Astronomy Picture of the Day -- Messi...

Astronomy Picture of the Day -- Messier 77

There are 1 comment on the Free Republic story from May 10, 2013, titled Astronomy Picture of the Day -- Messier 77. In it, Free Republic reports that:

Explanation: Face-on spiral galaxy M77 lies a mere 47 million light-years away toward the aquatic constellation Cetus .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 May 13, 2013
Nice pic.

Background info was impressive in the fact that this galaxy has a visible diameter similar to our own.

I was expecting this one to be bigger.

Appears to be more compact & massive than ours.

M77 is not quite face on (appears to be about 25 to 20 degrees tilted and may be a foreshortened barred spiral).

The impressive bit is the degree of resolution as most of the photos seen previously showed a bright central blob and a fuzzy outer set of arms with little structure.

No sign of an interacting companion, but there is a more distant spiral seen through the left quadrant of the outer spiral arm (shows as a small amber spiral).

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Astronomy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Artist's impression showing the first interstel... 18 min guest 1
News Wow! 1st Interstellar Asteroid Is a Spinning Sp... Tue The Way I See It 1
News Weird supernova breaks all the rules with multi... Nov 10 Ex Senator Stillb... 1
News Close Encounters: Why UFOs Are Having a Moment Oct '17 trumans treason 32
News Weird 'alien megastructure' star may have simpl... Oct '17 Fundies R Mentall... 1
News Are meteorites the origin of life? 'Warm ponds'... Oct '17 Qedlin Saltum 1
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) Sep '17 Earth Whisperer 212
More from around the web