Posted in the Dinosaur Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Taste my purging steel”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#1 Jun 2, 2011
Trex is a vlassic that everyone thinks is invincible. But new dinos discoverd are bigger faster and argueably tougher. PS trex fanboys stay away!!!!!!

“Taste my purging steel”

Location hidden

#2 Jun 2, 2011
I mean not and tyrant
Neon Drane

Sarasota, FL

#3 Jun 2, 2011
Giganotosaurus wrote:
Trex is a vlassic that everyone thinks is invincible. But new dinos discoverd are bigger faster and argueably tougher. PS trex fanboys stay away!!!!!!
VOTE THIS UP.

“Epic Facepalm!”

Queen Creek, AZ

#4 Jun 3, 2011
This is a useless, stupid and facetious thread. "Trex fanboys stay away"? Paudie is like the only T. rex fanboy and he's never on here.

What's so bad about T. rex, anyway?
By the way, no theropod the same size or larger than T. rex was faster than it.
The holotype Giganotosaurus specimen is measured at 41 ft, with Sue maxing out at 42 ft. A second G. carolinii specimen has been found that is reportedly slightly larger than the holotype. Even with the same proportions as the holotype, it would be only around 42-43 ft long.

MORE INFO: http://theropods.blogspot.com/2011/03/theropo...

Giganotosaurus speed estimates - http://theropods.blogspot.com/2011/04/theropo...

Spinosaurus is way to incomplete to even say it reached maximums of 50 ft.

MORE INFO:
http://theropods.blogspot.com/2011/03/theropo...

“Superevolved KingoftheMonster s”

Freeport

#5 Jun 3, 2011
I was a Rex Fanboy

“Epic Facepalm!”

Queen Creek, AZ

#6 Jun 3, 2011
It doesn't matter, at least you don't shove your "fanboyism" down other people's throats. Like when RJ forced us to be christians and like Spinosaurus (weird mix, isn't it?).
Neon Drane

Sarasota, FL

#7 Jun 3, 2011
Taylor Reints wrote:
This is a useless, stupid and facetious thread. "Trex fanboys stay away"? Paudie is like the only T. rex fanboy and he's never on here.
What's so bad about T. rex, anyway?
By the way, no theropod the same size or larger than T. rex was faster than it.
The holotype Giganotosaurus specimen is measured at 41 ft, with Sue maxing out at 42 ft. A second G. carolinii specimen has been found that is reportedly slightly larger than the holotype. Even with the same proportions as the holotype, it would be only around 42-43 ft long.
MORE INFO: http://theropods.blogspot.com/2011/03/theropo...
Giganotosaurus speed estimates - http://theropods.blogspot.com/2011/04/theropo...
Spinosaurus is way to incomplete to even say it reached maximums of 50 ft.
MORE INFO:
http://theropods.blogspot.com/2011/03/theropo...
That is why they use their closest relatives. AND the spinosaurus fossil that was found was only a YOUNG one. And please don't tell me of a creature that is about 45 feet long and weighs 12 tons.
Neon Drane

Sarasota, FL

#8 Jun 3, 2011
Taylor Reints wrote:
It doesn't matter, at least you don't shove your "fanboyism" down other people's throats. Like when RJ forced us to be christians and like Spinosaurus (weird mix, isn't it?).
I didn't force you. You obviously aren't christians, so I obviously didn't force you.

Freeport

#9 Jun 3, 2011
Well I'm Roman Cathloic
Neon Drane

Sarasota, FL

#10 Jun 3, 2011
Good for you.
Spinodontosaurus

Manchester, UK

#11 Jun 5, 2011
I love it when people ignore that 17m is a conservative rounding down of the only way to estimate Spinosaurus' size :/

Either way, pointless thread. Tyrannosaurus is not the largest theropod, we know that, it hasnt been since 1912.
Giganotosaurus has nothing over Tyrannosaurus, the original specimen is smaller and the larger specimen is still probably smaller, although a tad longer.
No theropod around the size of Tyrannosaurus (or larger) would come close to its speed. Smaller theropods, yeah, obviously, but no 30mph Giganotosaurus', please.
'Tougher'? Lols. Only Spinsaurus can really claim this, which in itself is debatable, but only because it is 2 times the size.

I smell a Tyrannosaurus hater...

Freeport

#12 Jun 5, 2011
Spinodontosaurus wrote:
I love it when people ignore that 17m is a conservative rounding down of the only way to estimate Spinosaurus' size :/
Either way, pointless thread. Tyrannosaurus is not the largest theropod, we know that, it hasnt been since 1912.
Giganotosaurus has nothing over Tyrannosaurus, the original specimen is smaller and the larger specimen is still probably smaller, although a tad longer.
No theropod around the size of Tyrannosaurus (or larger) would come close to its speed. Smaller theropods, yeah, obviously, but no 30mph Giganotosaurus', please.
'Tougher'? Lols. Only Spinsaurus can really claim this, which in itself is debatable, but only because it is 2 times the size.
I smell a Tyrannosaurus hater...
See,Spinodont, I'm a member of Topix.

“Epic Facepalm!”

Queen Creek, AZ

#13 Jun 5, 2011
Neon Drane wrote:
That is why they use their closest relatives. AND the spinosaurus fossil that was found was only a YOUNG one. And please don't tell me of a creature that is about 45 feet long and weighs 12 tons.
???
They mostly use Baryonyx and Suchomimus (probably synonymous genera), which are baryonychines, not spinosaurines. They could have slighly different or varied proportions from that of Spinosaurus.

I know of the holotype, which is 14 m and a subadult presumably. It wouldn't have grown much larger until it died, maybe two or so meters, if that (if it was even 14 m in the first place, it was destroyed in WWII, so its information may be obsolete). I don't even know how they know this individual was a subadult in the first place.

Another individual is completely grown and is around 14 m and is only 6.7 tons! How's that?

That's the only material I can list! Isn't that unusual? Well, all other material is so incomplete they cannot estimate size or age.

So it looks like 14 or 15 m is the maximum for Spinosaurus aegyptiacus.
Anonymous

Sarasota, FL

#14 Jun 5, 2011
You just can't stand having a dino better than rex, can you? And I used to be a HUGE t rex fanboy.
Spinodontosaurus

Cockermouth, UK

#16 Jun 6, 2011
How can 15m be the 'maximum' for Spinosaurus when an animal that was likely around 17m is known, and is almost certainly average...?
And, again, the 14m 'adult' may not be an adult at all, Mortimer just presumed this off hand for some reason.
And yes, we can only base it on Baryonyx, who is not as close as we would like to Spinosaurus, but why do you insist on denying that Spinosaurus is as big as evidence currenbtly suggests? Yes, the MSNM V4074 skull MAY represent a 15m animal. BUT, it may also represent a 20m animal for all we know, WE DONT KNOW. We MUST presume it had simmilar proportions to Baryonyx; 17m is even a rounding DOWN for crying out loud (as is the holotypes size, it was closer to 14.4m and 8t rather than 14m and 7t. But whatever).

I guess Stromer either described the holotype as a sub adult OR described features that later authors interpreted as sub adult characteristsics.
Neon

Sarasota, FL

#17 Jun 6, 2011
Actually, it was a YOUNG spinosaurus, not even a sub adult, therefor putting estimates of around 60 feet MAX!

“Epic Facepalm!”

Queen Creek, AZ

#18 Jun 6, 2011
Neon wrote:
Actually, it was a YOUNG spinosaurus, not even a sub adult, therefor putting estimates of around 60 feet MAX!
The old estimates of 60 ft maximum are way off, 52 seems more correct.
Gimme a reference concluding that the holotype specimen is a young animal. The only young Spinosaurus known is a private specimen about 25 ft long.
Other Lizard

San Francisco, CA

#19 Jun 6, 2011
Why do you insist on trying to downsize Spino as much as possible?

Why?

“Epic Facepalm!”

Queen Creek, AZ

#20 Jun 6, 2011
I don't!
Why, do you think Spinosaurus aegyptiacus reached maximum lengths of 60 ft or more?
Other Lizard

San Francisco, CA

#21 Jun 6, 2011
Did I ever say more? You said 15M max. That is pure bias.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kaiju Battle Arena (Sep '14) 11 hr 1def-ghd 48
I need your help ! 11 hr 1def-ghd 1
Megalodon vs Predator X vs Liopleurodon (Aug '14) Thu Heroin addict 17
Megaraptor vs. Spinosaurus (Feb '13) Apr 24 cooldude 46
Tyrannosaurus vs Giganotosaurus vs Spinosaurus (Jul '09) Apr 24 That one 2,056
Carnotaurus vs. Allosaurus (Feb '09) Apr 22 Carno 375
Tyrannosaurus vs Carnotaurus (Nov '08) Apr 22 Carno 173
More from around the web