Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221487 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

LowellGuy

United States

#31082 Jun 18, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
All around you, in every life of every true believer.
I can't speak for my sisters and brothers in Jesus Christ but I know His voice. Though sometimes I don't listen to HIm like I should.
John 10:27
New King James Version (NKJV)
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
Proof that cannot be demonstrated is not proof.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#31083 Jun 18, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is ALIVE!!!!
Zombies are dead...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#31084 Jun 18, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the first one IS the Christian. We have confidence in and trust in God through Jesus with and by Holy Spirit.
Except, of course, there is no evidence for the existence of any of these...meaning that definition (1) DOES NOT apply.

Confidence in beings that can not be shown to exist puts that into definition (2) or (3)...belief in things without evidence.

Sorry, but you lose on this one.
FREE SERVANT
#31085 Jun 18, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
No one, with any knowledge of science, confuses theory with fact! That's silly!
Theory explains factual things.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

#31086 Jun 18, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Theory explains factual things.
You should explain that to Langoliers.
FREE SERVANT
#31087 Jun 18, 2012
One important aspect of a theory is that it should make factual predictions. If we were to use SCP theory as an example, we could take the statement that "all natural systems will cycle if they are functioning" to be a prediction of a group of facts related to the phenomena related to how systems work. Now, if all methods of analysis lead us to accept this statement as a factual explanation of true principles, then we have a strong theory.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#31088 Jun 18, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the first one IS the Christian. We have confidence in and trust in God through Jesus with and by Holy Spirit.
Which you assume exist becaus eyou got tired of thinking.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#31091 Jun 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Nailed?
What?
There have been many posters saying that evolution is fact on these threads Mike!
Langs is very spot on.
Which posters were those and in which posts?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#31096 Jun 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
First off.
The Dude wrote: Life IS here. Life evolves. Facts
Life does evolve. Do you have an answer of why life evolves in specific ways and how evolution happens?

Evolutionary biologists do.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#31097 Jun 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Nailed?
What?
There have been many posters saying that evolution is fact on these threads Mike!
Langs is very spot on.
Spot on what? The rug?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#31099 Jun 18, 2012
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Theory explains factual things.
Very true. We know that this and that are facts and here is the theory on how and why. With new knowledge, the theories are corrected. Belivers self correct too! First, the universe was created in six days and the Earth was in the center. After 3,000 yeaars or so of hearing that story, science figured out that the Earth was not in the center. 500 years of science telling people the truth, the churches admitted to that fact. 150 year or so of science telling the world that the universe was much older than the Earth and the the Earth was billions of years old, most churches changed Genesis from 6 days as we know it to 6 god days, which we cannot know the conversion rate between his days and ours. But they do agree with science that the universe is much older than the bible claims.

Beleivers are slow, but they eventually accept the facts that science teaches.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#31101 Jun 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I have seen like dozens of time that the scicooooos have posted that evolution is fact.
Evolution is fact and the Theory of Evolution is a theory; learn the difference.

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#31103 Jun 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
First off.
The Dude wrote: Life IS here. Life evolves. Facts
So, you dispute that life exists?
Or you dispute that life reproduces?
Or you dispute that change happens?

What exactly is your completely indefensible position?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#31104 Jun 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
It can be taught look up the ruling!
It states that you can not force it to be taught.
Please name one technology that creationism came up with.

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#31105 Jun 18, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Please name one technology that creationism came up with.
$100 says his response will be a list of scientists/engineers who invented things using science but who also predate Darwin and are therefore "creationists".

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#31106 Jun 18, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is just a few listed here in the first few pages and one current.
Sheik Yerbouri: wrote
I want my grandchildren to be taught scientific FACTS in school
The Dude: wrote
If evolution is "only" a theory then gravity is "only" a theory. The germ theory of disease is "only" a theory.
The Dude: wrote
Life began. So in order to claim evolution does not happen, you need to demonstrate that life is in fact NOT here.
The Dude: wrote
The beginning of life is irrelevant to the validity of evolution. Life is here. Life evolves. Facts.
The Blacksheep: wrote
Evolution is fact and the Theory of Evolution is a theory; learn the difference.
Where do new strains of flu come from?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#31107 Jun 19, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is just a few listed here in the first few pages and one current.
Sheik Yerbouri: wrote
I want my grandchildren to be taught scientific FACTS in school
The Dude: wrote
If evolution is "only" a theory then gravity is "only" a theory. The germ theory of disease is "only" a theory.
The Dude: wrote
Life began. So in order to claim evolution does not happen, you need to demonstrate that life is in fact NOT here.
The Dude: wrote
The beginning of life is irrelevant to the validity of evolution. Life is here. Life evolves. Facts.
The Blacksheep: wrote
Evolution is fact and the Theory of Evolution is a theory; learn the difference.
Why are you refusing to learn anything?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#31108 Jun 19, 2012
Can you answer some very simple questions?1. Is jesus god?2. Did jesus die on the cross?3. Is jesus alive now?4. Is jesus' mission complete? Has he done all that he was meant to do?5. Are there humans, of former humans, in heaven or does everyone have to wait until judgment day?6. If there are some in heaven, some in hell, and some that are waiting to be judged; what is the criteria for being judged and sent to your eternal reward while others wait?7. What was god doing during the great battle of the angles?8. Some say that good could not exist without evil; when god was alone, was he evil too?9. Why did god create evil, or has it always existed?10. Can we believe the bible when it tells us that the Earth is only about 6,000 years old?

“Maccullochella macquariensis”

Since: May 08

Melbourne, Australia

#31109 Jun 19, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Can you answer some very simple questions?1. Is jesus god?2. Did jesus die on the cross?3. Is jesus alive now?4. Is jesus' mission complete? Has he done all that he was meant to do?5. Are there humans, of former humans, in heaven or does everyone have to wait until judgment day?6. If there are some in heaven, some in hell, and some that are waiting to be judged; what is the criteria for being judged and sent to your eternal reward while others wait?7. What was god doing during the great battle of the angles?8. Some say that good could not exist without evil; when god was alone, was he evil too?9. Why did god create evil, or has it always existed?10. Can we believe the bible when it tells us that the Earth is only about 6,000 years old?
1. No
2. Maybe
3. No
4. What mission? Meant to do by whom?
5. No
6. Heaven does not exist, so the question is meaningless
7. Nothing - a non-existant entity can't do anything during an event that never happened
8. A non-existant entity is neither good nor evil by any objective measure, question is meaningless
9. She didn't, evil is a human concept: it has only existed since humans invented it
10. No

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#31110 Jun 19, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be redefining zombie. Zombies aren't alive.
Neither is Jesus
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
But...it was His death on the cross that won the victory for us. All of humanity. We just need to accept His gift...
What about Ra, giving us sunlight? Or Thor, giving us Thunder? Or Hapi, giving us the Nile River? Or Allah, giving us 72 virgins? Or Venus for giving us love? Or Mars, giving us war? Or Neptune, the god of the ocean?

There is absolutely no difference between those outdated mythologies and *your* outdated mythology. At the end of the day, you just have an imaginary friend with a different name, with different imaginary powers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vaccine zealot Paul Offit claims children can b... May 28 VACCINES MAIM KILL 2
News Defending the Faith: Intelligent design vs. 'Go... May 25 Dogen 1,971
News Trial Underway to Provide Scientific Validity o... May '17 Cammie S 2
News Schizophrenia is eight different diseases, not one (Sep '14) May '17 HumanSpirit 19
News An ocean of possibilities through co-op May '17 MeanWhile 1
Sex May '17 Heterogenic 1
News Bill Nye goes Full Lunatic with vulgar transgen... Apr '17 TerriB1 1
More from around the web