Skin cells made to mimic embryonic st...

Skin cells made to mimic embryonic stem cells

There are 3 comments on the The Philadelphia Inquirer story from Nov 25, 2007, titled Skin cells made to mimic embryonic stem cells. In it, The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that:

“It's a very highly promising strategy and really affects the ethical landscape dramatically. It may help to steer the entire field of stem cell research in a more ethical direction by circumventing the...destroying of human embryos.”

Mouse cells are shown in undated photo released by Prof. Shinya Yamanaka of Kyoto University's Department of Stem Cell Biology. via The Philadelphia Inquirer

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Since: Dec 05

Irvington, NJ

#1 Nov 26, 2007
Second Generation Embryonic Stem Cell Technology

Stem cells will be able to be created using a "second generation" embryonic stem cell technology. Take an adult skin cell, introduce a small number of genes which direct the "committed" adult skin cell to revert all the way back to an embryonic stem cell.

The technology was first developed/reported in Japan. It's was independently confirmed at Harvard because they've got a lot of private money to do the work. Initial work had been done with mouse embryonic stem cells and mouse skin cells "turned back" to embryonic stem cells.

It is hardly a remarkable event. All cells from a single individual have the same DNA. It's only a matter of controlling which part of the total DNA is active. There is no reason a cell can't be reprogrammed to return to precisely the state it was in which it was a primitive embryonic stem cell or the original stem cell - the fertilized egg itself.

No matter how anyone wants to interpret it, this "second generation" technology embryonic stem cell would have the same genetic material and the same capabilities as the "first generation" technology embryonic stem cell. The cells are created by going backwards, introducing a handful of gene to reprogram the DNA of an adult cell, so that the cell reverts back to the state of a newly fertilized egg.

It would be the same cell as it was at the time it was a newly fertilized egg. It would genetically be an identical twin, a clone of the originial fertilized egg. In every sense of the word, it has the same potential for developing into a baby.

In terms of them being 100% identical, save for the 4 extraneous genes introduced to turn the non-pluripotent skin (somatic) cell back into a true embryonic stem cell, these genes would either silence themselves spontaneously or could be silenced using already available technology like RNA interference.

Make no mistake about it, this is Second Generation Embryonic Stem Cell Technology, a Genie that has forever escaped from the bottle.

“Transitional Molecular Fossils”

Since: Dec 06

Somewhere in Penn's Woods

#2 Nov 28, 2007
The remarkable event in my mind would be to finally find a safe vector, one that does not cause irreparable harm, mutations.
klulkblukbkb

Mascouche, Canada

#3 Feb 1, 2012
on the tracks after being derailed. I mean seriously, who is going to listen anymore? How many investors besides myself have lost their life savings since 23 years ago?
The numbers must be staggering. Yet nstk continues to exist, management still gets paid and they all get to collect their monthly selling options.
And we're supposed to worry about terrorists?
The little guy, the investor, the make up of America, are always the victims. I served my country, went to Viet Nam, survived, to come back to another world of daily survival. Trying to make a living, paying Taxes, trying to raise children, and face the daily barrage of fire from all ends, just to survive. This is my opinion and personal frustration, and more than likely this will never be poston the tracks after being derailed. I mean seriously, who is going to listen anymore? How many investors besides myself have lost their life savings since 23 years ago?
The numbers must be staggering. Yet nstk continues to exist, management still gets paid and they all get to collect their monthly selling options.
The little guy, the investor, the make up of America, are always the victims. I served my country, went to Viet Nam, survived, to come back to another world of daily survival. Trying to make a living, paying Taxes, trying to raise children, and face the daily barrage of fire from all ends, just to survive. This is my opinion and personal frustration, and more than likely this will never be poston the tracks after being derailed. I mean seriously, who is going to listen anymore? How many investors besides myself have lost their life savings since 23 years ago?
The little guy, the investor, the make up of America, are always the victims. I served my country, went to Viet Nam, survived, to come back to another world of daily survival. Trying to make a living, paying Taxes, trying to raise children, and face the daily barrage of fire from all ends, just to survive. This is my opinion and personal frustration, and more than likely this will never be post

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cell Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News State ed board reins in science standards hinti... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Subduction Zone 5
News Celltex Therapeutics Corporation Autologous Ste... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Lizardlover 1
Carbon (Feb '17) Feb '17 misbehaved 1
News Postdoc Positions in Cell Biology and Molecular... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Cells' Garbage Disposal May Hold Key to Healthi... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Columbia researchers find way to reawaken poten... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Tight DNA packaging protects against 'jumping g... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 2
More from around the web