Randy Pausch dies

Randy Pausch dies

There are 84 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 25, 2008, titled Randy Pausch dies. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

He was 47. Pausch died early Friday at his home in Virginia, university spokeswoman Anne Watzman said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Overland Park, KS

#23 Jul 25, 2008
i watched part of that video on youtube. dying is sad. living can be even sadder. i hope i achieve everything i dream of.
Sick and Tired

Monee, IL

#24 Jul 25, 2008
Now THIS is what a role model is!

God bless Dr. Pausch and his family.

United States

#25 Jul 25, 2008
mark wrote:
i watched part of that video on youtube. dying is sad. living can be even sadder. i hope i achieve everything i dream of.

I totally agree!!!! I hope the same for myself. He definitely inspired me.
Don Wills

Polson, MT

#26 Jul 25, 2008
Just watched the entire 1 hour 16 minute Last Lecture on YouTube. Wow! I highly recommend everyone to take the time to watch it without interruption.

Des Plaines, IL

#27 Jul 25, 2008
I am reading the book now. This is sad. How remarkable to think none of us would have been touched by this man's words/life if he had not been diagnosed with this horrible illness.
MJP Mundelein

Plano, TX

#28 Jul 25, 2008
To hear him speak was an inspiration. I purchased his book, but have not read it yet. I will defintely have to read it this weekend. Let's all hope we can live our lives as he suggests.

Schaumburg, IL

#29 Jul 25, 2008
Dr. Pausch was so young yet he left his mark on this world. He was courageous and positive until the very end. He is a true inspiration to many. His speech reminded me to be "Thankful to God" for all that we have. My heart goes out to his family and friends. May God bless him and his loved ones now and always.

Dyer, IN

#30 Jul 25, 2008
His life was cut short, but he has touched so many.

-Kevin, CMU E'96
You Are a Racist Subhuman

Warsaw, IN

#31 Jul 25, 2008
May he rest in eternal peace. He was a good human being; a remarkable trait in a world when it's much easier to be a bad human being. Thanks, Randy.

Wheaton, IL

#32 Jul 25, 2008
He will be missed. An inpiration to us all.

Northbrook, IL

#33 Jul 25, 2008
The world has lost a very good man. His book and last lecture video should be required reading/viewing for every single person alive. The world would then be a better place if we could all live with the same perspective that he showed, even in the face of death. He has been an inspiration to myself and I'm sure the millions of others that know his story. My heartfelt condolences to his entire family, and the many people who are blessed to have known this great man.
E Smith

Franklin, TN

#35 Jul 25, 2008
While this is very sad news, Mr Pausch will live on with his words and will hopefully make more Tiggers in the world. He has truly been an inspiration to me. I have bought many copies of his book to give as gifts to people who need to either be inspired or become less of an Eeyore. I know he is in a better place where there is no suffering or pain! EVERYBODY needs to either watch his lecture or read the book. This world would be a much better place if everyone was a Tigger. God Bless you and your family!
Barb Mungovan Koch

#36 Jul 25, 2008
Our deepest sympathies. My heart breaks for his family. Privileged and blessed to have him mentor, and teach my niece at CMU,and pave a path to Disney. He was/remains one phenomenal role model and inspiration. An old Irish sentiment is simply to say, "I am so sorry for your troubles."...so many of us are. Eternal rest grant unto him, Oh Lord, & May Your Perpetual Light shine upon him, May his soul rest in peace. We will keep him, his wife, and his beautiful family in our prayers.

Washington, DC

#37 Jul 25, 2008
The Family Guy wrote:
I can still remember how I felt when I viewed his "Last Lecture" online. Powerful. Inspiring. Hopeful. It still brings tears to my eyes and a lump into my throat. God bless Dr. Randy and his family.
That says it all. If you haven't seen "Last Lecture", do. It will change how you view living life.

United States

#38 Jul 25, 2008
We are all lucky to have this man's words captured forever in print and his lecture. Though he didn't list in his dreams "Change the World" - he did. His children will be so proud when they are able to watch his lecture. He is such an inspiration.

Pearl River, NY

#39 Jul 25, 2008
Rest in peace Randy :-(

Oshkosh, WI

#40 Jul 25, 2008
I first saw Dr. Pausch speak on Oprah and the proceeded to watch each and every minute of his last lecture. I then shared a short clip of it with one of my smaller classes. I wanted everyone to know what an inspiration he had been to me, and should be for others. It's true I never knew him in person, but his words inspire me to really live my life. You never know when your time will be, so enjoy life and never be afraid to chase your dreams. I'm sure he died with no regrets and his family must have such peace with the legacy he left behind.
joan chicago

Shorewood, IL

#41 Jul 25, 2008

Oak Forest, IL

#42 Jul 25, 2008
Rest in peace and thanks my brother

Elk Grove Village, IL

#44 Jul 25, 2008
It's great that we honor "survivors" of cancer with all of the stories of their heroic struggles, but we don't often honor the heroism of those that don't survive. They are even more heroic as many fought valiantly for their lives as the horrible reality of cancer got the better of them in the end. My sympathies are with the family. And I hope today we can honor all of those that lost their lives to cancer. They are ALL heroes in my book!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Computer Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CS Thesis Topics (Nov '08) Nov 21 jlap 107
News Delivering the Honeywell User Experience Throug... Nov 16 bob 1
News Toyota To Invest $1 Billion in Artificial Intel... Nov 8 Mr Doom 2
News Social and SEO Work Better Together (Mar '15) Oct 26 HippoAttacks 3
News Scholarship sees Oakville teen STEM into artifi... Oct '15 AND THE LACK OF 1
How to align Blogger header widget to center Oct '15 canny 1
News IU researchers lead $1.2 million effort to unlo... Sep '15 TW_sugar_daddio 6
More from around the web