Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#21 Sep 6, 2011
Well, how on Earth does that explain how they took down the Tenontosaurus? You see, when the Tenontosaurus skeleton was found, its carcass was half-eaten. And one Deinonychus certainly would NOT be capable of bringing down a fully-grown Tenontosaurus. So, it's quite obvious that Deinonychus, as well as most other deinonychosaurs, were, indeed, pack hunters, as was originally thought.

“DoubleTheClaw, DoubleThePain”

Since: Aug 11

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#22 Sep 7, 2011
Yes,because 4 were found dead,and the killer is another deinonychus(or Deinonychuses) it must be a pack fight because 2 family group(which is around 3 per group) couldn't have done that,the two packs should be around like 8 and when four were killed,one of the packs decided to retreat.

“DoubleTheClaw, DoubleThePain”

Since: Aug 11

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#23 Sep 7, 2011
Spinoraptor wrote:
Well, how on Earth does that explain how they took down the Tenontosaurus? You see, when the Tenontosaurus skeleton was found, its carcass was half-eaten. And one Deinonychus certainly would NOT be capable of bringing down a fully-grown Tenontosaurus. So, it's quite obvious that Deinonychus, as well as most other deinonychosaurs, were, indeed, pack hunters, as was originally thought.
The tenontosaurus could be a carcass that 2 packs fight for if it was alive a pack of deinonychus fought it and 4 is killed if it's not by the tenontosaurus,it's simply competition of members of 1 pack.

Since: Feb 11

Winnipeg, Canada

#24 Sep 7, 2011
anomonyous wrote:
<quoted text>Well, let's see...
4 deinonychus were found dead, killed by some other deinonychus and not a large predator or herbivore. Therefore, it is concluded that they must pack hunt.
A halfway formed answer, I'd think.
How does what you say make sense of what I just said?

Of course they must have hunted in packs! If the amount of dienonychus being killed scavenging was 4 died dienonychus for each died prey then dienonychus wouldn't have been a successsful carnivore let alone exist! What the heck did you think I was thinking? Even then, I've already given prove that based on shed teeth, dienonychus was actively hunting the tenotosaurus!

Since: Feb 11

Winnipeg, Canada

#25 Sep 7, 2011
anomonyous wrote:
4 deinonychus were found dead, killed by some other deinonychus and not a large predator or herbivore.
Oh wait...

Dienonychus that were found near the tenontosaurus had crushed bones which shows that they attacked it and got killed by them.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#26 Sep 7, 2011
Spinoraptor wrote:
Well, how on Earth does that explain how they took down the Tenontosaurus? You see, when the Tenontosaurus skeleton was found, its carcass was half-eaten. And one Deinonychus certainly would NOT be capable of bringing down a fully-grown Tenontosaurus. So, it's quite obvious that Deinonychus, as well as most other deinonychosaurs, were, indeed, pack hunters, as was originally thought.
Maybe it was just already dead?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#27 Sep 7, 2011
Balaur wrote:
Yes,because 4 were found dead,and the killer is another deinonychus(or Deinonychuses) it must be a pack fight because 2 family group(which is around 3 per group) couldn't have done that,the two packs should be around like 8 and when four were killed,one of the packs decided to retreat.
Maybe just some from each group were killed?!

I think that should answer a fair few questions. Think deeper.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#28 Sep 7, 2011
Mattking rex wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wait...
Dienonychus that were found near the tenontosaurus had crushed bones which shows that they attacked it and got killed by them.
Please show evidence...

And who's to say that deinonychus could not crush bones?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#29 Sep 7, 2011
Mattking rex wrote:
<quoted text>
amount of dienonychus being killed scavenging was 4 died dienonychus for each died prey then dienonychus wouldn't have been a successsful carnivore let alone exist!
Ok, so somehow pack-hunting would help?

Regardless of whether or not deinonychus pack hunted, the amount killed were still the same.

Since: Feb 11

Winnipeg, Canada

#30 Sep 7, 2011
anomonyous wrote:
<quoted text>Please show evidence...
And who's to say that deinonychus could not crush bones?
1) Taphonomy and Paleobiological Implications of Tenontosaurus-Deinonychus Associations, says that most of the bones are broken but I can't get full access to the article. Also, JFC says that many of the bones were crushed aswell, however although JFC isn't exactly the best reference out in the world, I doubt they would lie about something like that.

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl=en&a...

2) Not "crushed", if anything is the best description, flattened is the best. Even then, dienonychus may have had the ability to penetrate bone, there isn't evidence that it was crushing it. The teeth just are not designed to crack open bones.

Since: Feb 11

Winnipeg, Canada

#31 Sep 7, 2011
anomonyous wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, so somehow pack-hunting would help?
Regardless of whether or not deinonychus pack hunted, the amount killed were still the same.
Unless dienonychus was really stupid and fought any rival it saw and fought to the death with them, dienonychus probably wasn't a scavenger that killed 4 of its own kind or more for ever dead carcass it saw. Even modern scavengers don't kill each other that much. What are the odds that after maybe 2 killed dienonychus another dienonychus would be stupid enough to fight to the death with a dienonychus that killed the others? Scavengers just don't fight to the death when ever they want, most of the time one backs down.

Conclusion:

Dienonychus hunted in groups or what not and unless it was the least successful animal in existens, it scavenged prey and the species was stupid enough to kill more of its own kind then its prey.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#32 Sep 7, 2011
Mattking rex wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless dienonychus was really stupid and fought any rival it saw and fought to the death with them, dienonychus probably wasn't a scavenger that killed 4 of its own kind or more for ever dead carcass it saw.
Like I saud, pack hunting wouldn't help. 4 dead is 4 dead.

Since: Feb 11

Winnipeg, Canada

#33 Sep 7, 2011
anomonyous wrote:
<quoted text>Like I saud, pack hunting wouldn't help. 4 dead is 4 dead.
Pack hunting would help! Its the only way it could hunt tenontosaurus. All the best evidence points them hunting tenontosaurus in a group.

“Taste my purging steel”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#34 Sep 7, 2011
anomonyous wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, so somehow pack-hunting would help?

Regardless of whether or not deinonychus pack hunted, the amount killed were still the same.
Yes, because they could develope stratigys and work together. This would increase efficiancy by many time.
Brachiotitan

Calgary, Canada

#35 Sep 7, 2011
I have to say, with all of this evidence, it sure seems that Dienonychus could have hunted in packs. Or perhaps the different animals only worked together when attacking said (perhaps wounded) tenontosaurus, and after eating their fill, went seperate ways. Phenomenon like this happen in animals with much simpler brains and behavior, like Komodo Dragons.

Since: Feb 11

Winnipeg, Canada

#36 Sep 7, 2011
Brachiotitan wrote:
I have to say, with all of this evidence, it sure seems that Dienonychus could have hunted in packs. Or perhaps the different animals only worked together when attacking said (perhaps wounded) tenontosaurus, and after eating their fill, went seperate ways. Phenomenon like this happen in animals with much simpler brains and behavior, like Komodo Dragons.
Hey, your back Brachiotitan!

Nice to see you (figuratively)

“DoubleTheClaw, DoubleThePain”

Since: Aug 11

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#37 Sep 7, 2011
Giganotosaurus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because they could develope stratigys and work together. This would increase efficiancy by many time.
Infact,MANY MANY MANY times because you can use strategy,surprise attack,corner,ambush.... Very efficiently.

“DoubleTheClaw, DoubleThePain”

Since: Aug 11

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#38 Sep 7, 2011
Brachiotitan wrote:
I have to say, with all of this evidence, it sure seems that Dienonychus could have hunted in packs. Or perhaps the different animals only worked together when attacking said (perhaps wounded) tenontosaurus, and after eating their fill, went seperate ways. Phenomenon like this happen in animals with much simpler brains and behavior, like Komodo Dragons.
Hey you're back,NICE another logical person is now present on topix

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#39 Sep 7, 2011
Yep! You see, poor little Anonymous, it looks like you are outnumbered, my friend. And, you also have one more additional weakness; YOU HAVE NO NAME! BWA - HA - HA - HA - HA!!!!!!!!!!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#40 Sep 8, 2011
Giganotosaurus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because they could develope stratigys and work together. This would increase efficiancy by many time.
Yet they could also do it by themselves. They aren't ants, where their intelligence is seemingly "combined". They can think for themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
allosaurus vs spinosaurus (Apr '09) 7 hr Voltanis 200
Allosaurus vs Carnotaurus (May '11) 14 hr tyrannospinus 70
Spinosaurus VS Canned Yellowfin Tuna XD (Mar '10) 15 hr tyrannospinus 43
Predator X vs. Megalodon (Mar '09) 15 hr tyrannospinus 808
Jurassic world predictions 15 hr tyrannospinus 2
A creationist's field trip to a museum Tue Kid_Tomorrow 1
bahariasaurus vs torvosaurus (american) Tue alloultra 1

Dinosaur People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE