Slow Starvation of Brain Triggers Alz...

Slow Starvation of Brain Triggers Alzheimer's

There are 37 comments on the www.livescience.com story from Dec 24, 2008, titled Slow Starvation of Brain Triggers Alzheimer's. In it, www.livescience.com reports that:

A slow starvation of the brain over time is one of the major triggers of the biochemistry that causes some forms of Alzheimer's, according to a new study that is helping to crack the mystery of the disease's origins.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.livescience.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#1 Dec 25, 2008
Or you could simply eat a small portion of raw garlic 3 times a week--with your food and that will keep the plaque from building-up too much.

Of course big pharma doesn't want you to know. I wouldn't depend on any co. trying to offer garlic in pill form.

And just to be sure you cover the bases, take one table-spoon-full of extra virgin olive oil 3 times a week.

Italians in the past were known as garlic eaters and science has proven that Italians back then had almost no heart disease. Science back then never tested for Alzheimers, but if they did, I'm sure ---especially with what was written in this story, that Italians that ate garlic on a constant basis would show almost no Alzheimers.

While I know by experimentation on myself as to garlics benefits--being a smoker for 48 years and experiencing a blockage that I rid myself of in 5 days, eating one raw clove of garlic a day with my meals--as I've never had health insurance and never ate garlic before the blockage. I realized the blockage--because one nite I stasrted to sleep on my stomach and I could feel just above and towards the middle of my chest, a constriction in the blood flow.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#2 Dec 25, 2008
I think there is a connection between the usage of psychotropic (mind) drugs and especially the Statin drugs to lower cholesterol.
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#3 Dec 25, 2008
HumanSpirit wrote:
I think there is a connection between the usage of psychotropic (mind) drugs and especially the Statin drugs to lower cholesterol.
That could very well be possible--considering cause and effect and how medicines--drugs--food and many other things--act on every human being differently--considering the long and short runs--family histories and so much unknown. IE: Some drugs kill people, some just maim and others help at least in the short term--to varying degrees.

However, I truly believe that garlic can and will at the least, reduce the liabilities--if done with dilligent care and understanding.
kosam

Vestal, NY

#4 Dec 25, 2008
It's called old age. If, you don't use what knowledge you learn it goes back into the filing cabin. Over the years after retirement there's no need to use all those files stored in the brain, that's what science calls Alzheimer's. These people are not going brain dead because of old age, it's because the brain doesn't require all that knowledge it has stored since they were kids. How many times has science forgot to add a key component to a project and had to restart from back up's.
kosam

Vestal, NY

#5 Dec 25, 2008
I'll have some garlic please;)
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#6 Dec 25, 2008
kosam wrote:
It's called old age. If, you don't use what knowledge you learn it goes back into the filing cabin. Over the years after retirement there's no need to use all those files stored in the brain, that's what science calls Alzheimer's. These people are not going brain dead because of old age, it's because the brain doesn't require all that knowledge it has stored since they were kids. How many times has science forgot to add a key component to a project and had to restart from back up's.
Yes, old age and I call it old timers disease, because I got some of it. However, oldtimers is much different then alzheimers as I'm sure most know and from my perspective, old timers comes about because for the most part---as we get older, many of us chill-out a little. We don't feel we have to be as perfect as can be and remember every tiny detail since we were born. We can say,--ya know, it's just not that important and I ain't gotta be on my guard every moment. I'm human, I've done my time and it's ok if I ain't perfect.

Ya'll have a great Christmas, Festivus, Hannakah, and danged if I can spell it, but it sounds like---felise-navi-dat.
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#7 Dec 25, 2008
kosam wrote:
Something else to consider. I met the owner of one of --the Sheik resturants one day as he was eating his lunch and I mine. I made some small talk--which I'm not too good at in person, talking about garlic and asking him if he knew anyone that ate garlic and he said,--why yes, I eat a clove of raw garlic daily and he said he had since he was a child.

He also told me of a story of his brother-in-law, where his brother-in-law was going to his doctor because of tiredness and such and the doctor told him that he had a leaky heart valve. To make the story short, the man was coming into stage 3 or 4, where he would have to get an operation and the owner of the sheik told him to eat one raw clove of garlic a day until he was to see the doctor again--to be given a date for the operation and the doctor told him he was down to stage one, so he didn't need the operation.

Now just so you know, the major cause for heart valve leakage, is because of infection. Yes, garlic is also known as a natural antibiotic, but no one antibiotic can heal or possibly cure any and all infections, but some antibiotics can heal and cure quite a few kinds of infections.
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#8 Dec 25, 2008
By the way, if you have not eaten garlic since you were very young and on a consistent basis, it's not advisable for you to eat a raw clove of garlic a day,--but if your body can handle garlic, I'd say it would be ok to eat a total of 4 raw cloves of garlic a month or if you were to get sick, you could eat one raw clove a day for a week and there be no problem. However, if you have not eaten garlic since your youth, you can possibly do damage to yourself if you eat too much, because your body has already built-up a lot of plaque in your systems and trust me, don't over-do-it. If you take it as I tell you, that much will just keep the arteries from getting thicker with plaque and probably with time, possibly clean out some of the older plaque a little at a time.
kosam

Vestal, NY

#9 Dec 25, 2008
Jim Ryan wrote:
By the way, if you have not eaten garlic since you were very young and on a consistent basis, it's not advisable for you to eat a raw clove of garlic a day,--but if your body can handle garlic, I'd say it would be ok to eat a total of 4 raw cloves of garlic a month or if you were to get sick, you could eat one raw clove a day for a week and there be no problem. However, if you have not eaten garlic since your youth, you can possibly do damage to yourself if you eat too much, because your body has already built-up a lot of plaque in your systems and trust me, don't over-do-it. If you take it as I tell you, that much will just keep the arteries from getting thicker with plaque and probably with time, possibly clean out some of the older plaque a little at a time.
Probley the best known natural medicine is mom's the doctor. The warm chicken broth, ginger tea, garlic, a good work out, etc. but, with all other extra additives maybe over stuffing the blood cells more then what they need.
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#10 Dec 26, 2008
kosam wrote:
<quoted text>Probley the best known natural medicine is mom's the doctor. The warm chicken broth, ginger tea, garlic, a good work out, etc. but, with all other extra additives maybe over stuffing the blood cells more then what they need.
For the common colds and flu's, my mother would put us kids in bed, cover us with 4 or 5 blankets and make us drink hot lemonade and or limeade till we couldn't drink another drop and by the next day, we were up and running everytime--at least as far as I can remember.

The doctors my mother worked for taught her that one and more. I raise my glass to health.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

#11 Dec 26, 2008
Jim;

Garlic is an age old remedy. It was used during WWII as an antibiotic for wounds. Much has been written on the subject to it's health benefits. Thanks for sharing..

Red Yeast Rice is another important herb for myself in controlling cholesterol. I have little respect for the pharmacutical Statin drugs and the harm they cause.
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#12 Dec 26, 2008
HumanSpirit wrote:
Jim;
Garlic is an age old remedy. It was used during WWII as an antibiotic for wounds. Much has been written on the subject to it's health benefits. Thanks for sharing..
Red Yeast Rice is another important herb for myself in controlling cholesterol. I have little respect for the pharmacutical Statin drugs and the harm they cause.
Yes, when I heard that during the war they packed soldiers wounds with garlic, I right away thought of how Italians had almost no heart disease. Little did I know that one day I would use garlic to break-up a blockage very close to my heart. I also didn't know I would kill a cancer on my body with garlic, but I did.
Test dummy

Ashburn, VA

#13 Dec 28, 2008
I rather try eating candy bars.
kosam

Vestal, NY

#14 Dec 29, 2008
Test dummy wrote:
I rather try eating candy bars.
yea! teeth decay and round bellies:) Carbohydrates seems to eat away at calcium over long periods of time. Could be part the cause to arthritis as well. I was always told to brush my teeth and rinse my mouth even after drinking soda.
but never did lost all my teeth at an early age from both sweets and soda's and not brushing after wards.
Robt

Camarillo, CA

#15 Dec 29, 2008
Garlic oil placed on the tip of a bullet and shot into a human being will cause the person to die if not from the trama of the bullet entering the body but infection caused by the garlic.
Robt

Camarillo, CA

#16 Dec 29, 2008
If your boat is sinkling rub garlic all over your body in heavy amounts and the sharks will never attack.
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#17 Dec 29, 2008
Robt wrote:
Garlic oil placed on the tip of a bullet and shot into a human being will cause the person to die if not from the trama of the bullet entering the body but infection caused by the garlic.
Yea, uh-huh, that's why the armed forces packed soldiers wounds with garlic during the war, because it creates infections. Sarcasam-off

Does that really make sense to you?
Robt

Camarillo, CA

#18 Dec 29, 2008
Jim Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, uh-huh, that's why the armed forces packed soldiers wounds with garlic during the war, because it creates infections. Sarcasam-off
Does that really make sense to you?
The only packing of garlic into a wound during the war was if you had a POW and you wanted him NOT to survive...
Jim Ryan

Tampa, FL

#19 Dec 30, 2008
Robt wrote:
<quoted text>
The only packing of garlic into a wound during the war was if you had a POW and you wanted him NOT to survive...
Below is just one link in the proof.

http://www.nznaturalhealth.com/product_28.htm...

Drug co's don't want people to know, because they would sell a lot less drugs.

Since: Dec 08

Kansas City Missouri

#20 Dec 30, 2008
kosam wrote:
I should have some garlic to!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biochemistry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
biochemistry jobs and paying Jun 10 sachita 1
News Regular ibuprofen use can extend lifespan, rese... Jan '15 Commander Bunny 1
Anyone want to buy test banks? $150 each... (... (Feb '08) Jan '15 thaimex 2
News UCSC professor builds model of low-cost Ebola s... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Analicia C 1
Z-scale interpretation (Feb '11) Oct '14 Trem 2
enzymology (Apr '14) Apr '14 xaxx 1
Determination of hydroxyproline (Collagen content) (Aug '06) Apr '14 juaccco 17
More from around the web