Magnetar Found at Giant Black Hole

Magnetar Found at Giant Black Hole

There are 1 comment on the Scientific American story from May 15, 2013, titled Magnetar Found at Giant Black Hole. In it, Scientific American reports that:

Dale Frail couldn't resist the prospect of watching a black hole swallow its prey.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scientific American.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 May 15, 2013
Nice article.

As a result of the magnetar being traceable via its period it will be an independent indicator of orbital velocity around the black hole.

Will likely be rather handy in pinning down the mass of sgr A* in the tens of thousands to thousands of solar masses bracket, and being X ray it will also be rather more resolved than the IR views of the nearby bright stars.

Would also probably be able to notice the flares as the magnetar crashes through the equatorial drag & spin disc of the supermassive black hole, as sgr A* & the magnetar will not have a similar rotation axis & will precess & different rates & directions.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Astronomy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Summer solstice celebrated this year with the a... Jun 21 Barb 1
News Speed Of Light May Not Be Constant After All, P... (May '13) Jun 18 nakayama 87
News If there's alien life in the universe, where is... (Jul '15) Jun 12 Earth Whisperer 144
News Astronomy: Columbus native helped verify NASA's... Jun 10 Contrarian 5
News 3D map of Jupiter reveals its atmosphere and co... Jun 2 Sault Ste Marie O... 1
News Have researchers been looking for dark matter i... May '16 RobertsMadeline 2
News Antonia Maury May '16 McHappy 1
More from around the web