Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 253944 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#198184 Jan 1, 2014
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jews never worshipped the golden calf. That is a Christian lie spread by the Church against the Jews.
Those, who made the golden calf and worshipped it were a group of people, whom Moses had brought out along with the Hebrews. Moses did not just bring out only the Hebrews.
Many other pagans, foreigners and immigrant workers belonging to other tribes had also followed Moses. I believe they were the members of the tribes of Esau and other brothers of Joseph, who had given up the religion of Abraham over centuries.
Maybe the Church has modified the Bible, but has not power to modify the Torah.

So let's take a quick look at what the Torah says about who made and worshipped the egel hazahav (golden calf).

SHEMOT 32:1-5
1.When the people saw that Moses was late in coming down from the mountain, the people gathered against Aaron, and they said to him: "Come on! Make us gods that will go before us, because this man Moses, who brought us up from the land of Egypt we don't know what has become of him."

2.Aaron said to them, "Remove the golden earrings that are on the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters and bring them [those earrings] to me."

3.And ALL the people stripped themselves of the golden earrings that were on their ears and brought them to Aaron.

4.He took [them] from their hand[s], fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made it into a molten calf, upon which they said: "These are your gods, O Israel, who have brought you up from the land of Egypt!"

5.When Aaron saw [this], he built an altar in front of it, and Aaron proclaimed and said: "Tomorrow shall be a festival to the Lord."

It's obvious from there that Aaron made the golden calf and proclaimed festival to the lord (pictured as a golden calf). The third verse reveal to us who were these people "And all the people", i.e. Israelities and foreigners.

But let's move on, if it were true, as you said, that only a certain group of people, mainly foreigners, worshiped the golden calf then god would have punished them and not also all the Israelities, right?

SHEMOT 32:7-10

7.And the Lord said to Moses: "Go, descend, for your people that you have brought up from the land of Egypt have acted corruptly.

8.They have quickly turned away from the path that I have commanded them; they have made themselves a molten calf! And they have prostrated themselves before it, slaughtered sacrifices to it, and said:'These are your gods, O Israel, who have brought you up from the land of Egypt.'

9. And the Lord said to Moses: "I have seen this people and behold! they are a stiff necked people.

10. Now leave Me alone, and My anger will be kindled against them so that I will annihilate them, and I will make you into a great nation."

It seems pretty evident that YHVH was mad and wanted to punish Israel and not to a certain group of people, as you stated.

You are wrong over anything you said. And you are the one who said to have read and studied the Bible? LOL

Location hidden

#198185 Jan 1, 2014
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of a silly and idiotic question was that, Nina?
I can employ ten like you anytime.
I was sent to the House of Topix by some Muslim friends, who asked me to take a look at silly and idiotic posts by stupid Christian apologists and all polemicists. Jesus left Israel Forum but I am still here.
So, what was their purpose to invite you to read silly and idiotic posts, since you came here and wrote other silly and idiotic posts?

Since: Sep 13

Dubai, UAE

#198186 Jan 1, 2014
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>How can you call Paul a liar when you worship.
Continued:
You r worshipping pagan moon not muslim
New claimed god adopted by guy christian lol
Guy claimed god just like shamma
It is not matter of calling paul lair
It is matter of truth
Bible say whoever bring new concept of god other than mentioned in bible is layer prophet lol
Just like paul who lie about salvation
While john 19 say jew crusify jesus because he said he is son of god lol
Your Fake God was killed by jews he even didn't know about conspiracy
Paul also lied about god turning to jesus
Bible say jesus prophet
Matthew 21:11 The crowds answered, "This is Jesus, the prophet ...
• christian hire another layer ( guy to talk behalf of them - shame on both of you
God make israel eternal!
So why god send jesus and people dumped judasim and turned christian
Why god promise to change them ( guy known As layer
Deuteronomy 32 (New International Version)- Bible Gateway
www&#8203;.biblegateway.co m/passage/?search...&#8207 ;
17 They sacrificed to false gods, which are not God—... I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.
• guy preist really funny
• why god should not make jews eternal while they are killer of god massanger according to bible.( unlogical claim
They reject god massage and fight god orders and still god will say to them enter heaven ( unlogical claim
Luke 13:34 ASV
American Standard Version
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen [gathereth] her own brood under her wings, and ye would not!

Dubai, UAE

#198187 Jan 1, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what was their purpose to invite you to read silly and idiotic posts, since you came here and wrote other silly and idiotic posts?
You should read shamma post look like more than just idiot

Location hidden

#198189 Jan 1, 2014
The pot calling the kettle black.
No-Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read shamma post look like more than just idiot
Shamma has not the mental capacities to bring forth his arguments, and such as I don't bother much with him as evident by my posts. In the other hand, you are not that different from him.

Dubai, UAE

#198190 Jan 1, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the Church has modified the Bible, but has not power to modify the Torah.
So let's take a quick look at what the Torah says about who made and worshipped the egel hazahav (golden calf).
SHEMOT 32:1-5
1.When the people saw that Moses was late in coming down from the mountain, the people gathered against Aaron, and they said to him: "Come on! Make us gods that will go before us, because this man Moses, who brought us up from the land of Egypt we don't know what has become of him."
2.Aaron said to them, "Remove the golden earrings that are on the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters and bring them [those earrings] to me."
3.And ALL the people stripped themselves of the golden earrings that were on their ears and brought them to Aaron.
4.He took [them] from their hand[s], fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made it into a molten calf, upon which they said: "These are your gods, O Israel, who have brought you up from the land of Egypt!"
5.When Aaron saw [this], he built an altar in front of it, and Aaron proclaimed and said: "Tomorrow shall be a festival to the Lord."
It's obvious from there that Aaron made the golden calf and proclaimed festival to the lord (pictured as a golden calf). The third verse reveal to us who were these people "And all the people", i.e. Israelities and foreigners.
But let's move on, if it were true, as you said, that only a certain group of people, mainly foreigners, worshiped the golden calf then god would have punished them and not also all the Israelities, right?
SHEMOT 32:7-10
7.And the Lord said to Moses: "Go, descend, for your people that you have brought up from the land of Egypt have acted corruptly.
8.They have quickly turned away from the path that I have commanded them; they have made themselves a molten calf! And they have prostrated themselves before it, slaughtered sacrifices to it, and said:'These are your gods, O Israel, who have brought you up from the land of Egypt.'
9. And the Lord said to Moses: "I have seen this people and behold! they are a stiff necked people.
10. Now leave Me alone, and My anger will be kindled against them so that I will annihilate them, and I will make you into a great nation."
It seems pretty evident that YHVH was mad and wanted to punish Israel and not to a certain group of people, as you stated.
You are wrong over anything you said. And you are the one who said to have read and studied the Bible? LOL
I will ask you question

If I am living in while torah was sent and I killed prophet

Do you expect that I will leave torah without corruption

Of course not

Is not that true

And so jews did kill prophets

So how do you expect they didn't corrupt bible

Luke 13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and ...

They also killed jesus

They also killed pabtisa john

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Dubai, UAE

#198191 Jan 1, 2014
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Nina.
That's a fair point.
Similarly there are many things in OT and NT without any proof whatsoever.
I suppose it all boils down to belief.
To an ex christian, a simple question has been about the claim that "god came as man in the form of Jesus"
This is an extra ordinary claim.
Therefore, we need extraordinary proof.
There is no real proof in the NT..........
When moses went to bush where god talked to him

No one were there

You still believe he is prophet isn't that true

While Noah talked to god
There are no witness,
As we know according to bible Noah is alcoholic person
How could you be sure about alcoholic person
They even don't remmber any thing while they wake up

Dubai, UAE

#198192 Jan 1, 2014
Nina Q wrote:
<quoted text>
khadija.
oh I forgot that Gabriel ginnie too. But while khadija was a real person recorded in history no one can attest to the real encounter of Mohammed with Gabriel.
the voices just dont count especially when no one else heard them.

So funny

So why do you count voice of... who talked to many prophets according to bible

Read previous post plus this one

No one were there while angel with Abraham except his wife? So you consider this line from genesis lie

Isn't that true

Then your faith lie / wrong

After the angels received the hospitality of Abraham and Sarah, his wife, the LORD revealed to Abraham that he would destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, because their cry was great, "and because their sin is very grievous."[Gen 18:20]

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#198193 Jan 1, 2014
No-Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
You r worshipping pagan moon not muslim
New claimed god adopted by guy christian lol
Guy claimed god just like shamma
It is not matter of calling paul lair
It is matter of truth
Bible say whoever bring new concept of god other than mentioned in bible is layer prophet lol
Just like paul who lie about salvation
While john 19 say jew crusify jesus because he said he is son of god lol
Your Fake God was killed by jews he even didn't know about conspiracy
Paul also lied about god turning to jesus
Bible say jesus prophet
Matthew 21:11 The crowds answered, "This is Jesus, the prophet ...
• christian hire another layer ( guy to talk behalf of them - shame on both of you
God make israel eternal!
So why god send jesus and people dumped judasim and turned christian
Why god promise to change them ( guy known As layer
Deuteronomy 32 (New International Version)- Bible Gateway
www&#8203;.biblegateway.co m/passage/?search...&#8207 ;
17 They sacrificed to false gods, which are not God—... I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.
• guy preist really funny
• why god should not make jews eternal while they are killer of god massanger according to bible.( unlogical claim
They reject god massage and fight god orders and still god will say to them enter heaven ( unlogical claim
Luke 13:34 ASV
American Standard Version
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen [gathereth] her own brood under her wings, and ye would not!
You are a dumb Muslim.
You do not know God.
Allah is a pagan moon god!

Location hidden

#198194 Jan 1, 2014
No-Doubt wrote:
Nina Q wrote:
<quoted text>
khadija.
oh I forgot that Gabriel ginnie too. But while khadija was a real person recorded in history no one can attest to the real encounter of Mohammed with Gabriel.
the voices just dont count especially when no one else heard them.
So funny
So why do you count voice of... who talked to many prophets according to bible
Read previous post plus this one
No one were there while angel with Abraham except his wife? So you consider this line from genesis lie
Isn't that true
Then your faith lie / wrong
After the angels received the hospitality of Abraham and Sarah, his wife, the LORD revealed to Abraham that he would destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, because their cry was great, "and because their sin is very grievous."[Gen 18:20]
God is going to destroy Islam.
Muslims are insane!
Their pagan god Allah demand's Muslims to fight and kill for him.
That is not a god , that is a demon from hell!

Since: Dec 13

Arlington Heights, IL

#198195 Jan 1, 2014
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>The word God idiot existed before the pagan German and Norse deities.
The Jews are an example of pagan worshiping a golden calf that they called their god.
God:
The supreme Spirit who alone exists of Himself, and is infinite in all perfections.
Eventually, the mind must arrive at some being which is its own explanation for existence, which did not need some other being to create it or sustain it.
That being which exist of it self, and is the source of all other being, we call God.
1. Taking what you say about the calf for granted, it further proves my point. The word god was historically used to mean a pagan deity.

2. Now if you speak Arabic, substitute the word Allah in your statement:

The supreme Spirit who alone exists of Himself, and is infinite in all perfections.
Eventually, the mind must arrive at some being which is its own explanation for existence, which did not need some other being to create it or sustain it.
That being which exist of it self, and is the source of all other being, we call Allah.

So, what's the difference. It works both ways.

Now, tell me where in Exodus 32 does the word god phonetically appear. The word used is elohei and its grammatical forms.

Location hidden

#198196 Jan 1, 2014
Alex WM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Nina.
That's a fair point.
Similarly there are many things in OT and NT without any proof whatsoever.
I suppose it all boils down to belief.
To an ex christian, a simple question has been about the claim that "god came as man in the form of Jesus"
This is an extra ordinary claim.
Therefore, we need extraordinary proof.
There is no real proof in the NT..........
It already happened.
You are ignorant and kiss the ass of your madman Muhammad who worshiped the pagan moon god Allah.

You are an Muhammad ass kisser that believes a true God ask his followers to kill non-Muslims that reject Muhammad.

No god is worthy of worship that commands his followers to kill those that do not belive in him..

Since: Dec 13

Arlington Heights, IL

#198197 Jan 1, 2014
No-Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
So funny we borrow it from you
No we didn't borrow it from jews
You r wrong
These law that God allah asked us to do it
In your book, it was mentioned that Arab will come
They will be decended from ishmael ( god promised to turn ishmael to great nation and they will be worshipping creator forever
Language change from Hebrew to English
Hebrew Sarai will turn to saraah arabic ( it is like their grand son will talk arabic)
Genesis
15 God also said to Abraham,“As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah.
• I can't understand how do you make aboulation while you spent half your days in work and other half drinking wine
God of decended ( Arab decended from Abraham
As god promised to turn them Abraham to arab..... etc
Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, 4 “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. 5 No longer will you be called Abram[b]; your name will be Abraham,[c] for I have made you a father of many nations. 6 I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. 7 I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.
• it is not matter of having aboulation or not
Do you practice it daily or not
I am glad that you concede my point on ritual washing by Jews.

The Arab didn't descend from Abraham. According to Muslim belief Muhammad descended from Abraham. Arabs existed prior to Abraham and independent of Ishmael. Very few are said to be descendants of Abraham.

You have to try a better Arab/English dictionary and explain the word "aboulation". I normally can make out what you are saying. But this one is puzzling.

Location hidden

#198198 Jan 1, 2014
ericfromchi wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Taking what you say about the calf for granted, it further proves my point. The word god was historically used to mean a pagan deity.
2. Now if you speak Arabic, substitute the word Allah in your statement:
That being which exist of it self, and is the source of all other being, we call Allah.
So, what's the difference. It works both ways.
Now, tell me where in Exodus 32 does the word god phonetically appear. The word used is elohei and its grammatical forms.
But Allah is defined as a pagan moon god that was created by God.
Your comprehension skills are very childish.
The Jews in Hebrew called the golden calf elohei meaning their god.
El·o·him (l-hm,-hm,-lhm)
n.
A name for God in the Hebrew Scriptures.

----------

[Hebrew 'lhîm, pl. of 'lah, god; see l in Semitic roots.]

Atheist use the word God in a negative meaning idiots that worship something that does not exist.

Dubai, UAE

#198199 Jan 1, 2014
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>You are a dumb Muslim.
You do not know God.
Allah is a pagan moon god!
Christian
Pagan moon is your god that crucified by jews as punishment,

It is first time I hear god punished by people ( john 19

If he can't save his self so how he will save you in judgement day lol

Pagan because you worship statues of punished man

Dubai, UAE

#198200 Jan 1, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Shamma has not the mental capacities to bring forth his arguments, and such as I don't bother much with him as evident by my posts. In the other hand, you are not that different from him.
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
So funny

I didn't see any evident you provide so you look like Shammaa not me be precious

While when I said jesus was killed by jews I provide you evidence from bible so there is no salvation

I post link video jew saying we r proud to kill jesus

So you lair just like sick shamma

Sodom and gamhora was punished because they practiced homosexual

“Repent and worship God”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#198201 Jan 1, 2014
ericfromchi wrote:
<quoted text>I am glad that you concede my point on ritual washing by Jews.

The Arab didn't descend from Abraham. According to Muslim belief Muhammad descended from Abraham. Arabs existed prior to Abraham and independent of Ishmael. Very few are said to be descendants of Abraham.

You have to try a better Arab/English dictionary and explain the word "aboulation". I normally can make out what you are saying. But this one is puzzling.
So who are the ishmaelites now in 2014?

Dubai, UAE

#198202 Jan 1, 2014
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>God is going to destroy Islam.
Muslims are insane!
Their pagan god Allah demand's Muslims to fight and kill for him.
That is not a god , that is a demon from hell!
Haha haaaaa

God doesn't destroy muslim but those are hater of muslim

Killer christian lol

Israel

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

God in bible ordered to kill who commit homosexual lol

So there is order to kill you

Plus god in bible send angel to Sodom and ghamora to punish them and in his wayy he told Abraham peace be upon him that he is going to destroy people who is committing homosexual then angel destroy it

Clear order poor you

So you r wrong about muslim

Dubai, UAE

#198203 Jan 1, 2014
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>It already happened.
You are ignorant and kiss the ass of your madman Muhammad who worshiped the pagan moon god Allah.
You are an Muhammad ass kisser that believes a true God ask his followers to kill non-Muslims that reject Muhammad.
No god is worthy of worship that commands his followers to kill those that do not belive in him..
No muslim not guy

Those are christian go and kiss ass of crucified statues

playing role of women lol

Of course because you r ignorance women don't look at you

You will not reach the dust of prophet muhammad peace be upon him shoes

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#198204 Jan 1, 2014
No-Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha haaaaa
God doesn't destroy muslim but those are hater of muslim
Killer christian lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =B4TImRv4ELAXX
Israel
God in bible ordered to kill who commit homosexual lol
So there is order to kill you
Plus god in bible send angel to Sodom and ghamora to punish them and in his wayy he told Abraham peace be upon him that he is going to destroy people who is committing homosexual then angel destroy it
Clear order poor you
So you r wrong about muslim
rabbee: syria!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Archaeology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Airport runway battle heats up in Macon (Mar '09) Aug 15 Curious 31
News Ruby Rose reveals John Wick 2 co-star Keanu Ree... Aug 14 daredevil82 2
News Archaeologists in Serbia Unearth Ancient Spells... Aug 14 srbosjek 2
News Tonga's Nukuleka, the birth place of Polynesia (Jan '08) Aug 11 Faa Samoa 1,978
News Preservation unit under probe - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Jul '16 Georgina 45
Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts ... Jul '16 moabdallah 1
News On This Day: King Tut's Tomb Unsealed (Jan '13) Jul '16 Antonia 4
More from around the web