Distant Pulsar Lends New Support for ...

Distant Pulsar Lends New Support for Einstein's Relativity Theory

There are 1 comment on the Voice of America story from May 14, 2013, titled Distant Pulsar Lends New Support for Einstein's Relativity Theory. In it, Voice of America reports that:

A recent study is providing new support for a theory that many scientists consider to be one of the two major pillars of modern physics - Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Voice of America.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 May 15, 2013
The last time I commented on this one the Topix connection crashed.

Suffice it to say that the fact that neutron stars hover mostly around 1.3 to 1.4 solar masses indicates a difference in formation mechanism between neutron stars & stellar mass black holes.

The Magnetars may be a bridging mass mechanism between classic neutron stars & black holes but in their case they should be formed in classic type 1 supernova collapse and be dumped on by the inner part of the outer layers with the ejection velocity of the outer shell a mite lower than average for a type 1. SN 1987A appears to have produced a magnetar (will need to wait for the debris to clear a bit).

The stellar mass black holes may have a completely different core convection feeder structure to a classical supergiant. Best guess so far appears to be an infalling equatorial disc carrying cool fusible material into the core & a polar outflow rich in fusion products cycling back into the equatorial disc.

Problem rests in an upper mass cutoff for neutron stars (magnetars) and a lower mass cutoff for stellar mass black holes.

have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Astronomy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Close Encounters: Why UFOs Are Having a Moment Oct 11 trumans treason 32
News Weird 'alien megastructure' star may have simpl... Oct 7 Fundies R Mentall... 1
News Are meteorites the origin of life? 'Warm ponds'... Oct 4 Qedlin Saltum 1
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) Sep 29 Earth Whisperer 212
News Rapper wants to prove the Earth is flat once an... Sep 26 tom 1
Autumn Solstice 2017 reminder Sep '17 anonz 2
News Thousands Expected In Hopkinsville For 2017 Sol... (Feb '14) Aug '17 Exposed 24
More from around the web