Carchorodontosaurus is bigger than gi...

Carchorodontosaurus is bigger than giganotosaurus

Posted in the Dinosaur Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#1 Jan 10, 2013
Told ya people Carch is the second largest dino
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

“BOOMER WILL LIVE”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 11, 2013
Aside from the fact that chart deals with theropods rather than dinosaurs as a whle, Matt Martyniuk's models were weird even when they were up-to-date.
Essentially, we don't know how big Carcharodontosaurus was.

An 11.5 meter Acrocanthosaurus has a 129cm skull.
A 12.2 meter Giganotosaurus has a 160cm skull.

Carcharodontosaurus saharicus has a 142cm skull. It was previously thought to have a 160cm skull and was at the time estimated by Mickey Morimer to be 12.8 meters long.

Based on that old estimate, Carcharodontosaurus is now 11.4 meters long.
Based on Acrocanthosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus would be 12.7 meters long.
Based on Giganotosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus would be 10.8 meters long.
Mean length of above estimates = 11.6 meters long. Near-identcal to Acrocanthosaurus and smaller than Giganotosaurus, albeit not significantly.

Having said that, the largest Mapusaurus specimen is a large 86cm fibula with total length estimated at 12.6 meters. The Carcharodontosaurus holotype - which is smaller than the 142cm skull SGM Din-1 - had a fibula 88cm long, for 12.9 meters total length based on said Mapusaurus. This bumps the mean est. length to 11.9 meters long.

Basically, it might be longer than Giganotosaurus, it might not. And even if it is, it may not be actually larger. It is, however, probaby similar in size to either Giganotosaurus or Acrocanthosaurus.

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#3 Jan 11, 2013
biggest carnivorous dinosaurs rounded off to the closest metre

1. Spinosaurus(17m)
2.Carchorodontosaurs(13m)Sligh tly larger than giga
3.Giganotosaurus(13m)
4.Tyrannosaurus rex(12m)Slightly larger than other giant theropods taking 4th largest

“BOOMER WILL LIVE”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#4 Jan 11, 2013
17 rounded to 17 - fair enough.

11.9 rounding to 13 is completely illogical, and even more so when put ahead of the 12.2 one that is also illogically rounded to 13.
12.3 doesnt round to 13 either and is also last bizarely.

Going by your logic of rounding to the nearest meter:

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus 17m
Deinochierus mirificus 14m (as Andrea Cau estimated it a few years back)
Mapusaurus rosaea 13m (runded from 12.6)
Spinosaurus moroccanus 13m (like I said on IP, it is looking like its skull is longer than that of Oxalaia)
Oxalaia quilombensis 13m

With Carcharodontosaurus (12m) not even featured...

“Australia's #1 Paleontologist”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#5 Jan 11, 2013
I like to think of Carch as 13m, but the short answer basically is that we can't know for sure until a lot more complete or near-complete specimens are found. Based on the fragments that we have, no estimate is going to be very certain.

Sucks doesn't it. Although having said that, given Carcharodontosaurus' bone rarity- i have a complete and REAL 7 inch tall caudal vertebra from a Carcharodontosaurus. Should be in a museum :D

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#6 Jan 11, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
I like to think of Carch as 13m, but the short answer basically is that we can't know for sure until a lot more complete or near-complete specimens are found. Based on the fragments that we have, no estimate is going to be very certain.
Sucks doesn't it. Although having said that, given Carcharodontosaurus' bone rarity- i have a complete and REAL 7 inch tall caudal vertebra from a Carcharodontosaurus. Should be in a museum :D
I actually think carch is one of the least known dinosaurs. I think he should be in the next Jurassic park movie. And square off against a T. rex or even a Giga

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#7 Jan 11, 2013
JP should actually start featuring new stars( new dino's) in each new movie they make since, part 4 is coming out in April 2014
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#8 Jan 11, 2013
Having trouble, guys? T Rex may be longer than both giganotosaurus and cacharodontosaurus. Well, this may help you. And wait.....don't say I am dumb. You may not believe this but I am putting t Rex in 2nd place. Don't say anything about that.

7. Saurophaganax, 9 feet 5 tons

6. Mapusaurus, 9 feet 8 tons

5. Oxalia, 13 feet 10 tons

4. Giganotosaurus, 13 feet 13 tons

3. Cacharodontosaurus, 13 feet 14 tons

2. T Rex, 13 feet 16 tons

1. Spinosaurus, 20 feet 16 tons

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#9 Jan 11, 2013
My opinion(biggest and heaviest dino's)

5.Mapusaurus 12m, 7t
4.T. rex, 12m, 7t(slightly bigger and heavier than mapusaurus)

3.Giganotosaurus, 13m, 8t
2.Carchorodontosaurus, 13m, 12t(slightly larger than giga)
1.Spinosaurus 17m, 6t
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jan 11, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
My opinion(biggest and heaviest dino's)
5.Mapusaurus 12m, 7t
4.T. rex, 12m, 7t(slightly bigger and heavier than mapusaurus)
3.Giganotosaurus, 13m, 8t
2.Carchorodontosaurus, 13m, 12t(slightly larger than giga)
1.Spinosaurus 17m, 6t
that's all right. It may be not my opinion, but I am glad you respected my opinion.
Edaphosaurus

Belvedere, UK

#11 Jan 11, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
Arrr!!! Ye fossil cowboy you!!! Buyin' fossils like dat!!!

I joke, your fossils probably come from a reliable, legal source. And if you become a Paleontologist I'm sure you could do research with it
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jan 11, 2013
Edaphosaurus wrote:
<quoted text>
I joke, your fossils probably come from a reliable, legal source. And if you become a Paleontologist I'm sure you could do research with it
every fossil is fragile. You forgot to add fragile.

Location hidden

#13 Jan 11, 2013
Edaphosaurus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah it's legal :D and appears to have some kind of bite mark on one side, evidence of a clash with Spino??? Hmmmm....
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jan 11, 2013
Paleoworld101, you mean teeth marks? One time a paleontologist found some teeth marks on brontosaurus.(don't call it apatosaurus.) the teeth marks were teeth of a allosaurus. That means a long time ago in the Jurassic period, allosaurus ate a brontosaurus!!! Bet your not too smart to know that, huh?

“In God we trust”

Cape Town, South Africa

#15 Jan 12, 2013
It's illegal to find and keep a dinosaur fossil, unless your a paleontologist.
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#16 Jan 12, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
I know. But I bet the police won't know.

Location hidden

#17 Jan 12, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
Wrong. I am going to the Isle Of Wight in England to look for dinosaur bones at the end of this year, and any finds can be taken home and are perfectly legal. Of course it depends on the spcific countries laws but the way you said it implied that finding a dinosaur bone and taking it home in ANY country is illegal. Which is not the case.

And i haven't found any of my dinosaur fossils so far, they were exported from the origin country and sold legally by liscensed fossil dealers.
Rexby

Honolulu, HI

#18 Jan 12, 2013
LOL
Edaphosaurus

Belvedere, UK

#19 Jan 12, 2013
Paleoworld-101 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. I am going to the Isle Of Wight in England to look for dinosaur bones at the end of this year, and any finds can be taken home and are perfectly legal. Of course it depends on the spcific countries laws but the way you said it implied that finding a dinosaur bone and taking it home in ANY country is illegal. Which is not the case.
And i haven't found any of my dinosaur fossils so far, they were exported from the origin country and sold legally by liscensed fossil dealers.
I wouldn't bet on finding any dinos. I went on a fossil hunt on the isle of white and all I got was some rocks.

Lyme Regis is a better fossil site, though even then I didn't find any dinosaurs. Then again, I found bits of Ichthyosaurus and some Coprolite

Location hidden

#20 Jan 12, 2013
Edaphosaurus wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't bet on finding any dinos. I went on a fossil hunt on the isle of white and all I got was some rocks.
Lyme Regis is a better fossil site, though even then I didn't find any dinosaurs. Then again, I found bits of Ichthyosaurus and some Coprolite
Yeah, i'm not expecting to find any complete bones or anything but ive read that small rolled bone fragments are common.

I'm gonna stay at Lyme Regis for a few days, i really really just wanna find some kind of Marine Reptile bone fragment, small Ichthyosaurus vertebrae seem to be the most common. Finding one of them is my goal. What are my chances of finding an Ichthyosaurus vert if i spend literally 10 hours fossil hunting there? My family will help in the search so its 4 pairs of eyes searching for the price of 1. All of their finds go to me :D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinosaur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spinosaurus would easily beat T rex in a fight (Jun '14) 3 hr AllosaurWarfare 409
Animal vs Dinosaur 7 hr Franky 1
Spinosaurus vs Lion Tue Franky 1
Discord vs Alduin Tue Franky 1
Orca vs Donkey Tue Franky 1
Tiger vs Deinonychus Tue Franky 1
Gorosaurus vs Elephant Tue Franky 1
More from around the web