More Graduates to Face Low Job Prospects - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Universities across the country are less than a month away from sending a new class of graduates out into the workforce to begin careers. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 10

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Apr 23, 2012
College is worth going. But with our current economic policies, there's not a lot of opportunity. Ironic since most college students will vote to keep those same policies in place in November. But when the progressives become disillusioned with "Hope and Change", our country will get back on its feet and a degree will be a huge advantage.
citizen

Moneta, VA

#2 Apr 23, 2012
They can always go back for a master's degree at CATEC.
alfred

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Apr 24, 2012
Didnt media tell us yesterday how great things were going? they just loving screwing with you people. No wonder certain people get elected
No Job Irregardless

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Apr 24, 2012
The person who is kind of like getting chose over him IS much better and it may have something to do with knowing English.
kiski

Bridgewater, VA

#5 Apr 24, 2012
No Job Irregardless wrote:
The person who is kind of like getting chose over him IS much better and it may have something to do with knowing English.
Some you clearly do NOT.
kiski

Bridgewater, VA

#6 Apr 24, 2012
*something
Overrated

Hopewell, VA

#7 Apr 24, 2012
College is overrated, sure getting post High School education is a good thing and folks with degree's generally are better off than those without (no matter how useless the major). That being said there is nothing more valuable than ACTUAL EXPERIENCE! Lets look at it this way, would you rather the pilot of the airliner you riding in have a fancy, expensive degree from Harvard and 300 hours of flight time, or a High School Diploma, a lifetime around aircraft and thousands of hours in the air?
A father

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Apr 24, 2012
Overrated wrote:
College is overrated, sure getting post High School education is a good thing and folks with degree's generally are better off than those without (no matter how useless the major). That being said there is nothing more valuable than ACTUAL EXPERIENCE! Lets look at it this way, would you rather the pilot of the airliner you riding in have a fancy, expensive degree from Harvard and 300 hours of flight time, or a High School Diploma, a lifetime around aircraft and thousands of hours in the air?
If some got a degree from Harvard and chose to be an airline pilot then they have other pressing issues.
No Job Irregardless

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Apr 24, 2012
kiski wrote:
*something
I don't believe you read the article verbatim.
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Apr 24, 2012
College is indeed the royal scam of the 21st Century. Many people need to go to college; many do not. The pols who say "we need to make college more affordable" neglect to note that applications are on the rise AND that the poor, in many cases, need to concentrate on getting out of high school before worrying about college. Pols--and their cohorts in academia--trumpet how everyone needs a college education. Let' see...people who DO NOT require four years of college to do their jobs well:
--Journalists
--Sales reps
--Accountants
--Nurses
I can go on and on. Two to three years of instruction would do fine for the above. When they're 26 and want that bachelor's degree, let them have at it.
Remember, the student getting that useless UVa English Lit degree pays the same as the person getting the Engineering degree. Maybe we should prorate tuition costs based on their marketability.

R.I.P.: Brad "The Beast" McCrimmon
why vote

Richmond, VA

#11 Apr 24, 2012
The quest for enlightenment should always be at the forefront of every one. Alas in this country that quest has been corrupted by capitalism. To equate an education with nothing more than a chance at a good job destroys the original intent of an educated mind to begin with. To aspire to nothing more than a good job is crass to say the least, moronic at beast. Obviously the proof of that is the condition this country finds itself in now.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#12 Apr 24, 2012
alfred wrote:
Didnt media tell us yesterday how great things were going? they just loving screwing with you people. No wonder certain people get elected
John Birch, is that you? Sometimes I think the JBSers are right, though. It's kind of bizzare if you look at who belongs to the CFR.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#13 Apr 24, 2012
Liberalace wrote:
College is indeed the royal scam of the 21st Century. Many people need to go to college; many do not. The pols who say "we need to make college more affordable" neglect to note that applications are on the rise AND that the poor, in many cases, need to concentrate on getting out of high school before worrying about college. Pols--and their cohorts in academia--trumpet how everyone needs a college education. Let' see...people who DO NOT require four years of college to do their jobs well:
--Journalists
--Sales reps
--Accountants
--Nurses
I can go on and on. Two to three years of instruction would do fine for the above. When they're 26 and want that bachelor's degree, let them have at it.
Remember, the student getting that useless UVa English Lit degree pays the same as the person getting the Engineering degree. Maybe we should prorate tuition costs based on their marketability.
R.I.P.: Brad "The Beast" McCrimmon
You're right ace, it has become that way. I don't agree with you often, but your attacks on "advanced education" is not without merit. I believe it all started with the privatization of the federally guaranteed student loans, since the the cost of tuition has tripled if not gone up higher. There is something intrinsically wrong with a for profit public school, think about it.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Apr 24, 2012
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
There is something intrinsically wrong with a for profit public school, think about it.
and health care
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#15 Apr 24, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
and health care
if it's public...

Whether it should or shouldn't be is a differnt matter debate.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#16 Apr 24, 2012
matter and debate
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Apr 24, 2012
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right ace, it has become that way. I don't agree with you often, but your attacks on "advanced education" is not without merit. I believe it all started with the privatization of the federally guaranteed student loans, since the the cost of tuition has tripled if not gone up higher. There is something intrinsically wrong with a for profit public school, think about it.
Also, the quest for the "next generation to have a better life" has been marketed to the middle- and middle-lower class quite well by academia in the past thirty years. Instead of teaching kids to find a passion early and stick with that passion, we have taught kids to slack, not worry because "you'll find something you like to do," and--of course--conduct that search for themselves in a four-year ivy-covered fantasy land at a hit of $20,000 per year. I teach my kids to find what you love to do, do your best at it, and everything else will fall into place. It's the passion that is missing...but almost all success stories began with passion and pursuit of that love, whether it is an electrician, plumber (aghast!), police officer, attorney, author or artist.

Remember folks, "passion is no ordinary word!"

R.I.P.: Benny Hill
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Apr 24, 2012
We all should promote a college education for all kids for no other reason than to become better aware of the world we live in. Getting a better education just to get a better job is dumb.
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Apr 24, 2012
The latest stat is 1 in 4 college grads are finding work in their chosen field. And the politicians care how?
Paula Dorns

New York, NY

#20 Apr 24, 2012
Alot of college graduates are going overseas to work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Computer Science Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Web inventor says Internet should be 'human right' Dec 11 Kid_Tomorrow 1
When Fashion Meets Tech In China Dec 10 New Chihna 1
Inventor of the Web wanted to call websites 'ps... Dec 10 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Trends to Watch in 2015: From Algorithmic Accou... Dec 9 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Why Robots Won't Take Over the World Anytime Soon Dec 9 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Mechanical Insects Evolve The Ability To Fly Th... Dec 7 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Stephen Hawking warns Terminator-style artifici... Dec 4 SpaceBlues 1
More from around the web