Slow Starvation of Brain Triggers Alz...

Slow Starvation of Brain Triggers Alzheimer's

There are 37 comments on the www.livescience.com story from Dec 24, 2008, titled Slow Starvation of Brain Triggers Alzheimer's. In it, www.livescience.com reports that:

A slow starvation of the brain over time is one of the major triggers of the biochemistry that causes some forms of Alzheimer's, according to a new study that is helping to crack the mystery of the disease's origins.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.livescience.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wyatt Earp

United States

#22 Dec 31, 2008
You are an idiot, I'm very sure you didn't forget that.

You are the shame of all white people.

Thank goodness you DO NOT represent REAL white people, you are white TRASH.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#23 Jan 1, 2009
My family is Greek and eats a largely Mediterranean diet. My father and two of his siblings were stricken with Alzheimer's. They were all active physically and mentally, as well. It would be nice if all it took was garlic and olive oil to prevent Alzheimer's but, unfortunately, there are obvious other vital pieces to the puzzle to be discovered. I'm not discrediting the recommendations made but let's realize that this is a complex disease that we are only just beginning to understand.
Jim Ryan

Bradenton, FL

#24 Jan 1, 2009
elise in burque wrote:
My family is Greek and eats a largely Mediterranean diet. My father and two of his siblings were stricken with Alzheimer's. They were all active physically and mentally, as well. It would be nice if all it took was garlic and olive oil to prevent Alzheimer's but, unfortunately, there are obvious other vital pieces to the puzzle to be discovered. I'm not discrediting the recommendations made but let's realize that this is a complex disease that we are only just beginning to understand.
So you're suggesting that the Med diet contains garlic from just about birth?
HumanSpirit

Oakfield, GA

#25 Jan 1, 2009
elise in burque wrote:
My family is Greek and eats a largely Mediterranean diet. My father and two of his siblings were stricken with Alzheimer's. They were all active physically and mentally, as well. It would be nice if all it took was garlic and olive oil to prevent Alzheimer's but, unfortunately, there are obvious other vital pieces to the puzzle to be discovered. I'm not discrediting the recommendations made but let's realize that this is a complex disease that we are only just beginning to understand.
As concealing as the "Medical Privacy Act" is and disigned for hiding the wrong doing of the medical community and defective pharmacutical products to limit satistics or media / public knowledge so is the happening with the Statin drugs for colestrial. Being sweeped under the rug and hidden from public view is the properties of the drugs being written off as Alshiemers disease. One can also look into the direction of the psychotropic (mind) drugs and the long term effects from those that compromised their brain chemical balance on a lie from the pharmacutical / mental health industry.

Without a test for chemical imbalance the mental health (psychiatry) is limited in the ancillary tests of medicine like an EKG, EEG, blood work or other tests in the diagnoses of a patient. They aren't needed in Psychiatry.

The psychiatric diagnosis is made on the basis of behavior and hearsay and the psychotropic drugging for this made to order is damaging of the society..

Response: APA admits to fraud in mental health diagnoses by "Chemical Imbalance"

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...

----------

There Are No "Chemical Imbalances"

"The hypothetical disturbances of neurochemical function that are said to underlie "mental illness" are just that: hypothetical. No experiment has ever shown that anyone has an "imbalance" of any neurotransmitters or any other brain chemicals. Nor could any conceivable experiment demonstrate the existence of a "chemical imbalance," simply because no one, least of all the biopsychiatrists, has the slightest idea what a proper and healthy chemical "balance" would look like."

"...the views and beliefs of biopsychiatry have nothing to do with the answers to scientific questions in any case: the hunt for biological "causes" of "mental illness" is an entirely fallacious enterprise in the first place; the non- existence of data to support its assertions is quite beside the point."

"The latest edition of one pharmacology text has this to say about the status of depression as a disease: "Despite extensive efforts, attempts to document the metabolic changes in human subjects predicted by these [biological] hypotheses have not, on balance, provided consistent or compelling corroboration." This is a long-winded way of admitting that not even a scrap of evidence supports the idea that depression results from a "chemical imbalance." Yet patients are told every day - by their doctors, by the media, and by drug company advertising - that it is a proven scientific fact that depression has a known biochemical origin. It follows directly that millions of Americans are being lied to by their doctors; and people surely can't give informed consent for drug treatment when what they're being "informed" by is a fraud.... To sum up: there is no evidence whatsoever to support the view that "mental illness" is biochemical in origin; in other words, things like "Unipolar Disorder" and "Attention Deficit Disorder" simply do not exist."

http://www.adhd-report.com/biopsychiatry/bio_...

----------

continued
HumanSpirit

Oakfield, GA

#26 Jan 1, 2009
In my repository of nearly 3,000 cases reports from statin damaged people, I have observed an unusual number of reported diagnoses of neurodegenerative diseases usually labeled as tauopathies, coming on shortly after the statin drug was first started. In many the initial diagnosis was considered to be a curious amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)/Parkinsonís disease (PD) type of condition. Others report a frontal lobe dementia/Alzheimers type of condition, while still others have a final diagnosis of multiple system abnormalities (MSA) after going through stages of being first considered multiple sclerosis or ALS. There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that the numbers of reports I am seeing are far more than usually expected in a group the size of my reporting population. One naturally wonders about this curious relationship with statin drugs and what the possible mechanism of action might be?
Recently Meske1has reported a very relevant study on abnormal tau protein phosphorylation induced by a statin drug. Meske has established the presence of abnormal tau protein phosphorylation by statins as a consequence of statin inhibitory effect on the usual mevalonate pathways. The role of this abnormal tau protein in the formation of the neurofibrillatory tangles (NFTs) and the association of these statin induced NFTs with many of the neurodegenerative diseases mentioned above is under active investigation at this time2,3.
NFTs, you may recall, are well known to be found in Alzheimers disease, usually in association with deposits of Beta amyloid and in some manner they appear to contribute to neuronal degeneration. What is much less well known is the presence of NFTs of tau protein origin in many other types of neurodegenerative diseases, sometimes accompanied by Beta amyloid but more commonly not. This list of taupathies includes all those conditions mentioned above and many others, much less well known, at least to the public and most physicians.
Twenty years ago, in our eagerness to inhibit the assumed villain, cholesterol, we designed our statin drugs to interfere with the mevalonate pathway. Abnormal tau protein phosphorylation with secondary neuronal damage appears to be another instance of collateral damage from mevalonate tampering. You may recall that statinís inihibition of dolichol, CoQ10 and glial cell cholesterol synthesis, discussed in my book, Statin Drug Side Effects, also reflects statin induced collateral damage to mevalonate pathways, a consequence of tampering with natural physiologic processes.

Our statin associated tauopathies may well be additional gross evidence of collateral damage to existing cellular chemistry that our researchers were unable to predict when they originally designed the statins. All this from a class of drugs originally designed simply to inhibit the biosynthesis of cholesterol, now proven to be irrelevant to the atherosclerotic process.
See references in my website paper. Spacedoc

more:

http://www.spacedoc.net/short_term_memory_los...

Article:

http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php...

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#27 Jan 2, 2009
Jim Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're suggesting that the Med diet contains garlic from just about birth?
I'm suggesting that garlic is a well-known component of a healthy diet. To suggest that it alone not only prevents disease but cures disease is premature.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#28 Jan 2, 2009
HumanSpirit, thank you for your fascinating info! I agree that we are an over-medicated society. We always want a quick and easy way treatment for our ailments. Until we know more about the brain, treated it's disorders seems to be nothing more than a hit and miss proposition. Modern medicine is most definitely not perfect. However, let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.
Jim Ryan

Bradenton, FL

#29 Jan 2, 2009
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I'm suggesting that garlic is a well-known component of a healthy diet. To suggest that it alone not only prevents disease but cures disease is premature.
No it hasn't, at least not until the last few years and only because I made it so. Maybe you think I'm bragging, so please, call my bluff.

Did you know that garlic can kill at least one form of cancer? I consider myself a common sense healer, so I would never speak to such in lies, but then that hasn't been established. I first started speaking about garlic in 2000, but it didn't really get to be mainstream before 2002 or 2003, because the sheisters saw a way to make a quick buck. Too bad.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#30 Jan 2, 2009
Jim Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
No it hasn't, at least not until the last few years and only because I made it so. Maybe you think I'm bragging, so please, call my bluff.
Did you know that garlic can kill at least one form of cancer? I consider myself a common sense healer, so I would never speak to such in lies, but then that hasn't been established. I first started speaking about garlic in 2000, but it didn't really get to be mainstream before 2002 or 2003, because the sheisters saw a way to make a quick buck. Too bad.
People all over the world have known about the benefits of garlic for centuries. However, you are more than welcome to claim credit for it...enjoy :0)
As for garlic "killing" cancer, that would be lovely. Happy New Year.
Jim Ryan

Sarasota, FL

#31 Jan 3, 2009
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text> People all over the world have known about the benefits of garlic for centuries. However, you are more than welcome to claim credit for it...enjoy :0)
As for garlic "killing" cancer, that would be lovely. Happy New Year.
How can you prove that the world knew of such for centuries and why didn't all Americans know? I glad you're so happy, but do show us the proof.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#32 Jan 3, 2009
Jim Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you prove that the world knew of such for centuries and why didn't all Americans know? I glad you're so happy, but do show us the proof.
I AM happy, thank you. Sir, I don't feel the need to prove anything. However, if you would like to come over to New Mexico, we would love to have you. Speak to the old folks down here. They know all about the age-old remedies passed on through the ages. Also, there are thriving Greek and Italian communities in Florida. Speak to the people, you will find amazing similarities in the plants and herbs used in natural medicine between many cultures. The medicinal and health properties of garlic are no secret. I'm glad you are spreading the word. I wish you happiness and continued good health.
Jim Ryan

Sarasota, FL

#33 Jan 3, 2009
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I AM happy, thank you. Sir, I don't feel the need to prove anything. However, if you would like to come over to New Mexico, we would love to have you. Speak to the old folks down here. They know all about the age-old remedies passed on through the ages. Also, there are thriving Greek and Italian communities in Florida. Speak to the people, you will find amazing similarities in the plants and herbs used in natural medicine between many cultures. The medicinal and health properties of garlic are no secret. I'm glad you are spreading the word. I wish you happiness and continued good health.
No proof from you. Oh well, I figured as much.
Jim Ryan

Sarasota, FL

#34 Jan 3, 2009
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I AM happy, thank you. Sir, I don't feel the need to prove anything. However, if you would like to come over to New Mexico, we would love to have you. Speak to the old folks down here. They know all about the age-old remedies passed on through the ages. Also, there are thriving Greek and Italian communities in Florida. Speak to the people, you will find amazing similarities in the plants and herbs used in natural medicine between many cultures. The medicinal and health properties of garlic are no secret. I'm glad you are spreading the word. I wish you happiness and continued good health.
Why don't you at least tell us of your wives tales or folk medicine as some call it. Tell us folk medicine about garlic, before most all Americans made fun of the garlic eaters and the smell from such, I'm sure that made all Italians and greeks wanting to regale each other as to why they should eat garlic and smell like such.

You should know better than to lie, because children eating garlic in school will be made terrible fun of, just as adults trying to get jobs in American society, smelling of such.

I was hammered for such when I ate it and experimented with it on myself, for the time that I did, so tell us all just how much the immigrints of Italians and their offspring spoke of garlic to other Americans or even each other, when they were so highly ridiculed in school and work for such. Most will know that such chased all who ate garlic, away from it.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#35 Jan 7, 2009
Jim Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you at least tell us of your wives tales or folk medicine as some call it. Tell us folk medicine about garlic, before most all Americans made fun of the garlic eaters and the smell from such, I'm sure that made all Italians and greeks wanting to regale each other as to why they should eat garlic and smell like such.
You should know better than to lie, because children eating garlic in school will be made terrible fun of, just as adults trying to get jobs in American society, smelling of such.
I was hammered for such when I ate it and experimented with it on myself, for the time that I did, so tell us all just how much the immigrints of Italians and their offspring spoke of garlic to other Americans or even each other, when they were so highly ridiculed in school and work for such. Most will know that such chased all who ate garlic, away from it.
~chuckle~ I celebrate your quirkiness!
Doug

United States

#36 Jan 24, 2009
There is one fact, interesting everyone cured by any means. All had a belief that the cure would work. Itís called the placebo effect and if you use ďreal medicineĒor a sugar pill the result can be the same.
There was a group that where going to market placebo and only use medical fact on the label and the FDA [protector of the drug companies] said it was to dangerous.
I guess facts are to dangerous

Since: Feb 09

Faridabad, India

#37 Feb 24, 2009
please visit the Blog for more information

http://www.biochemden.blogspot.com

Thank you

Since: Feb 09

Faridabad, India

#38 Feb 24, 2009


Please visit the blog for more details

http://www.biochemden.blogspot.com

Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biochemistry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miniature droplets could solve an origin-of-lif... Oct '17 Qedlin Saltum 1
News University of Maryland researcher's published a... (Feb '17) Feb '17 noobieR 1
News Poop, there it is: New test for exotic civet co... (Sep '13) Feb '17 Fancy Phart 4
News Dr. Hays Young, Dna Analyst and Technical Leade... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Wildbird 1
Will this have ruined my health? (Feb '17) Feb '17 Njhuckman 1
News Association of rare missense variants in the se... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Researchers uncover a new mechanistic understan... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web