Deinonychus VS Smilodon
JMD577

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Dec 19, 2012
It would be interesting to see. Since I go by pros and cons, I'll do my method (not stories this time)
Deinonychus pros:
1. had sharp toe claws
2. Had arm claws
3. Was just a tad bigger than the Smilodon
cons:
1. Was not used to working alone

Smilodon pros:
1. had enormous fangs
2. had retractable claws
3. Was good at hunting animals no matter if it was bigger, equal to, or smaller than it
4. Was used to working alone

pro equalities:
1. both were very agile
2. ambush predators
3. Both had fairly forward-facing eyes

con equalities:
1. They did not live in the same biome or time; therefore, the fight would be unprecedented.

pros: positive
cons: negative

add it up..
and you get..
Deinonychus: 4 points
Smilodon:6 points

I'm not sure if this is accurate (I have been criticized before on this) but according to what I've collected so far, Smilodon wins.

“Australia's #1 Paleontologist”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#22 Dec 20, 2012
I would also think that Smilodon would win this fight, the Deinonychus is simply too lightly built and would be destroyed by the power of the much heavier cat. Unless the Raptor can score a lucky foot claw hit on the throat of the cat, i don't see it winning.
Spino guy

Brackenfell, South Africa

#23 Dec 20, 2012
Deinonychus would win, it was to fast for smilodon and had sharp claws.It had stronger jaws as well.Smilodon's fangs are not ment for battle(no time to explain now).The raptor just needs to srike the neck once or twice to win.

“Australia's #1 Paleontologist”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#24 Dec 20, 2012
Spino guy wrote:
Deinonychus would win, it was to fast for smilodon and had sharp claws.It had stronger jaws as well.Smilodon's fangs are not ment for battle(no time to explain now).The raptor just needs to srike the neck once or twice to win.
Speed wouldn't really help that much, running around won't get the fight finished, will it? The Raptor still needs to confront the cat sooner or later, and in a clash where they both have each other in their claws- speed won't mean a thing. If the two are on the ground mauling each other, the cats greater weight will become the big advantage. I agree that if the Raptor slashes the cats neck, the fight is over, but i also think that if the Smilodon can have the Raptor on the ground for a few crucial moments, it's sheer power will win the day. Don't forget the power of it's paws, one swipe to the head could be enough to kill the Raptor. Just look at bears for example, and S.populator was built more like a bear than a typical cat.

IMO Smilodon 60/40
Spino guy

Brackenfell, South Africa

#25 Dec 20, 2012
Smilodon paws won't even kill a human.The claws would be seriously painful but won't kill.And with the raptor speed does it.He can just side step the Smilodon and give a good claw thrash.Deinonychus would win most of the time,oh it would be very unlikely for smilodon to tackle it since the deinonychus can just side step every attempt it makes.

“DoubleTheClaw, DoubleThePain”

Since: Aug 11

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#26 Dec 20, 2012
Dinosaurs don't have flexible leg joints, they can't side step much like modern birds. Deinonychus have speed which does help a little but Smilodon is more agile and in close range combat agility means much more than speed, a slash from those paws do more than you think, tigers and lions can land a killing blow to a human with those paws, Smilodon populator was larger than these cats IIRC, don't underestimate them.

“Australia's #1 Paleontologist”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#27 Dec 20, 2012
Spino guy wrote:
Smilodon paws won't even kill a human.The claws would be seriously painful but won't kill.And with the raptor speed does it.He can just side step the Smilodon and give a good claw thrash.Deinonychus would win most of the time,oh it would be very unlikely for smilodon to tackle it since the deinonychus can just side step every attempt it makes.
Smilodon paws wouldn't kill a human? Where are you getting this info from?

I'd like to see you try and survive a knockout paw swipe from a bear, it's not the claws that kill, it's the force of the swing. Many people have been killed by bears this way, and like i said, S.populator was built like a bear as opposed to a cat.

The Raptor is perhaps even at MORE risk of this than us, they are lightly built and with bones that weren't very large or solid. A swipe would easily break it's neck like a twig.

I like dinosaurs more than mammals, but am not a total fanboy to support them in a fight were they are clearly outclassed.
Not fossilized dino crap

Mesquite, NV

#28 Dec 23, 2012
deinonychus didnt exist or smilodon did the fossil were plantd by satan there to mislead us

“FAECVS TAVRI”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#29 Dec 23, 2012
That theory I think is debatable. Yes, there have been strange-looking dinosaurs that look like a/the devil (i.e. Carnotaurus) But otherwise I don't really see how they would be planted by Satan. For one thing, it seems very not likely that Noah's Ark actually happened. So then we turn to evolution. Also, have you looked at the process of fossilization? Which has been proven to be the way that fossils are created?
Nitrox

San Francisco, CA

#30 Dec 23, 2012
JMD577 wrote:
That theory I think is debatable. Yes, there have been strange-looking dinosaurs that look like a/the devil (i.e. Carnotaurus) But otherwise I don't really see how they would be planted by Satan. For one thing, it seems very not likely that Noah's Ark actually happened. So then we turn to evolution. Also, have you looked at the process of fossilization? Which has been proven to be the way that fossils are created?
See, this is what shows how ridiculous junior is.

A troll walks into a forum mocking creationists by saying "god planted fossils to test our faith".

The whole forum either realizes he's trolling, or laughs at the ridiculousness of the beliefs he apparently holds.

Then JMD comes back and opens his first post by saying "I think that theory is debatable".........

“Australia's #1 Paleontologist”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#31 Dec 23, 2012
"deinonychus didnt exist or smilodon did the fossil were plantd by satan there to mislead us"

Really? Is that all it takes to turn a thread into another religion debate?

Keep it to yourself because i hate these discussions, seriously STFU please no one talk about religion for now on.
Spino guy

Brackenfell, South Africa

#32 Dec 23, 2012
Where did you get that, dinosaurs existed, there's no word in saying they were planted by satan
Go away

Mesquite, NV

#33 Dec 23, 2012
Spino guy wrote:
Where did you get that, dinosaurs existed, there's no word in saying they were planted by satan
Your a hypocrite. First you talk about religious crap, and now you're saying this.

So you believe that dinosaurs just popped out of thin air, and when a species dies out a new one comes out of thin air to replace it? A much more plausible explanation is that dinosaurs evolve into more developed ones.

And if you do believe that dinosaurs evolved, then why does every other animal evolve, yet humans are just created out of thin air?

“FAECVS TAVRI”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#34 Dec 23, 2012
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>
See, this is what shows how ridiculous junior is.
A troll walks into a forum mocking creationists by saying "god planted fossils to test our faith".
The whole forum either realizes he's trolling, or laughs at the ridiculousness of the beliefs he apparently holds.
Then JMD comes back and opens his first post by saying "I think that theory is debatable".........
We know that's you. Also, That wasn't my first post. You obviously haven't seen the updated forum long enough to realize that.
i dont like coprolite1

Mesquite, NV

#35 Dec 23, 2012
JMD577 wrote:
<quoted text>
We know that's you. Also, That wasn't my first post. You obviously haven't seen the updated forum long enough to realize that.
r u sure that's pinky? pinky lives in lake forest
i think this is that AW person that coprolite was talking about earlier.
I Like Coprolite1

London, UK

#36 Dec 23, 2012
i dont like coprolite1 wrote:
<quoted text>r u sure that's pinky? pinky lives in lake forest
i think this is that AW person that coprolite was talking about earlier.
Correct, BR = Bunny Rabbit (pazb) hasn't posted in weeks.
Some random guy

Mesquite, NV

#37 Dec 23, 2012
His last post was about a month ago.

also, why do you call him br = bunny rabbit? is it cause thats what his name used to be?
Some random guy

Mesquite, NV

#38 Dec 23, 2012
and that person from san francisco is AW
Altanative

San Francisco, CA

#39 Dec 23, 2012
JMD577 wrote:
<quoted text>
We know that's you. Also, That wasn't my first post. You obviously haven't seen the updated forum long enough to realize that.
I think that's me.

Also, there is no "updated forum".

I was referring to how you "left" till 2022 or whatever and then chickened out and came back. That was your first or second post after coming back. Didn't you read the entirety of my comment?

“FAECVS TAVRI”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#40 Dec 24, 2012
Yes and I don't think you understand. This thread is getting more offtopic. I'm going to step away now..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dinosaur Sculptures Cause Stir In Texas Neighbo... 6 hr Lucy 5
Megalodon vs Basilosaurus (May '09) 6 hr Taco 40
Poll Do you swear fealty to Ohyeah Spinosaurus? 10 hr Fartosaurus Rex 2
Spinosaurus vs trex (Feb '13) 18 hr Trex kills spino 111
tyrannosaurus vs spinosaurus 19 hr tarbosaurus rex 5
Spinosaurus would easily beat T rex in a fight (Jun '14) Fri tarbosaurus rex 233
Tyrannosaurus and Brontosaurus (Jul '06) Fri tarbosaurus rex 30
More from around the web