Autism study reveals a 'DNA tag' (methylation) amenable to treatment

Apr 9, 2010 Full story: Science Daily

In a new study appearing online in The FASEB Journal , scientists have identified a way to detect the disorder using blood and have discovered that drugs which affect the methylation state of genes could reverse autism's effects.

Full Story
Victoria Clements

Buxton, ME

#1 Apr 10, 2010
I resent the statement ""For far too long, autism research has been side-tracked by the cranky notion that it's caused by the MMR vaccine," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. The reason for the resentment is that I can't remember one time that anyone has said that Autism is CAUSED by MMR vaccines. Parents and grandparents such as myself have reported to our healthcare practitioners until we are blue in the face that our children show significant regression in behavior, both social and communicative, directly after receiving these vaccines. It is heartbreaking to see our children completely withdraw from us who are closest to them and you doctor's and scientists continue to ignore our pleas for help for our children in the face of such hurt and confusion.
Sincerely but not respectfully, since you do not respect us as parents, Victoria...grandparent to an autistic child.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2 Apr 10, 2010
Many people have said autism is caused by the MMR, even if you yourself have never heard it. Raymond is # person who says it often on these topics, but other 'professionals' have often made the same statement.
That side tracked comment probably had nothing directly to do with parents, but Wakefield. Lots of money, time and health has been wasted on him alone.
VICTORIA

Hollis Center, ME

#3 Apr 11, 2010
The loudest voices (i.e; J. McCarthy and others) have said over and over that vaccines are not the cause of Autism, and many others that just want our children to be tested first before vaccines are given to see if our children are hyper- sensitive to vaccines and other toxic substances. I honestly can't believe that the few "professionals" you speak of upset these scientists ego's enough to hinder whatever study they would like to conduct. And, by the way, another drug is not what this country needs for Autism or anything else. I am sick to death of hearing about another pill or vaccine for this or that. I would dearly love to see a scientist tell the truth about cholesterol and the drug companies who profit off from so called high cholesterol health scares, and coerce patients to take drugs like Lipitor, or start doing research and preach prevention, or even look into what parents have discovered what does work for their Autistic children and look into studies as to why these simple things like diet and B-12 Methylation, and chelation have worked so well for our children. I don't hear or see anyone except the different Autism communities like The Dan Network and others like them that are offering parents hope for their children. I don't care much for your "hope". And I doubt that Andrew Wakefield worried scientists much from any field of science.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#4 Apr 11, 2010
Actually, McCarthy's big mouth has said exactly that at one time or another, and so has Generation Rescue, which I heard Wakefield walked over to after leaving Thoughtful House. How predictable was that. Talk about ego's, McCarthy is right up there and how nice of her to now be closing her autism school. Real nice her son has a cure but seems she doesn't care much about the rest who were enrolled.
These few people didn't hinder anything other than maybe a few thousand not being vaccinated. And by the way, chelation agents are also a drug. What a DAN! doctor wont tell you is when you test for heavy metals, you're almost always going to find some. The only reason why you only hear DAN! doctors talking about it is since it's mainly unregulated and the children are guinea tests. Many many children progress and parents find hope w/o ever consulting such a doctor. I have met many never having B-12 injections or chelation. I'd never chelate my son nor give him mass doses of supplements and vitamins. Next thing you know my kid would need a liver and kidney transplant.

Are you suggesting cholesterol is nothing to be worried about?? High cholesterol can be hereditary regardless of preventatives.

So there may be a small sub group which the trigger was vaccines; fact still remains it has to have some genetic link that would make that small sub group predisposed.

For the rest of us, we're sick about hearing about vaccines and the DNA is far more hopeful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biochemistry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCSC professor builds model of low-cost Ebola s... Oct '14 Get a job ColbyLOSER 2
Z-scale interpretation (Feb '11) Oct '14 Trem 2
enzymology (Apr '14) Apr '14 xaxx 1
Determination of hydroxyproline (Collagen content) (Aug '06) Apr '14 juaccco 17
Discovery could yield more efficient plants for... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Liberty 1
Study Links BPA and Breast Cancer Tumor Growth (Mar '14) Mar '14 SANDY SMIITH 1
Genes for endosomal NHE6 and NHE9 are misregula... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Another Duh 25
More from around the web