurs 'wiped out n... Jun 20 Max 3
This is like Bungie.net with Dinosaurs. Jun 20 Spear 11
Predator X vs. Megalodon (Mar '09) Jun 18 Latif marku 854
News Posted: 1 hour agoComments (0)Albert Einstein o... Jun 15 Medewiwin 1
Spinosaurus vs. t-rex (Dec '07) Jun 14 Gawdzilla 5,822
More from around the web