Evolution supported by the evidence

Full story: NewsTimes.com 81
As a science educator, I must respond to Kelly Burgoon . Creationism has a place in an English classroom during the study of mythology. Full Story
Jiminey Cricket

Meriden, CT

#42 Mar 9, 2008
Mark Lofgren wrote:
<quoted text>
If this really happened, I wouldn't credit it to the God of the Bible. However, He tells us that He has allowed Satan to break the barrier of the super natural in order to deceive unbelievers. God has no purpose in the paranormal anymore. If you want the truth and His purpose, you have to look in His word the Bible. Not in jars of quarters.
I hope this helps you.
Mark
Well, then perhaps you no longer believe in God, nor angels.
Mark Lofgren

Monroe, CT

#43 Mar 9, 2008
Jiminey Cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
Many great works, not just "the bible" also tell the story of creation and man's evolution.
You reference too much on the new testament and while lovely, I find it more of a form of Christian paradolia.
God also sent "manna from heaven" at one point, no?
Not to be rude, but Jesus, is only one of God's children.
Yes God sent manna from heaven. That is written about in the book of Exodus. Jesus claims in John 6 that He is the manna that came down from heaven.
God is actually still giving man this manna, but not for much longer.

Yes God has many children. All those that are born again become adopted into His family; which is the Kingdom of God.

4 "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ." (Galatians 4:4-7)
Jiminey Cricket

Meriden, CT

#44 Mar 9, 2008
Mark Lofgren wrote:
<quoted text>
If this really happened, I wouldn't credit it to the God of the Bible. However, He tells us that He has allowed Satan to break the barrier of the super natural in order to deceive unbelievers. God has no purpose in the paranormal anymore. If you want the truth and His purpose, you have to look in His word the Bible. Not in jars of quarters.
I hope this helps you.
Mark
So, God who created everything, obviously also created Satan.

Then God allowed Satan to harrass Adam and Eve and force them to make the wrong choice on purpose?

So the way you explain it is that God, is just messing with our minds all this time?

And if we don't choose the bible then we lose?
bethelite

Danbury, CT

#45 Mar 9, 2008
If there is one source for everything, only one, both good and evil are "its" emanations. There is no "counter-G-d" set up in opposition. O could read about divine sparks in the kabbalistic tree of life, which has at it's top one and only one source which divided itself into three pillars of Strength, Beauty and Wisdom. You could call one side Yin, the other side Yang and the middle path that balance or equilibrium from which all things align.

As far as the Gospels go, they are men's words claimed as from G-d. No matter what you choose to believe, people were intermediaries, Mark. I don't accept those as more than what people perceived.
AreYouKiddingMe

Gloucester, MA

#46 Mar 9, 2008
Mark, while I respect that you are both a religious and learned man, I feel that you may be losing sight. I will not post anything further, because I NEVER purport to educate others about religion - or care to hear their arguments. My relationship is between God and myself, not you and I - or a bunch of bloggers.

But it couldn't hurt for you to keep this in mind: Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18...

....When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your father who sees in secret will repay you. When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you...
Mark Lofgren

Monroe, CT

#47 Mar 9, 2008
AreYouKiddingMe wrote:
Mark, while I respect that you are both a religious and learned man, I feel that you may be losing sight. I will not post anything further, because I NEVER purport to educate others about religion - or care to hear their arguments. My relationship is between God and myself, not you and I - or a bunch of bloggers.
But it couldn't hurt for you to keep this in mind: Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18...

....When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your father who sees in secret will repay you. When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you...
Thanks for your good intentions and advice. The quote from Mt. is sound advice and truth. Please allow me to share one with you:
Romans 10:
13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

May God richly bless you.
Mark
Mark Lofgren

Monroe, CT

#48 Mar 9, 2008
Jiminey Cricket wrote:
<quoted text>
So, God who created everything, obviously also created Satan.
Then God allowed Satan to harrass Adam and Eve and force them to make the wrong choice on purpose?
So the way you explain it is that God, is just messing with our minds all this time?
And if we don't choose the bible then we lose?
First of all Jiminy, we have to understand that the God of the Bible, who is the creator of the universe; is a holy God. Because of man's sin, he is seperated from God. Our rebellion to God's commandments is sin. Because of the sin of Adam, we are all born into sin. Not one of us is righteous on our own.
But wonderfully; God gave us a WAY that we might be able to be with Him for eternity. The WAY is not earned nor merited by any good works of ours, because for all our good works we will still fall short of the Glory of God. So He gave us His son Jesus, who was Himself holy and righteous and without sin; to be an atonement for the sins of those He came to save. Christ paid the wages of the sins of God's elect by His substitutionary death on the cross and spending an equivelent to an eternity in Hell in our place.

To be cont.
Mark Lofgren

Monroe, CT

#49 Mar 9, 2008
...Cont. from above...

We can spend all the time of our lives in the Bible but it doesn't mean God is going to save us if we do. The word of God is the environment or means by which faith comes to those God chooses to save. If your name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life, then Christ paid for everyone of your dirty rotten sins; and at the appointed time of God's timetable, He will quicken you or make you born again (spiritualy, through His word) so that you have a brand new resurrected soul which does not want to sin any more.
"It is by grace that ye are saved, through faith (Christ), and that not of yourselves; but it is a gift of God. Not of works lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:8-10)

The barometer or measure by which we can know that we are a child of God is found in the Bible and is our desire and ability to understand and obey the commandments written theirin.

May you have this earnest desire to seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness.
Repent; for the Kingdom of God is at hand.
Religionist

United States

#50 Mar 11, 2008
Mark Lofgren wrote:
...Cont. from above...
We can spend all the time of our lives in the Bible but it doesn't mean God is going to save us if we do. The word of God is the environment or means by which faith comes to those God chooses to save. If your name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life, then Christ paid for everyone of your dirty rotten sins; and at the appointed time of God's timetable, He will quicken you or make you born again (spiritualy, through His word) so that you have a brand new resurrected soul which does not want to sin any more.
"It is by grace that ye are saved, through faith (Christ), and that not of yourselves; but it is a gift of God. Not of works lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:8-10)
The barometer or measure by which we can know that we are a child of God is found in the Bible and is our desire and ability to understand and obey the commandments written theirin.
May you have this earnest desire to seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness.
Repent; for the Kingdom of God is at hand.
Wow, you're pretty harsh on people.
Yosemite Sam

East Berlin, CT

#51 Mar 12, 2008
I see more proof that life evolves than I EVER have seen any proof that "god" exists.

People who believe in fairy tales like "gods" always have their heads in the sand when it comes to the verifiable truth like evolution. Since most people who believe in "gods" have barely a high school education to start with, it's only reasonable for them to be unable to understand higher concepts such as evolution, even though there are millions of fossils available to prove that it happened.

I have yet to see anyone who believes in fairy tale "gods" PROVE without a doubt that any of their "gods" actually exist. All these people have to show for their "proof" is a book which was written by MEN -- and they can't even be completely sure WHICH men, or when it was written, or even that the entire thing hasn't been completely made up out of some person's overactive imagination.
JayS

Somerville, MA

#52 Mar 12, 2008
Someone wrote:
<quoted text> This is an interesting topic... I personally am a creationist (I believe that God created the universe). From what I've studied, there isn't hardly any full-proof evidence for evolution. But there is plenty against it. I find it impossible to believe that such a perfect complex and symbiotic world could have come from an explosion that occured by chance.
Actually the evidence for evolution is overwhelming and is accepted as fact by the scientific community. Denial of the evidence is not proof of God or creation. In fact, there is not ONE iota of evidence to support a god or creation, and yet you buy that hook, line and sinker. Why are scientists the only ones responsible for providing evidence?
Charles Darwin

Germany

#53 Mar 12, 2008
Although there are some pretty convincing arguments for evolution, there are some obvious holes in the theory. Just take a look at the New York Giants defensive line- it's hard to imagine that any kind of evolution has taken place there. In fact I'm sure these savages are precisely similiar to their ancestors in appearance, behavior, and body odor. Perhaps cross-breeding with white women (which they all do) will help lift these @pes and their progeny out of the stone age.
huh

Danbury, CT

#54 Mar 12, 2008
what does not k-ill you makes you stronger... means whatever survival traits work lets offspring be produced. No offspring = extinction. Conditions change, what adapts has offspring, what does not = extinction. "evolution" is no more than that.

Whoever has kids wins. Who can't understand that?
CMA7412

Dallas, TX

#55 Mar 14, 2008
gotigres wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you just proved the author of the letter's point.
Hahahaha you're right. Why is it that so many people who attend church every Sunday can't speak or write correct English?
Yosemite Sam

East Berlin, CT

#56 Mar 15, 2008
CMA7412 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahaha you're right. Why is it that so many people who attend church every Sunday can't speak or write correct English?
Maybe because it has been proven over and over again that those who take religion literally are usually the least educated segment of society. Most of them haven't made it past high school - if they've made it THAT far.

It's a fact that the more educated the person, the less they believe in ANY organized religion.
Peedo

United States

#57 Mar 23, 2008
Yosemite Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe because it has been proven over and over again that those who take religion literally are usually the least educated segment of society. Most of them haven't made it past high school - if they've made it THAT far.
It's a fact that the more educated the person, the less they believe in ANY organized religion.
I have to agree, and go one step further. I think we should teach comparative religion in schools. This would have the effect of showing people the relationship of religion and superstition. Every religion thinks the other religion is superstitious or patently untrue.
How many christians believe allah rode a winged horse to heaven? But they think it's perfectly fine that jesus died and rose to heaven in 3 days. Only because their culture taught them it came from their parents bible.
Comparing these religions will expose them as ancient superstitions that have no place in modern science.

“BasicGenetics”

Since: Dec 07

Seattle

#58 Mar 25, 2008
Eventually the world will forget God.
Flying Spaghetti Monster

East Berlin, CT

#59 Mar 25, 2008
I think that all creationists should get last year's flu vaccine. Your doctor should ask you up front if you believe in evolution. If you don't, then there's no point in wasting the new one on you and saving you from an evolved strain of the virus. Last year's should do just fine.
Crackpot

East Berlin, CT

#60 Mar 25, 2008
Genetics4me wrote:
Eventually the world will forget God.
Well, since God is only man-made and doesn't actually exist, this shouldn't be a major problem now, should it?

Since: Mar 08

Fresno, CA

#61 Mar 26, 2008
Yosemite Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
True. I've got a Bachelors degree and believe in Evolution. Although I also dabble in Eastern religious studies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 13 min dirtclod 120,937
8 Mile Road is eight miles from where? Oct 17 Fred 1
Pena Adobe Park hosts monthly open house Oct 14 JPO 10
Parents' Perception of Teens' Experiences Are R... Oct 13 Gerald Vonberger 1
Schizophrenia is eight different diseases, not one Oct 11 Who 16
Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) Oct 1 Dogen 174,458
plant morphology and physiology Sep 30 rocel olayan 1

Biology People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE