First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PredatorAPEX1

Pasco, WA

#1 Jan 6, 2013
I've heard Megalania had a toxic bite.How did it use it (if you believe it did) and do you think so.

“Australia's #1 Paleontologist”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2 Jan 6, 2013
If the living Komodo Dragon is anything to go off, i'd say Megalania also had a toxic bite. I don't think the lizard is using actual venom though, i think it's the deadly pathogens and bacteria that resides in the mouth (causing wounds to become infected) that causes the "venomous" type killing method the lizard uses.

I'd imagine the mouth of Megalania was no cleaner than the mouth of a modern Komodo, hence i think it would have contained similar bacteria and pathogens as well, resulting in the same thing- a bite and infect type killing method. That is if the lacerations and blood loss didn't kill the animal outright anyway.

This kind of killing method would have also been useful considering the large and somewhat dangerous megafauna marsupials that existed in Australia at the time. One bite, and no further contact is needed. Just follow the dying animal and feast once it succumbs to it's infections.

Isn't nature wonderful :D

“"I am error"”

San Francisco

#3 Jan 6, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
If the living Komodo Dragon is anything to go off, i'd say Megalania also had a toxic bite. I don't think the lizard is using actual venom though, i think it's the deadly pathogens and bacteria that resides in the mouth (causing wounds to become infected) that causes the "venomous" type killing method the lizard uses.
I'd imagine the mouth of Megalania was no cleaner than the mouth of a modern Komodo, hence i think it would have contained similar bacteria and pathogens as well, resulting in the same thing- a bite and infect type killing method. That is if the lacerations and blood loss didn't kill the animal outright anyway.
This kind of killing method would have also been useful considering the large and somewhat dangerous megafauna marsupials that existed in Australia at the time. One bite, and no further contact is needed. Just follow the dying animal and feast once it succumbs to it's infections.
Only in Australia...
rexby

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jan 6, 2013
megalania,the giant lizard.

Location hidden

#5 Jan 6, 2013
rexby wrote:
megalania,the giant lizard.
Thankyou Rexby, that added SO MUCH to the discussion.

Such a valuable post, i can't believe i ever doubted you.

“What trolls???”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#6 Jan 6, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankyou Rexby, that added SO MUCH to the discussion.
Such a valuable post, i can't believe i ever doubted you.
Do you REALLY think that he actually contributed?

Really?

That wasn't anything. Just him stating the obvious.
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#7 Jan 6, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>Do you REALLY think that he actually contributed?
Really?
Oh yeah? NEVER EVER BOTHER OR TEASE A TROLL OR THEY WILL BEAT YOU UP. ATUALLY YOUR DEAD.

“What trolls???”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#8 Jan 6, 2013
Rexby wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah? NEVER EVER BOTHER OR TEASE A TROLL OR THEY WILL BEAT YOU UP. ATUALLY YOUR DEAD.
Oh dear, touch a nerve, did I?

Location hidden

#9 Jan 6, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>Do you REALLY think that he actually contributed?
Really?
Msacras.

Read it backwards, Rexby isn't intelligent enough to to this so i think we are safe! He won't catch on :)
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jan 6, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Msacras.
Read it backwards, Rexby isn't intelligent enough to to this so i think we are safe! He won't catch on :)
I am SUPER intelligence!!!

Location hidden

#11 Jan 6, 2013
Rexby wrote:
<quoted text>
I am SUPER intelligence!!!
Correction- "I am SUPER intelligent!!!"

As you can see, you are NOT intelligent, your basic english skills suck!
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jan 8, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction- "I am SUPER intelligent!!!"
As you can see, you are NOT intelligent, your basic english skills suck!
Yes I am intelligent!! And remember you just said I contributed? If you insult me one more time,I will troll!
PredatorAPEX1

Pasco, WA

#13 Jan 9, 2013
Paleoworld ignore him.
PredatorAPEX1

Pasco, WA

#14 Jan 9, 2013
You can't troll.
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#15 Jan 9, 2013
Paleoworld, please don't ignore me!!! PLEASE!!!
Cranzer

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Jan 10, 2013
What is this giant gecko,, a nuclear reactor? No toxic bite. Maybe venomous, but not TOXIC, lol.
PredatorAPEX1

Pasco, WA

#17 Jan 11, 2013
Toxic.I meant to say venomous.
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#18 Jan 11, 2013
This giant lizard, Megalania, was 2x the size if the modern Komodo dragon. That is big!!! Megalania was a carnivore, means that it ate meat. Megalania had a strong bite, able to crush a toilet. It ate marsupials. It weighed up to 2 tons. It didn't have a venomous bite but it's bite was toxic. It's smaller relative, the modern day Komodo dragon was much smaller. It is the 2nd biggest lizard. The biggest lizard is the tyrant king, t Rex. Here are comparisons.

Megalania: 2 tons, 9 feet

T Rex: 16 tons, 13 feet
reptile fan11111

Edmonton, Canada

#19 Jan 10, 2014

“Paleontology”

Since: Dec 13

Location hidden

#20 Jan 10, 2014
reptile fan11111 wrote:
But recent studies show Komodo Dragons do have venomous bites. It has long been theorized Komodo Dragons killed prey by biting them with a mouth full of bacteria to infect the wound and cause blood poisoning, which would likely lead to a slow death. Recent studies however show Komodos actually injected venom into their saliva which seeped into the animals open wound, giving Komodo Dragons a venomous bite. The venom would decrease the blood pressure. The decrease of blood pressure mixed with the blood loss and confusion would send the prey into shock, after that it's an easy kill. No doubt the bacteria could harm and kill the prey animals but the victim would have likely died from the venom first.

With nothing left but fossils we must use our background knowledge to speculate on how prehistoric cousins lived and hunted. In this case we look into the habits and attack methods of the modern Komodo Dragonsto to compare how its cousin Magalania, 35,000 years ago, would have hunted and killed. I have no doubt in believing that Megalania had a venomous bite just like its modern cousins, the Komodo Dragons.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
prehistoric smackdown!! 23 min tyrannospinus 10
Which Godzilla do you like best? (May '09) 30 min tyrannospinus 14
kaiju arena of doom and-friendship!? 4 hr zilla jr 1
Spinosaurus beating T.Rex in Jurassic Park 3 wa... (Mar '13) 5 hr jurassicfan11 33
Spinosaurus vs. t-rex (Dec '07) Sep 17 Jinfengopteryx 5,714
Jakesaurus Imperator Vs T rex Sep 16 Mr Bloodwing 16
Ethan Dino is back! (Jun '09) Sep 16 Ethan Dino2 25
•••

Dinosaur People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••