Can T-Rex hunt sauropod(if they met)

Can T-Rex hunt sauropod(if they met)

Posted in the Dinosaur Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Diloto

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

#1 Mar 4, 2011
T-Rex was built to hunt small but tough prey but can it hunt down large sauropod like Carchadontosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus did.
Colossalsaurus Neo

Eustis, FL

#2 Mar 4, 2011
Yes. Alamosaurus is a prime example. Some T-rex lived in Texas, so of course Alamosaurus would be part of their diet. Of course, they'd go for the young or sick, similar to how other large theropods did it.
Razor Jaws

Sarasota, FL

#3 Mar 4, 2011
Diloto wrote:
T-Rex was built to hunt small but tough prey but can it hunt down large sauropod like Carchadontosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus did.
Don't forget spinosaurus.
DinoFan

Rockford, IL

#4 Mar 4, 2011
Razor Jaws wrote:
<quoted text> Don't forget spinosaurus.
Spinosaurus, most likely, did not hunt large sauropods. Probably not even medium-sized or small sauropods.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5 Mar 6, 2011
Small sauropods, yes, but not medium to large sauropods.
Colossalsaurus Neo

Eustis, FL

#6 Mar 6, 2011
Small sauropods are pretty much a theropods favorite meal.
Spinosaurus COULD hunt sauropds, except only small young. That's basically the law of the hunt: Small is easier.
There are several sauropods that thrived in Spinosaurus's area, in example Paralititan. There's already a thread about that, but lets all agree that T-rex can hunt sauropods.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#7 Mar 6, 2011
Small sauropods, that is.
Razor Jaws

Sarasota, FL

#8 Mar 6, 2011
Colossalsaurus Neo wrote:
Small sauropods are pretty much a theropods favorite meal.
Spinosaurus COULD hunt sauropds, except only small young. That's basically the law of the hunt: Small is easier.
There are several sauropods that thrived in Spinosaurus's area, in example Paralititan. There's already a thread about that, but lets all agree that T-rex can hunt sauropods.
Where is the thread? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TEACH ME HOW TO MAKE A THREAD?!
Colossalsaurus Neo

Eustis, FL

#9 Mar 6, 2011
it's Spinosaurus Ate:
Predator X

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#10 Mar 7, 2011
Small, yes. T.rex kills by neck bite mostly. So it would have to be able to reach the neck or spine. It cannot bite huge chunks of meat from the flank like Carch and Giga. Same goes for Spino, though Spino's teeth and jaws are weaker then Rex' and its mouth opening isn't close to Giga and Carch, so for Spino it would be even more difficult to kill sauropod.

“Titan Predator Of Africa”

Since: Aug 09

Basildon, UK

#11 Mar 7, 2011
All of the above theropods ate thing smaller than themselves.
For Spinosaurus that would mean vitually anything it wanted, except adult paralititan, which were the only animals around that were larger than Spinosaurus.
Everything else it could hunt and kill successfuly, even other theropods, although, as i mentioned in another thread, there is the risk of injury and/or death, so Spinosaurus, like any other carnivore, would likely target the young, old and sick of each species.
The last common ancestor

Oxley, Australia

#12 May 7, 2012
sauropods were slower the the T. rex, the bite force of a the T.rex could easily be enought to sever vital spinal cords in theory, stay tuned to Jurassic Park 4

“the great killer ”

Since: Feb 12

kolkata, India

#13 May 7, 2012
Colossalsaurus Neo wrote:
Yes. Alamosaurus is a prime example. Some T-rex lived in Texas, so of course Alamosaurus would be part of their diet. Of course, they'd go for the young or sick, similar to how other large theropods did it.
also tarbosaurus the cousin of tyrannosaurus hunted big sauropods like nemegtosaurus and i think that tyrannosauridae hunted in pack like raptors to kill a big animal like a alamosaurus and to kill tough animals like triceratops and ankylosaurus easily.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#14 May 7, 2012
Spinosaur King wrote:
All of the above theropods ate thing smaller than themselves.
For Spinosaurus that would mean vitually anything it wanted, except adult paralititan, which were the only animals around that were larger than Spinosaurus.
Everything else it could hunt and kill successfuly, even other theropods, although, as i mentioned in another thread, there is the risk of injury and/or death, so Spinosaurus, like any other carnivore, would likely target the young, old and sick of each species.
I doubt spinosaurus could roam around and RAWR!!!!1111 and just eat everything it sees. Tyrannosaurus cannot eat a Tarbosaurus that is just barely smaller than it, or at least, has a very low chance of succeeding should it attempt to do so.
VITO GUTTILLA

AOL

#15 May 6, 2013
MY BELIEF IS ADULT SAUROS WENT DOWN BY OLD AGE AND NOT BY HUNT.ANY BI-PED CARNO HAD TO BE NUTS TO TRY.AGE GIVES ANY ANIMAL A CIRCLE OF LIFE.THATS WHEN THEY FEED.HOWEVER,A JUVENEL IS FAST PRAY.THAT GOES WITH ANY AND ALL.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#16 May 6, 2013
no ways could any large theropod hunt a sauropod unless it was small or small enough.
Oasegenggam

Jakarta, Indonesia

#17 May 7, 2013
I would say Rex hunted Alamosaurus, so yeah he could hunt a Sauropod.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#18 May 7, 2013
Oasegenggam wrote:
I would say Rex hunted Alamosaurus, so yeah he could hunt a Sauropod.
True
unbeatable loser

Birmingham, UK

#19 May 7, 2013
"I would say Rex hunted Alamosaurus, so yeah he could hunt a Sauropod."

I'm not convinced

I think T.rex would try to hunt it in a pinch, but it overall it isn't well adapted to hunting sauropods T.rex seems to fit the same niche as Abelisaurs(in some cases abelisaur remains have been misidentified as tyrannosaurs...eg "austrotyrannus") id imagine there would be something else that hunted them...

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#20 May 11, 2013
unbeatable loser wrote:
"I would say Rex hunted Alamosaurus, so yeah he could hunt a Sauropod."
I'm not convinced
I think T.rex would try to hunt it in a pinch, but it overall it isn't well adapted to hunting sauropods T.rex seems to fit the same niche as Abelisaurs(in some cases abelisaur remains have been misidentified as tyrannosaurs...eg "austrotyrannus") id imagine there would be something else that hunted them...
T. Rex is built for large prey, but not Mega large prey.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tyrannosaurus vs Giganotosaurus vs Spinosaurus (Jul '09) 19 hr Heathen 2,059
European Jaguar talk Sun 1def-ghd 1
Suchomimus vs T-rex (Dec '12) Sat Venatrix8 36
Carnotaurus vs. Allosaurus (Feb '09) May 28 Ayub54 377
10 most dangerous therapods. (Aug '09) May 27 Livero Alvieri 173
Raptor (dromaeosaurid) hand placement? May 26 KeeganKuhn 1
utahraptor vs gigantoraptor May 26 love dinosaurs ma... 1
More from around the web