Monday Newsmaker: Caltrans region has new director

There are 2 comments on the The Desert Sun story from Jul 30, 2012, titled Monday Newsmaker: Caltrans region has new director. In it, The Desert Sun reports that:

Basem Muallem is the new director of the Caltrans' District 8, which covers Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Desert Sun.

Ed Ortiz

AOL

#1 Jul 31, 2012
Hopefully this Man can manage the transition of Caltrans to a Private Company rather than a Public Expense. CA just can't afford any more outrageiously expensive public employee bonanazas.

We must privatize as much as possible of we will make Greece look like a financially stable Country.
CivEnviro Engr

Calabasas, CA

#2 Aug 5, 2012
Interestingly enough, CALTRANS has a great worldwide reputation. I'm a private environmental engineer, but I can remember from my college days how our text books (written and published out of state)would always mention Caltrans did this, Caltrans did that, or mention some bit of research, where at the bottom in small print you would see that it was done by Caltrans.

A professor mentioned that other states use the Caltrans manuals as their own, or direct there people to a Caltrans manual, and that even various countries would order the Caltrans manuals, change the name to "Zimbabwe" DOT, and smile.

From someone who has worked in five states and various countries (I chase the highest paying jobs, don't care where it's at), it seems that every place hates its own DOT. Most people just know that they are trying to get from point A to point B, and these people are slowing them down.

DOTs...you do a great job, but wouldn't wanna be ya!

Peace out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Civil Engineering Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Super Structures Apr '15 will roads be clo... 1
News fathers Day (Jun '14) Apr '15 Faridmuti 5
News Largest civil engineering project in Europe get... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Ray 1
News Vietnam Infrastructure Report Q1 2014: New rese... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Mas Amor 3
News Steel from collapsed Minn. bridge to be released (Jul '13) Jul '13 Grim Reaper 1
News Reborn Nigeria train trip tells nation's history (Apr '13) Apr '13 Ademola peter 2
this has to be my favourite plane (Feb '13) Feb '13 puffyhypocrite7 1
More from around the web