Tyrannosaurus vs Ankylosaurus
fossildigger

Pensacola, FL

#426 Aug 3, 2010
"Martes pennanti", also referred to as the "fisher cat" or "fisher" IS a mustelid, I agree.

The pointiness of the porcupine would resemble a Kentrosaurus member of the Stegosaur group, although the nodosaur ankylosaurs like Gastonia or Polocanthus may be a better analogy since we are talking ankylosaur vs tyrannosaur.

One other thing that may be problematis is that so far there is little consenus as to the maximum size of Ankylosaurus. Older estimates had it in the 30-feet range with almost 6 tons of body weight. More recent estimates have it below 20 feet with a range of 2-4 tons. The latter would make a successful attack by Tyrannosaurus more likely.

We really need to find a complete Ankylosaurus skeleton...:(
person

San Leandro, CA

#427 Aug 3, 2010
oh, i thought you meant the "fishing cat", prionailus vivverinus. the porcupine is a better analogy for a stegosaur vs an allosaur, but it is the closest thing to an ankylosaurid that we have today. yes, we really need to find more ankylosaur skeletons. we DO have some eucephalus skeletons to compare, though. if the 6-7m estimates are correct, then there is no doubt in my mind that a T.rex can kill it.(darn you tarchia! your name sounds weirder!)
fossildigger

Pensacola, FL

#428 Aug 5, 2010
LOL

Yeah, Tarchia is an odd sounding name. But that genus may bring some cool surprises once the people that found the fossils finish up re-assembling the post-cranial skeletons. Preliminiary reports on the numbers of specimens they dug up are super-promising. So far we only got to see the skull. I want to see how much of the body and the osteoderms they have.

Tyrannosaurus probably -could- kill an Ankylosaurus/Euoplocephalus IF certain conditions applied, aka the hunter having the experience and health required AND the necessity for the fight (no other food source). If I can get a ceratopsid or even a hadrosaur I'd probably take that before an ankylosaurid.

The fight would probably depend a lot on situational luck as both combatants would have good physiological ability to land critical injury on the opponent. In either case, the fight would be one to watch and place some bets due to the different possible outcomes.

As far as hypothetical carnivore-herbivore confrontations, I would say Tyrannosaurus vs Ankylosaurus would definately be one of the most gripping, no matter which side one roots for. Whichever animal came out on top, it would have been a dangerous and spectacular confrontation.
nate

Las Vegas, NV

#429 Mar 30, 2011
PaudieN1 wrote:
<quoted text> Really? Due to survival instinct, you can do just about anything when your life is in danger, eg. when the twin towers were attacked a man with a broken leg RAN down many flights of stairs and it was only when he made it out of the tower that if realised what he had done.
look, a t-rex legs were hard as steel verticaly but not horizontally, its like a tothpick press down on it takes a lot more force than to hit it on its side, and you also haft to take in consideration that the legs had to be under so much stress. t-rext wasnt made to fight somthing back, it was made to use its size to scare its prey and then bite with so much force to kill it instantly, and no it couldnt walk away, it would fall under its own wait, and probably die because it couldn't breathe....

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#430 Mar 30, 2011
LOL.

What kind of predator can't even stand if it's injured?

Tyrannosaurus did not scare its prey, the only predator that does that is the one the subsequently gets injured and can't stand because it alarmed its prey.

Tyrannosaurus does not have to stand to breath.
Colossalsaurus Orientalis

Eustis, FL

#431 Mar 30, 2011
Ankylosaurus wins.
It's much more heavily armored and has that KILLER club. To be more realistic, T-rex would have stayed away and gone for other easier prey rather than charged it head on.
And i seriously doubt T-rex would have gone through the armor as you previously said. Nor is it likely T-rex could've been able to flip over Ankylosaurus.

Location hidden

#432 Mar 31, 2011
Hello, 7+ tons of bite force + 6 inch teeth?

It's always a forced fight.

That said ankylosaurus would usually win.

Charging it head on might no actually been a bad idea, and I imagine that if tyrannosaurus ever got desperate enough to prey on an ankylosaurus, it would try to go head on.
DinoFan

United States

#433 Mar 31, 2011
It depends. Ankylosaurus might win if T. rex attacks by its deadly tail club. If T. rex comes from head on, it will probably win by biting on the less-protected face or arm (and flipping it over).
Razor Jaws

Sarasota, FL

#434 Mar 31, 2011
DinoFan wrote:
It depends. Ankylosaurus might win if T. rex attacks by its deadly tail club. If T. rex comes from head on, it will probably win by biting on the less-protected face or arm (and flipping it over).
Ankylo's head was made of 5 inch thick pure bone. T rex could not flip it over. If you think about it poking Ankylo's eye out, too bad. Ankylo had an eyelid made of bone. Don't know 'bout the arm though.
DinoFan

United States

#435 Mar 31, 2011
Razor Jaws wrote:
<quoted text>Ankylo's head was made of 5 inch thick pure bone. T rex could not flip it over. If you think about it poking Ankylo's eye out, too bad. Ankylo had an eyelid made of bone. Don't know 'bout the arm though.
The face was less protected than the rest of the body and with T. rex's bite force that may have been enough to drive those teeth through the skull.
Technically T. rex could jab the eyes and hurt them with its teeth, even an inch of eyelid bone couldn't stop a T. rex.
The arm had no armor or bone on the surface.
Okay, let me reconsider flipping it over. Maybe grabbing the arm with its teeth and ripping backwards, taking the body with it?
Razor Jaws

Sarasota, FL

#436 Mar 31, 2011
Still no. Ankylo weighs 5 tons. rex just can't do it. You also have seem to have forgotten that anklosaurus has a 100 POUND BONE SHATTERING CLUB.

Location hidden

#437 Apr 1, 2011
A 100 pound bone shattering club is no use if tyrannosaurus is right in front of the ankylosaurus. That's the major flaw of having a defense on your tail.

Tyrannosaurus' bite was easily enough to crush ankylosaurus' skull. You can smash apart 1 inch of bone with a hammer blow, so 5 inches of bone could probably be easily penetrated by 6 inch teeth being driven in by at least 7 tons of force.
Razor Jaws

Sarasota, FL

#438 Apr 1, 2011
anomonyous wrote:
A 100 pound bone shattering club is no use if tyrannosaurus is right in front of the ankylosaurus. That's the major flaw of having a defense on your tail.
Tyrannosaurus' bite was easily enough to crush ankylosaurus' skull. You can smash apart 1 inch of bone with a hammer blow, so 5 inches of bone could probably be easily penetrated by 6 inch teeth being driven in by at least 7 tons of force.
Good point, but wouldn't you think it would've been designed NOT for that 2 happen?
DinoFan

United States

#439 Apr 1, 2011
Razor Jaws wrote:
<quoted text>Good point, but wouldn't you think it would've been designed NOT for that 2 happen?
That's why some paleontologists once believed that the tail had fake "eye"-like designs so the predator would be confused of which one was the head or which one was the tail.
Colossalsaurus Orientalis

Eustis, FL

#440 Apr 2, 2011
DinoFan wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why some paleontologists once believed that the tail had fake "eye"-like designs so the predator would be confused of which one was the head or which one was the tail.
And that theory flew out the window.

Location hidden

#441 Apr 2, 2011
Razor Jaws wrote:
<quoted text>Good point, but wouldn't you think it would've been designed NOT for that 2 happen?
t is possible that ankylosaurus could've been more agile then other herbivores so it could constantly keep its tail in front of the predator, but if tyrannosaurus turned and ran in a straight line to ankylo's head this would be less useful. Even then it is a difficult tactic for the t. rex.
DinoFan

Rockford, IL

#442 Apr 2, 2011
Colossalsaurus Orientalis wrote:
<quoted text>And that theory flew out the window.
I wonder why that is.
proffesor

Chaska, MN

#443 Dec 20, 2011
t. rex was only made to kill, now think if trex couldnt kill anky then the balance of anky population would increasy a lot and soon there will be ankys all over the place. t rex could ofcourse kill anky because with it 4 ton per cubic centimeter bite he would crush bones or armor. also ankys armor was only good for defending against small dinosours like raptors, but not trex!

“God is good, All the time”

Since: Nov 11

Singapore

#444 Dec 20, 2011
Anky was a very well-protected dinosaur, even for T-Rex. THe only way was to crush the Anky's skull by trying to dodge the tail or be already in front in the first place.65/35 to Anky.

“DoubleTheClaw, DoubleThePain”

Since: Aug 11

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#445 Dec 20, 2011
dinotrek27 wrote:
Anky was a very well-protected dinosaur, even for T-Rex. THe only way was to crush the Anky's skull by trying to dodge the tail or be already in front in the first place.65/35 to Anky.
Yeah that would be it,but I would have to think that even T-Rex would avoid a fight with such a well protected herbivore

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spinosaurus or Tyrannosaurus? Fri Coelophysis 13
Spinosaurus vs. t-rex (Dec '07) Jul 20 maya 5,825
Tyranna, King of the Dinosaurs. (Feb '12) Jul 20 Coprolite 40
The planet of Dinosaurs (Jan '12) Jul 20 Coprolite 158
I made my new forum called "imperial palace 2" ... (Feb '13) Jul 20 Coprolite 13
Is fossilshack.com legit? Are all the fossils a... Jul 18 Ian_soy 1
The Truth About Spinosaurus Aegypticus. (Sep '09) Jul 18 DinoGuy 519
More from around the web