Jupiter Moon Io's Volcanoes Revealed in New Map

Jun 12, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Live Science

Thermal emission from erupting volcanoes on the Jupiter's moon Io. A logarithmic scale is used to classify volcanoes on the basis of thermal emission; the larger the spot, the larger the thermal emission.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Jun 20, 2012

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

#1 Jun 13, 2012
That one was interesting.

The fact that Io is largely silicate indicates that it is likely to be a sequence of layered intrusives at all levels in the crust.

The heterogeneous nature of heat sources indicates that some of the intrusives release heat through conduction as the magma crystallises. The silicate is likely to be Komatiite, but this alone could be enough to melt a basaltic liquid out of the surrounding country rock.

Heatflow is also likely through subsiding old volcanic edifices and rift faults. Tghe crust as a result id likely to be rather thicker than expected as the volcanoes will sit on other volcanoes which respond to the mass and tidal flexure by sinking.

By now (4.5gyr) the result wil be a volcanic plumbing system of the mad victorian type rather than a smooth magma ocean & shell model. Tidal flexure versus big volcanoes may also produce a bit of differential rotation to the mix.

Have a nice day: ag

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#2 Jun 18, 2012
How often do they occur?

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

#3 Jun 20, 2012
Camille Pegram wrote:
How often do they occur?
The reply reature screwed up again so had to hunt for this one.

The volcanoes tend to erup as a whole continuously.

reports from probes (scanty) indicates that the volcanoes erupt in year to decade time basis, but some volcanoes likely to have century interval times and these are likely the hard to see hot spots on the map which are blanketed by ejecta from parabolic plumes.(ie. impact of ejecta arriving at same velicity as exit from the vent velocity (resembles Iraq during morning rush hour).

Volcanoes per se probably appear on a 500 year basis and persist of & on for a considerable time. Cause of extinction of an IO volcano is likely a buildup of mass sufficient to cause the edifice to subside as a solid object en masse with new volcanoes forming at the outkirts along the ring faults.

That should just about cover it but sorting out the math proper requires better coverage with orbital probe(s).

Have a nice day: Ag

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#4 Jun 20, 2012
Thank you^^
Name

Morehead, KY

#5 Jun 20, 2012
Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Astronomy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scientists check huge crack in Earth Aug 25 TALLYHO 8541 24
Saturday night's meteor seen across the country Aug 20 SpaceBlues 1
Indian-origin student discovers and measures my... Aug 18 Adrian Godsafe MSc 4
Amazing Andromeda Galaxy View Captured by Amate... Aug 13 so what 2
Three Major Volcanic Eruptions Observed On Io i... Aug 13 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
A Step closer to understanding the birth of the... Aug 11 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
How super is the Super Moon? Aug 11 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••