Just imagine

“Religion is Superstition”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Aug 17, 2008
Almost all the dinosaurs known to science are animals that lived on floodplains, desert oasis, and other places that lend themselves rather nicely to the occassional preservation and fossilization of the local flora and fauna (some places better than others - Liaoning comes to mind...). While I admit that dinosaurs are a fairly conservative lot when it comes to general body plans, I do wonder what dinosaurs that had evolved to deal with high mountain areas or other locations that don't lay down sediment and preserve the occassional fossil would have looked like.

Location hidden

#2 Sep 25, 2008
What, nobody wanted to take a shot at this?

“"Introduce the Piranhas!"”

Since: May 07

Rouseville, PA

#3 Sep 25, 2008
It's a good point. If they did, it would be interesting, though there would be no way to know.
Maybe a set of heterodontosaurs (it feels like a good guess to me) adapted to negotiate rock faces where carnivores couldn't get to them easily.

Location hidden

#4 Sep 25, 2008
Exist Now wrote:
It's a good point. If they did, it would be interesting, though there would be no way to know.
Maybe a set of heterodontosaurs (it feels like a good guess to me) adapted to negotiate rock faces where carnivores couldn't get to them easily.
Kind of like mountain goats today? Not bad. Who's next?

“I don't exist:youve gone crazy”

Australia

#5 Sep 25, 2008
I'd say that if we were to talk about rugged mountain animals, then the heterodontosaurids come into mind almost straight away. However, I think that some lightly built ankylosuars could possibly have survived up there, and pachycephalosaurs look pretty tough and adapted to me.
DinosaurDisciple

West Lafayette, IN

#6 Sep 25, 2008
Really BIG Iguanas! Well, not literally. I think it's possible some dinosaurs may have evolved more "iguana-like" hands to allow them to grasp onto mountain sides and whatnot.

Location hidden

#7 Sep 26, 2008
How about some lightly built ceratopsians? Dromaeosaurs could probably have done well up there too.

OK, how about ideas for deep jungle habitat?

“"Introduce the Piranhas!"”

Since: May 07

Rouseville, PA

#8 Sep 26, 2008
Small dromaeosaurs probably littered the treelines hunting insects, and one would expect some more ground oriented predators around, though they'd probably not be too big thanks to the lack of space. On that note, one would also wonder if there wouldn't be an odd branch of prosauropods still around.

“I don't exist:youve gone crazy”

Australia

#9 Sep 26, 2008
Anyone think of pygmy sauropods? But yes, dromeosaurs would be quite common, and so would small ornithopods.

Location hidden

#10 Sep 27, 2008
I think those small dromaeosaurs and other maniraptorids might have gone arboreal too.

Look out below! Here comes some little feathered saber-clawed dervish out of the trees (with all his cousins) to carve you up for dinner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
spinosaurus was the grizzly bear of its time (Feb '14) Jul 5 Jct7345 18
News Mediocre Music Makers Top State's Intriguing an... (Jun '08) Jul 4 Ode To Losers 220
African Lion vs Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis Jun 30 Kiryu2012 6
Gorgonopsid vs Megalania vs Tiger (Jun '17) Jun 30 Kiryu2013 2
Grizzly Bear vs Suchomimus tenerensis Jun 30 Donald Morrison 4
Indoraptor v.s Indonimusrex Jun 30 Jeffrey Stacy 2
Tiger vs Daspletosaurus Jun 30 John Adam Daniels 3