What Genes Did We Lose to Become Human?

What Genes Did We Lose to Become Human?

There are 1065 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Jan 7, 2008, titled What Genes Did We Lose to Become Human?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

When we think of the genetic changes that had to take place during our evolutionary history, we typically think of changes that resulted in a gain of function, like genetic changes that resulted in a larger and more sophisticated brain.

In many cases however, we have lost genes in our evolutionary history, and some of those losses have been beneficial.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

First Prev
of 54
Next Last

“Got Science?”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 7, 2008
I guess I am not sure how losing the gene that prevents scurvy is helpful, though it would be interesting to know why other mammals kept it.
Pogo

United States

#2 Jan 7, 2008
One was the common sense gene.
Jeston

Newington, CT

#3 Jan 7, 2008
Pogo wrote:
One was the common sense gene.
LOL! that is one that we have lost recently.
smart man

Perry Point, MD

#4 Jan 7, 2008
anybody who believes this crap is dummer than dumd ,and has no brain
TO smart man

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Jan 7, 2008
Sounds like you are a believer.
kelmark

Auburn Hills, MI

#6 Jan 7, 2008
No'No'No' we lost the ape gene. well at least the lighter side of us did.
earthman

San Diego, CA

#7 Jan 7, 2008
Well...maybe some did. I see all kinds of apes driving around town with no common sense at all.

Besides, no one truly knows how genetics function anyway. It's all up to the genes and they ain't telling us squat!
wolfman48

Auburn Hills, MI

#8 Jan 7, 2008
to perfection damn you!!! to perfection!!! no matter how long it takes!!! oh sorry..got away from me there...next gills and maybe some feathers so we can fly to work,with gas prices and all...gills so we can swim across the oceans on vacation...and maybe telekinetic powers so we aint got to move from the couch to get a beer..
Disgusted

Utica, MI

#9 Jan 7, 2008
How is it that evolution is the only area of science (via biology) that thinks that something can IMprove moving forward in history?

Remember the second law of thermodynamics, anyone?

This isn't about thinking about what was "lost" or what was "gained" it's about thinking poorly... humanity is SUPERIOR because WE NEVER EVOLVED from anything... were intelligently designed!!!

Nevertheless, I think all those biologists trying to out-think an intelligent designer as a fool's errand, yet kinda cute! You know, like a child playing with diamonds thinking they're marbles.
Disgusted

Utica, MI

#10 Jan 7, 2008
earthman wrote:
Well...maybe some did. I see all kinds of apes driving around town with no common sense at all.
Besides, no one truly knows how genetics function anyway. It's all up to the genes and they ain't telling us squat!
While there's probably a lot of truth to the fact that no one truly knows how genes function, humanity doesn't have the foggiest clue about the FULL nature of what genes and/or do. Hence, the reason why trying to "create" life from the genome is INHERENTLY DANGEROUS!!!!

What are genes made up of? Nucleotides. What are nucleotides made up of?...you see, you can always find a smaller particle! When will we learn that the more we find out the more questions we'll have?!? While I don't think we should just acquiesce to "not knowing everything," neither do I think we should presume we know something when we don't know enough to ascertain what it is we're really working with.

Don't shelve your heart for your brain. The corollary is ALSO true: don't shelve your brain for your heart!(faith vs. reason, etc.)
Ajepa

El Paso, TX

#11 Jan 7, 2008
How do they know that the "lost" genes were ever there in the first place???
JEROME

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jan 7, 2008
Cash wrote:
I guess I am not sure how losing the gene that prevents scurvy is helpful, though it would be interesting to know why other mammals kept it.
If humans did indeed evolve from a lower life form, how grateful we should be that the Creator chooses to share his life with us.
Thetideisturning towards

Frankfort, IL

#13 Jan 7, 2008
How do they know that the "lost" genes were ever there in the first place???
JEROME
Jamaica, NY Reply ยป
|Report Abuse |#12 10 min ago
I think they found them in the "Dead Sea Scrolls"
Cyn

United States

#14 Jan 7, 2008
It is so weird to read that genes were lost found added interupted etc. etc. As for me and my house, we say we were wonderfuly made in the image of what Gods wanted us to be. Church is a nice learning place with a great set of directions to follow. We need to disreguard this whole humans evolved thing. You know while in Japan I was told that giraffes necks go so long because they streched to reach leaves in the tree as they ate their way upwards.(?) One teacher told my daughter we came from sea squirts, Can you see it, babies growing along the water lines feasting on fish, oh come on! God is in charge you will all find out one day and sad that will be for some!
Will Rogers

Cleveland, OH

#15 Jan 7, 2008
Levi's
Old Seadog

Tujunga, CA

#16 Jan 7, 2008
I don't think I've ever lost any jeans. My wife has lost a sock now and again in the laundry and once she lost a favorite tee shirt of mine. But jeans? No I don't think so. By the way, I noticed the funny way you spell jeans.

“Annoying Liberals Everywhere”

Since: May 07

Earth

#17 Jan 7, 2008
smart man wrote:
anybody who believes this crap is dummer than dumd ,and has no brain
Either you're a troll or you
desperately need the SPELLING gene.
John Baake

Alamogordo, NM

#18 Jan 7, 2008
Not surprising that human life starts with losing jeans. That's what led to my having 2 kids.
Amen Corner

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Jan 7, 2008
Disgusted wrote:
How is it that evolution is the only area of science (via biology) that thinks that something can IMprove moving forward in history?
Remember the second law of thermodynamics, anyone?
This isn't about thinking about what was "lost" or what was "gained" it's about thinking poorly... humanity is SUPERIOR because WE NEVER EVOLVED from anything... were intelligently designed!!!
Nevertheless, I think all those biologists trying to out-think an intelligent designer as a fool's errand, yet kinda cute! You know, like a child playing with diamonds thinking they're marbles.
Amen Brother!
Amen Corner

Schaumburg, IL

#20 Jan 7, 2008
The Bible clearly tells us that the earth is 6,000 years old. The first human beings lived hundreds of years and were larger and stronger. The earth's atmosphere had a much higher oxygen content which kept disease in check. As time has progressed, the oxygen content has been reduced thus allowing disease to increase. Thus the lifespan of man has decreased. Instead of progressing, mankind has been on the decline.

These evolution folks don't have a clue as to the real facts. Evolution is only a theory!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 54
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biochemistry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why the Air Force Wants to See Pilots' Sweat Sep 16 Stephany McDowell 3
News Temple scientists discover structural clues to ... Aug 29 Stephany McDowell 1
Mass Spec of Nucleic Acids- Solvents Jul '16 biochem707 1
Isolation of caffeine (Oct '06) May '16 Anonymous 13
Foods affecting body odor question (Oct '06) May '16 K in ct 54
News Video: 2 dudes start a fire tornado in slow motion (Nov '15) Jan '16 TOUJOURS PRET 5
dehydrogenase enzyme in the citric acid cycle? (Nov '15) Nov '15 Shanna 1
More from around the web