What Is an Exoplanet?

What Is an Exoplanet?

There are 1 comment on the Mashable story from Jul 13, 2013, titled What Is an Exoplanet?. In it, Mashable reports that:

Sixty three light-years away in a constellation called Vulpecula lies a planet called HD 189733b.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mashable.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Jul 15, 2013
Nice:

As a Jupiter mass gas giant in a very hot location the glass is unlikely.

The planet would initially have been supersaturated with hydrogen and all the Si would be Silane (SiH4). Metals such as Ti famous for the TiO2 bands in stars would remain as oxides if they are reactive such as Mg or Ca and may form hydroxides in the atmosphere of this sort of planet but the Si part of the glass would be absent.

The deep blue colour is likely a combinbation of extensive cloud free atmospheric depth on the dayside (no cloud condensation available) coupled with background scattering from minute amounts of metal oxide & hydroxide dust on the upper cells dredged up from the metal oxide & hydroxide condensation zone cloud decks beneath the upper cells. The other feature giving the deep blue colour is likely the same as occurs in Neptune which is an atmosphere with CH4 and (in this case SiH4) molecules abrorbing the red light before it is reflected from the near transparent atmosphere.

With time this planet is likely to lose its excess H2 & a fair chunk of He which is likely to be lofted out of the atmosphere and blown away in a tail on its stellar wind.@ that point, photolysis of molecules of H2O, NH3 and CH4 (@ other nonmetal hydrides) will, produce a more oxidising atmosphere with time as there will eventually not be enough spare photolysed H in the atmosphere to mop up free radicals. The first effects will be the precipitation of high temperature metal oxides & possibly carbides out of the atmosphere, and also the formation of high stability temperature organic molecules (probably on the cooler nightside of the planet). This process may actually increase the transparency of the atmosphere of the planet enhancing the deep blue.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Astronomy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Summer solstice celebrated this year with the a... Jun 21 Barb 1
News Speed Of Light May Not Be Constant After All, P... (May '13) Jun 18 nakayama 87
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) Jun 12 Earth Whisperer 144
News Astronomy: Columbus native helped verify NASA's... Jun 10 Contrarian 5
News 3D map of Jupiter reveals its atmosphere and co... Jun 2 Sault Ste Marie O... 1
News Have researchers been looking for dark matter i... May '16 RobertsMadeline 2
News Antonia Maury May '16 McHappy 1
More from around the web